Thread: Morini Grip Paste

Morini Grip Paste

Has anybody used Morini Grip Paste?

Some years ago I used Hammerli Grip Paste to improve the grip on my LP1.

It was brown in colour and you mixed the hardener with the paste then applied the paste to the grip, wetted your hand, gripped the pistol for about a minute and a half until the paste started to set, the result was a very well fitted grip.

I have searched the www to see if this product is still available but can only find Morini Grip Paste, I was wondering if anyone has experience of the Morini paste, is it used in the same way?
    "This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours"

Hello Silversurfer,

Morini Grip Paste is just two part wood filler at six times the price! I have two pistols with 'Joy Plastic Wood', and I have just done the grip on my brand new Morini with Homebase wood filler (other DIY stores are available!!) this has been fine. I put the filler on, sqashed it about, shaped it with a wet finger and repeated until it felt 'right' the result has been a lovely grip, a perfect fit, out of a pot of filler that cost six quid.....and I've still got half a pot of it!
    . If you'd like any advice on how to shape a grip then message me.

Regards,
    Fierynick

+Keep Calm and Shoot Tens+

Thanks for the reply Fireynick. I have used Milliput and other two part wood fillers to model grips in the past but none as good as the Hammerli paste.

I was hoping for some feedback from someone who has first hand knowledge of the Morini paste. Have you actually tried it?

I've not actually tried it, I'm sure its very good, but it is juat rebranded wood filler, Morini aren't going to go the the expense of making their own. If you do use it could you post a review on here? I'd be interested to know how good it is. I wish that I had video'd myself doing my own grip, there seems to be little practical advice on how to tailor grips.
    Fierynick

Science Putty :)

I've always wondered where to start with remoulding a grip.
    You could put filler almost anywhere and then grip the pistol.
    The filler will reform to some extent, but it can easily fool you into thinking it must be a better fit than before.
    You could end up with a grip that's too large, even though it seems to fit your hand.

I've just been experimenting with some Science Putty that came from the Science Museum - just a toy really.
    This is weird stuff that softens easily in the hand and flows like a very viscous liquid - it also bounces if you drop it!
    Anyway, I layered small amounts onto my grip and squeezed it in my hand.
    The putty gradually flows into the hollows and can easily be peeled off the high spots.
    I tried to keep as much of the original grip profile as possible.
    This way you can easily see where any filler would be needed.

Just take a couple of photos and you will know where to stick permanent filler.
    Removes some of the the guesswork.

Pistol Grip Shaping

This article gives advice on grip shaping.

http://www.pistol-shooting.com/grip-modifications.php

P38

Hello Again,
    I have had my grip re-sculpted for me today by an international coach and expert in such things.... He uses 'P38', which is. Two part car body filler. I held the grip as required whilst the paste hardened, and then had my hand peeled away from the grip. The grip was then rounded off a bit with a Dremmel sanding tool.
    . I am assured by him that P38 is the same compound as Morini grip paste, but at a fraction of the cost.
    I hope that this has been of some help.

Regards,
    Fierynick

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Quote Originally Posted by essjay View Post
    I've always wondered where to start with remoulding a grip.
    You could put filler almost anywhere and then grip the pistol.
    The filler will reform to some extent, but it can easily fool you into thinking it must be a better fit than before.
    Steve
    We do have one of the top coaches in the country in the club, George, (the current GB pistol coach in air and free), he is very good at sorting grips.
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Chaps,
    Mr Darling will certainly know how to sculpt a grip! I would suggest he would be the man to talk to if he is local to you.....
    Regards,
    Fierynick

One good idea when using grip paste or filler of any type is to put a layer of cling film on the grip first as it means that if you don't get it right first time or if you want to sell it on it is much easier to remove.

If you need so little paste or filler that it doesn't stay attached to the grip on it's own then you stick it on with a little rubber based glue which will still be easier to remove if you should want to.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    Steve
    We do have one of the top coaches in the country in the club, George, (the current GB pistol coach in air and free), he is very good at sorting grips.
    Robin
    Hi Robin,
    I know George knows his stuff .....
    I just wanted to say that Science Putty is a good way of showing where to add filler.
    I suppose I could have suggested using Marzipan - this would have been more festive
    Hope you're having fun.
    SJ

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Quote Originally Posted by essjay View Post
    Hi Robin,
    Hope you're having fun.
    SJ
    Hi Steve
    Bored stiff, Bah Humbug!
    have fun,
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?