Thread: Mas36

Mas36

Well I haven't seen anything about this rifle on here, so a few praises must be sung.

I'm an avid collector of military surplus firearms, I own various Enfields, a Mauser K98K, P14, Carcano, and a Mosin Nagant. The Mas36, however, is still one of the prides of my collection, despite being probably the ugliest rifle there.

The bolt has 2 rearward locking lugs that oppose each other, they are HUGE though and provide a large surface area to the receiver. The bolt itself is a big chunky thing and totally encases the cartridge head. The bolts design allows for rapid manipulation, it has a short throw and the angled handle decreases the amount of turn required to open the bolt. The sights are a simple and large, ideal for snap shooting, and were probably pretty good for their intended military use. The sights do let themselves down in terms of target shooting, there simply ins't the adjustment available, but to be fair it wasn't designed with this purpose in mind.

Recoil is minimal for a rifle of its length and the 7.5 round is a fantastic round, but, it's only obtainable through PPU, and frankly I've found their rounds to be rather inconsistent with many being undercharged.

All in all it's a great, albeit ugly rifle to use, something I'd have no intention of selling anytime soon.

Yep I have one as well. its a mas 36/51. its a great gun!

Remember the ugly ones try harder

And of course like all french arms it is like new, having never been fired and only thrown on the ground once

Milsurps

All avid collectors of Milsurps should have a K31! Interesting read on the Mas 36. Must be a lot of them about but I don't think I have seen one for sale.

Mike95

My little girl had a few shots with one on Boxing Day, she said she prefers it to my No. 4.

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/...ps00666465.jpg
    "Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."

Most new fullbore shooters who have used my MAS prefer it to most others, it's light, the sights are idiot proof and recoil compared to most other rifles is very manageable.

Dave,

An interesting write-up on your MAS. I used to shoot a friends some years ago - a job lot of them must have come onto the market in the late 1990's when he bought it as I remember the 'Target Gun' magazine did a review on one.

The MAS was designed right at the end of the bolt action era & was almost certainly the last 'new' design to be put into service by a main military power.

A very worthy rifle to own.

Regards
    Russell

Russell, I actually wrote a review of one back in 2010 for the online Target Shooter magazine.

I still thoroughly enjoy mine, will always, though they are harder and harder to come by, to the point that I'm looking at getting another from the continent.

It was the last 'new design' to be made, Madsen did make a bolt gun, the M1947, it never really caught on, but it did have some really cool features on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_303 View Post
    Russell, I actually wrote a review of one back in 2010 for the online Target Shooter magazine.

I still thoroughly enjoy mine, will always, though they are harder and harder to come by, to the point that I'm looking at getting another from the continent.

It was the last 'new design' to be made, Madsen did make a bolt gun, the M1947, it never really caught on, but it did have some really cool features on it.
    Dave,

I'm sure I saved some of those electronic issues, I'll have to have a look for your 2010 article.

The review I was thinking of was in the print edition, around the mid/late 90’s from memory. I should still have the issue somewhere, I'll scan & post it if I can find it.

Regards
    Russell

Russell

Here is a link to an online archive of the article, Page 18

http://www.scribd.com/doc/30763872/T...ooter-May-2010

I would love to see one from the 90s!