Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CP88, makarov or what?

Hi, forum only started this year.
    I have just activated a couple of users in the last hour so hopefully you are one of those.
    You can file the original valve as you suspected, possibly not as good a flow as the Skober but it does help

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazmati2020 View Post
    Hi, forum only started this year.
    I have just activated a couple of users in the last hour so hopefully you are one of those.
    You can file the original valve as you suspected, possibly not as good a flow as the Skober but it does help
    Must've been a different one, it was when I last had a mak. My account is now open, thanks!

Loads of interesting stuff in there, having a good dig about now. Are the brown gen 5 grips ok to use or shockingly horrid?
    My ignore list: ​<Hidden information>

The brown gen 5 are genuine Bakalite soviet issue, all good

You can buy Bakalite for the gen 1-4's also (high capacity model) also genuine (I have a set on my gen 1) better fit for my hands than stock version. Custom wood grips also out there as well as rubber.

Hope you enjoy the MPA, lots and lots of good information and help there

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I want a well made, dinky pistol with some power and potential for informal targets and plinking at medium ranges.

It will live in my coat pocket while I'm out shooting or walking the dog (only on my permissions obviously).
    Ive had both the above and the CP was ok as I recall, but the makarov felt very well put together. The new Gen 5's slimmer looks and milled slide appeal greatly. Has anyone dremelled the valve out and fitted a stronger hammer spring? Did it make any difference?

Any suggestions other than these?
    Hi Tinny,

Hope you're okay matey.

Of all the very compact pistols I really fancy the looks of the little Baikal and Umarex Walther PPK.
    However, I have not personally handled one but would guess that it's the Baikal that would boast the more robust build? Maybe slightly more utilitarian, but then I like that sort of thing anyway. And it's SO compact....

BUT....A few things put me off these little BB firing gems....Mainly the need for a different backstop. I can't just blat away at home, so more clinical, accurate shooting, with a proper backstop is the only way for me at home.

You mention informal targets, plinking and medium range use.....I'm guessing that any potential accuracy will go downhill beyond about 7 or 8 yards? So, although I can see the fun side of these, I feel that they could also frustrate, ultimately.....I was enjoying reading Phill Price's review on that lovely looking, well-priced Luger in AGW this month.....until you get to the bit mentioning 2" groups at six yards!

Howz about the good old Ratty? Nice and compact. Can easily approach the 6ft.lbs limit. If you turn the power down, you'd get more shots per capsule and reduce the noise, as they do crack a little. Very accurate. Lots of tuning and customising goodies and a wealth of information out there. Brilliant value for money. The only disadvantage would be lack of quick fire facility, but they're easy and quick to re-load. And that accuracy and power makes longer range shots a very real possibility.

I too love the look of the Benjamin, for it's olde worlde classic looks, but the Ratty's much cheaper and lots of goodies to trick it up once you feel the need.

Have a look on the Crosman website, also, for a MASSIVE range of other pistols.

Cheers,

Tone.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Or this month's fashion accessory - a Tempest!
    Just found some info on these new, horrid Turkish abominations! 400 fps in .22 and 500 in .177!! I mean, bloomin 'eck!

Small, self contained, unique and iconic design, small and now powerful as well? What's not to like?

And last forever, I still shoot the Tempest my dad bought for me in 1982. Never been taken apart, never had anything done to it (unlike every other airgun I've ever had)

The Tempest is very different from the CP88 and Makarov! However, it is a very good self contained springer, a pleasure to handle. When not cocked and no pellet in, its as safe as it gets for carrying (unlike a gun loaded with CO2 and pellets/BBs with the safety on).

You can pay around £155 - £170 for a new Turkish model, or around £80 for a good used British shooter (collectors/boxed examples cost much more). A thread by Clarky concludes the Turkish has a stiffer (circular section) spring. The build quality of the new Turkish example that I have is inferior to the older British version (fact), but other folk have not had any problems.
    Last edited by Aimstraight; 28-12-2013 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Safety can not be set on the Tempest when not cocked.

Just found some info on these new, horrid Turkish abominations! 400 fps in .22 and 500 in .177!! I mean, bloomin 'eck!

Small, self contained, unique and iconic design, small and now powerful as well? What's not to like?
    And you could bring it to the next bash, matey!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

I don't know if the hard spring in the Turkish ones is a good idea, but I have a nice condition Birmingham version in .22 if you're interested mate...

Personally, I wouldn't give a foreign Webley house room, and I can never get on with Webley pissles in .177 for some reason

[QUOTE=Rickenbacker;6217629]I don't know if the hard spring in the Turkish ones is a good idea, but I have a nice condition Birmingham version in .22 if you're interested mate...

Personally, I wouldn't give a foreign Webley house room, and I can never get on with Webley pissles in .177 for some reason [/QUOTE

Seems like a plan; my British 0.22 is much nicer to handle (cock and shoot) than my Turkish 0.177.

I have a mint, boxed .22 Brumpest.....bargain (and from a dealer, £60!) last year!
    Love it. Compact, self-contained, stacks of character and iconic design.
    I hear that you can now also buy a new Turkish one for £150, pistol only, rather than the Centennial one at £200 ish?

However, if we're going to talk springers, c'mon Tinny...Yes you'll need slightly more pocket room (ooo, er), but....the HW45. More power, more finesse, better accuracy, awesome trigger. Colt 1911 looks. These things are awesome. Biker bob sold a minter on here the other day for £170 I think it was.

Go on, you know you want it.......

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I have a mint, boxed .22 Brumpest.....bargain (and from a dealer, £60!) last year!
    Love it. Compact, self-contained, stacks of character and iconic design.
    I hear that you can now also buy a new Turkish one for £150, pistol only, rather than the Centennial one at £200 ish?

However, if we're going to talk springers, c'mon Tinny...Yes you'll need slightly more pocket room (ooo, er), but....the HW45. More power, more finesse, better accuracy, awesome trigger. Colt 1911 looks. These things are awesome. Biker bob sold a minter on here the other day for £170 I think it was.

Go on, you know you want it.......
    The HW45 is not a pistol. It is an abomination of a rifle in a buttless guise! I've had maybe three or four. They look good on paper, but then you get them, hold them, have a little weep and sell them on.......
    Last edited by tinbum; 29-12-2013 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    I don't know if the hard spring in the Turkish ones is a good idea, but I have a nice condition Birmingham version in .22 if you're interested mate...

Personally, I wouldn't give a foreign Webley house room, and I can never get on with Webley pissles in .177 for some reason
    5.56mm? Pm me big boy!

Compared to the HW45 the Tempest is Dinky!

5.56mm? Pm me big boy!
    I don't think Tempests are 5.56 mate... the cal. is stamped on the frontsight flat, I'll dig it out, have a look, then email you (i emailed you earlier too, did you get it? I was changing some smtp settings stuff, so you might not have?)