Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CP88, makarov or what?

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    The HW45 is not a pistol. It is an abomination of a rifle in a buttless guise! I've had maybe three or four. They look good on paper, but then you get them, hold them, have a little weep and sell them on.......
    Yeah! And the sights are too high off the ground

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Bigjob on the UBC forum has made a 2.5" barreled smith and wesson, one of those would make a great pocket gun...
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    AF-10 SSP pistol? Like a Compact without the anatomical grip? Lots of plastic, 2 FPE, and a shit trigger I expect.
    Think you're confusing AF10 with PR45. I have both and did own Compact too. I love the little AF. Its As small as the TFW! The AF has rifled barrel and can, through a unique design, load BB's and pellets. Most accurate with pellets at up to 20ft but not a powerful pistol. The PR45 is the Compact but with normal grips which I prefer. The trigger springs on both guns need weakening a little then they're fine. ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

For what you want it for I would say you would be better off with a spring gun CO2 guns are fine but its not good to leave a capsule of gas in all of the time and if you put a fresh one in every time you go out it is going to get a bit expensive. I am a big fan of the old webley senior and premier pistols they are the same size as a colt 1911 and with practice can be quite accurate and most of all do not go wrong if looked after you can leave it on the side for months then just pick it up and put it in your pocket and go all you need is some pellets and that is it.

[QUOTE=Aimstraight;6217639]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    I don't know if the hard spring in the Turkish ones is a good idea, but I have a nice condition Birmingham version in .22 if you're interested mate...

Personally, I wouldn't give a foreign Webley house room, and I can never get on with Webley pissles in .177 for some reason [/QUOTE

Seems like a plan; my British 0.22 is much nicer to handle (cock and shoot) than my Turkish 0.177.

Guys, I don't have any royalty rights on this new Tempest but really think you are being a bit hard on it.
    Try to handle/shoot one first. If anything you might prefer it. 5 members at my club who took the trouble to handle and shoot it (Not including the others who never had Brummy Tempests) all agreed they preferred it.
    The matt finish of the paint and the grip proved most appealing to everyone. The wide blade trigger has a nicer feel and more importantly, the modern 4.5mm European pellet is a nicer (slightly looser) fit in the excellent rifled bore. We all marginally outshot the Brummy Tempest we had in same cal ... the Turkish version making approx. 25fps more than the Brummy one which was no slouch at 450fps.
    There is also less of the gawdy white lettering slapped over it and the wretched roll pins chucked out for solid pins
    All in, the gun is slightly better if anything IMO but I was never one for holding on too tight to a British product that had no improvement in over 20 years.
    Yes, I think they missed a trick to not go a bit longer (sight base/stroke etc) and maybe a nice little click adjust sight but I guess that's too much to ask.
    I think the original reasons for less than impressed reports was owing to early teething troubles with the first production run.
    Great pocket pistol with a good 475 fps going for it.
    Last edited by clarky; 29-12-2013 at 06:47 PM.

CP88 or Makarov

Hi

The question is realistic or not ? The Makarov is as close as you will get to a real steel and with a few mods is a fine pistol. The CP88 again a good piece of kit but lacks realisim.

Regards Ric

The Baikal Makarov will last forever as it is made of steel. They shoot just as well with lead bb as steel so no worries re ricochets. Will easily hit Coke cans at 10-15 yards. Mine groups inside 2" at 7 yards with lead bb. The perfect plinker.
    Also......they hold there price. A used one will sell for slightly less than a new one all day long, you can't loose.

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    The Baikal Makarov will last forever as it is made of steel. They shoot just as well with lead bb as steel so no worries re ricochets. Will easily hit Coke cans at 10-15 yards. Mine groups inside 2" at 7 yards with lead bb. The perfect plinker.
    Also......they hold there price. A used one will sell for slightly less than a new one all day long, you can't loose.

Pete.
    +1 if you want co2 or if a springer a Webley junior Mk2 rifled (small and light)

[QUOTE=clarky;6218026]
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post

Guys, I don't have any royalty rights on this new Tempest but really think you are being a bit hard on it.
    Try to handle/shoot one first. If anything you might prefer it. 5 members at my club who took the trouble to handle and shoot it (Not including the others who never had Brummy Tempests) all agreed they preferred it.
    The matt finish of the paint and the grip proved most appealing to everyone. The wide blade trigger has a nicer feel and more importantly, the modern 4.5mm European pellet is a nicer (slightly looser) fit in the excellent rifled bore. We all marginally outshot the Brummy Tempest we had in same cal ... the Turkish version making approx. 25fps more than the Brummy one which was no slouch at 450fps.
    There is also less of the gawdy white lettering slapped over it and the wretched roll pins chucked out for solid pins
    All in, the gun is slightly better if anything IMO but I was never one for holding on too tight to a British product that had no improvement in over 20 years.
    Yes, I think they missed a trick to not go a bit longer (sight base/stroke etc) and maybe a nice little click adjust sight but I guess that's too much to ask.
    I think the original reasons for less than impressed reports was owing to early teething troubles with the first production run.
    Great pocket pistol with a good 475 fps going for it.
    I remember that, on another thread, you'd said the same, matey. And you obviously know your stuff.
    As per my post above, I'm pretty sure that you can now buy these as just the pistol and not the cased special package, saving £50 on the purchase price.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

I've got over a dozen Brum Tempests now, and one Turkish Centennial I got off the forum not long after they were released. All I can say is that the Birmingham ones exhibit 'variable' build quality over the years, but the Turkish unit is very nicely made and shoots as well as the best of the others...

[QUOTE=clarky;6218026]
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post

The wide blade trigger has a nicer feel...
    UK made Tempests and Hurricanes also had wider triggers during the last few years of production

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    Guys, I don't have any royalty rights on this new Tempest but really think you are being a bit hard on it...
    150 or 200 quid for a 'made under licence' fake Tempest?

When you can buy a HW50s brand new for 199...?

I see nothing wrong with slagging something off that I've never seen. Particularly if its foreign!

Some of the previous threads have somehow mixed up qoutes (#39 and 41 incorrectly attributes to me); no worries.

From other feedback on the forum, the Turkish Tempest seems to be well liked. I am now getting to use mine after a number of quality issues. It was bought new mid year from a shop which I think has a reasonable turn around of stock - would not expect it to be an early model but who knows.

1) Barrel tight, the smallest pellets I can find (Crossman Domed and RWS Geco) all need to be put through a Sizerpac to get them in the barrel, most other pellets will not go in properly.
    2) Excessive play between the barrel and alloy casting (compared to other Turkish Tempest and British Tempest) had contributed to failure of two breach seals.
    3) The seal for the Turkish has a smaller diameter and occasionally fell out of its housing. I finally fitted a seal from a British Tempest (larger diameter); custom fitted to the housing.
    4) Also had to fit packing behind the seal to make a better fit on the barrel. The sloppy fit of the barrel in the alloy casting necessitated a seal that would ensure a firm seal to barrel (to prevent wobble). It's now working fine.

It was only the fact that my British Tempest (bought later) worked perfectly that encouraged me to get the Turkish working properly.
    Last edited by Aimstraight; 29-12-2013 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Typo

Apologies Aimstraight, I quoted off #39. All credit to Clarky...

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    +1 if you want co2 or if a springer a Webley junior Mk2 rifled (small and light)
    The Junior Mk 2 is a great little pistol, accurate and powerful (for its size).