Thread: CP88 Slide/Magazine Release Lever

CP88 Slide/Magazine Release Lever

Does anyone else find that the slide/magazine release lever on the CP88 can be very stiff on each first use, then it works fine on the subsequent use? It seems that the spring on the slide is strong and the maybe somehow the release lever binds up internally on each first use.

It looks as though this fault is restricted to your example mate....!!

Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    It was bought new this year and has always been stiff, I put it down to poor design, but if no one else has the same issue, I may take it back. Out of interest does the slide come off when changing the barrel (to a 6" competition)? I'm wondering if the lever can be inspected inside?

Cp88

The slide does come off, complete with the barrel. All you need to do is remove the Allen screw at the front of the slide. This is just below the muzzle. If you then hold the slide and turn the release lever until it is vertical, the slide/barrel can be slid forward along its rail. Be aware that there is some slight spring pressure which will push the slide forwards. You can then access the internals of the lever, and also the slide locking system. My own CP88s don't have a problem with stiffness of the lever, so it looks as though yours needs some lube, or a trip to the seller. The only problem with opening it up is it may invalid any warranty.

To reassemble, fit the spring over the guide rod piece, locate the slide on its rails, set the release lever to vertical, and push the slide into place. The slide can then be locked by moving the lever anticlockwise. Replace the Allen screw and the job's a goodun. If the spring guide falls out during disassembly, it drops back into the frame with the groove at the top and as far to the rear as it will go. The front of the spring locates in a channel at the bottom of the slide, directly behind the fixing screw hole.
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    The slide does come off, complete with the barrel. All you need to do is remove the Allen screw at the front of the slide. This is just below the muzzle. If you then hold the slide and turn the release lever until it is vertical, the slide/barrel can be slid forward along its rail. Be aware that there is some slight spring pressure which will push the slide forwards. You can then access the internals of the lever, and also the slide locking system. My own CP88s don't have a problem with stiffness of the lever, so it looks as though yours needs some lube, or a trip to the seller. The only problem with opening it up is it may invalid any warranty.

To reassemble, fit the spring over the guide rod piece, locate the slide on its rails, set the release lever to vertical, and push the slide into place. The slide can then be locked by moving the lever anticlockwise. Replace the Allen screw and the job's a goodun. If the spring guide falls out during disassembly, it drops back into the frame with the groove at the top and as far to the rear as it will go. The front of the spring locates in a channel at the bottom of the slide, directly behind the fixing screw hole.
    Thanks for the most excellent guide. I took it apart and found the black release lever was working fine and was very well lubricated. The cam on the lever operates a tilting table which was also nice and free. The tilting table pushes down the two vertical plates that abutt against the vertical shoulders inside the slide. These were completely void of any lubrication. The gun had been assembled with some of that spray white grease (the sort garages spray car hinges with), but was in the wrong place; non was where the four vertical faces meet. I think the combination of lack of lubrication, possible wear deposits (steel plates against alloy slide) and pressure from the spring caused it to lock/freeze up, particularly on first use. Seems better now it is properly lubricated; it will probably improve over time as the four faces wear smooth and will need periodic maintenance/lubrication.

Photos to follow.
    Last edited by Aimstraight; 21-12-2013 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    Unfortunately thats the second gun I have bought new that did not work as well as it should have

All guns bought used have been fine - seems the way to go in future

CP88 Needs to be Properly Lubricated

Bearing in mind this gun is only a few months old, see below the offending part. The upright plates are operated by the slide/magazine lever. They did not have any lubrication on them (they were bone dry):
    http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps704e1a0c.jpg

The slide/mag lever (black) was nicely lubricated with oil, the tilting table (silver) was free, but I had to apply grease to the upright plates (silver) that engage with the slide:
    http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps9d8027c1.jpg

This photo is blurred, but it shows the barrel (black) and the vertical shoulder inside the slide (silver) that engages with the vertical plates operated by the slide/mag release lever. I had to re-distribute the supplied white grease onto the vertical shoulders as shown:
    http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps10b6dc91.jpg

In fact this did not solve the problem. I applied more grease, but in the end removed the grease and applied a small amount of oil to the plates and slide shoulders which finally made the mechanism work smoothly....like it should have done for a new gun.

Subsequently applied a small amount of Bisley Gun Grease instead of the oil. I was informed that this type of grease (Molybdenum Disulphide based) coats really well; thats true and the mechanism now operates really smoothly.
    Last edited by Aimstraight; 27-12-2013 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Bisley Grease Added