Thread: new

Thumbs up new

new to the world of air rifles getting a spring/break barrel what is classed as heavy I have seen one 7lb in weight
    is this ok I am 5 ft 8 & 14.5 stone
    cheers fishing7

Quote Originally Posted by FISHING7 View Post
    new to the world of air rifles getting a spring/break barrel what is classed as heavy I have seen one 7lb in weight
    cheers fishing7
    No, I'd say you're too heavy

.22LR CZ452; .22 Hornet CZ527
    Tikka T3 Varmint .223; .204 Ruger CZ527 Varmint;
    6.5 Creed Bergara B14 HMR

7 pound is fairly average for a springer. Remember the greater the weight the lower the recoil.

Welcome, I am a newbie too!

I'm 5ft 6ins and 9.5 stone. I can shoulder my HW80 and HW35 both at the same time no problem.....

But I can't group my target very well....

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
    No, I'd say you're too heavy
    yes.......welcome matey
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

more importantly what is your budget and what kind of shooting do you plan to do with it.

Thumbs up

rabbit hunting budget about £200 thinking gammo hunter 440 & scope
    cheers

Welcome to the forum.

7 lb is actually pretty light for a rifle.

A 9.5 lb rifle is generally classed as heavy.

I am about your height and 11.5 stones in weight - I am quite happy with heavier rifles.

Get to a shop and shoulder a few rifles - Your concerns about rifle weight may well be put to rest.

Cheers,

Spring

Quote Originally Posted by FISHING7 View Post
    cheers fishing7
    /// *Now*: HW95KS (.177) /// HW45 (.177) - FOR SALE /// \\\ *Then*: Pro Sport (.177) \\\ HW97K (.22) \\\ HW100KT (.177) \\\ SMK XS20 (.22) \\\

Quote Originally Posted by spring3r View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

Get to a shop and shoulder a few rifles
    Hi Fishing7.
    As above, a very warm welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of air powered toys!

Do as Spring says. Even better, if possible, get to a club. Talk to members there. They'll be a nice, friendly bunch and will be more than happy to let you have a go, so you can get more of an idea as to what will suit you best.

Please don't rush in and buy something as it looks tempting price-wise, or going by advertising blurb. Try and get views of people that have owned the gun you're considering.

And remember, amongst all the hard facts, personal opinion also comes into play.

Personally, (but, I admit I'm a little biased and a big fan), I'd be looking at a HW99. Or a used 95 or 80.
    If buying a new gun, and if budget is the biggest factor, the Hatsan 55/60 very possibly offer the best price/quality/performance ratio on the current market.

Feel free to fire away with any other questions/advice required.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Er, yes, sorry, meant to include on previous post...and I don't want to seem like a boring, patronising type, BUT.

If you're new to it, whatever rifle you get, please don't be getting straight out there shooting wild creatures....

You need to put the time in......Learn to shoot the rifle PROPERLY. Your maximum hunting range is the range at which you can CONSISTENTLY land all shots within a half inch circle....For some people, that can be TEN yards!!
    Test a selection of pellets. Once you have chosen the most accurate one in YOUR gun, stick with it. Practice at all ranges, up to your maximum. Take note of the trajectory. Learn the effects of wind drift. Learn where pellets strike if aiming up or down.

Study fieldcraft and study your intended quarry.

Effective hunting with an air rifle takes time. Time and practice. It takes years of experience. At least nowadays, you have the magazines and the Internet to learn from....and especially the BBS.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Er, yes, sorry, meant to include on previous post...and I don't want to seem like a boring, patronising type, BUT.

If you're new to it, whatever rifle you get, please don't be getting straight out there shooting wild creatures....

You need to put the time in......Learn to shoot the rifle PROPERLY. Your maximum hunting range is the range at which you can CONSISTENTLY land all shots within a half inch circle....For some people, that can be TEN yards!!
    Test a selection of pellets. Once you have chosen the most accurate one in YOUR gun, stick with it. Practice at all ranges, up to your maximum. Take note of the trajectory. Learn the effects of wind drift. Learn where pellets strike if aiming up or down.

Study fieldcraft and study your intended quarry.

Effective hunting with an air rifle takes time. Time and practice. It takes years of experience. At least nowadays, you have the magazines and the Internet to learn from....and especially the BBS.
    I know practise practise practise
    cheers

Hi bud.
    also 5 8. 13 and half a stone. brung up on lee enfield 303 and 762s.
    came to airguns and went straight to BSA superstar as it was almost the same weight.
    stayed off light ones as i remember my kiddie ones. the paratrooper etc.
    then got into pre charged and TACs. loved em. easy to carry.
    now looking into co2. SMK have a couple of full blown hunters. i am also into homebrew so always have capsules to hand.
    how will it fit your hand. i have fat fingers. an AA400 seems small to me. but it works for me.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.