Quote Originally Posted by sandy22 View Post
Sounds like eagle over N. Standard German nitro proof mark. I presume the eagle is facing your left, not its own left(?)
Yes, it is the bundesadler - the post-WW2 era/1945-48 proof stamp. Between those dates and the adoption of the commonly-seen symbols, there was no location identifier. Both Ulm and Oberndorf - both on the Neckar River - use the same half-antler.

There is no 'hammer' on a bolt-action rifle - I think you mean the firing-pin/striker assembly. Your little rifle is a very basic model, commonly called a knabenbuchse, or 'boy's rifle' - a first firearm for a young budding sportsman.

I think that this may be something like your rifle - http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...w_22_side_.jpg I suspect that it might even be Model 1307, if the bolt handle is fitted with a knob and not flat. They were made, unchanged, from around 1933 to around 1955. The sling swivels on the barrel are typical of European guns - rifled and smooth-bored, to this day.

It is not valuable, but is of interest to an old fart like me that likes older guns. In the USA such a little rifle is worth around $200-250, but here in UK I have no idea. Whatever, I do not recommend that you do anything to it that would reduce its value - such as the scope-mounting modifications that you suggest. Personally, I would leave it as it is and keep it for what it is, not for what it is not. It is decidedly NOT a long-range sporting rifle of the scoped variety - if Anschutz had intended for it to have a scope, then they would have made it so.

My $0.02.

tac

PS - sometime it might be a plan to get ahold of a definitive list of gun-related descriptive terminology, so that we are all talking about the same bits and pieces when we are describing guns and parts thereof.