HI thanks for the input.. The eagle is looking to My left
but the stamp underneath no matter haw hard i look at it i can't see a N as the right side is like a V and the left side like a N but the bottom right side of the n is lower than the left..
that's why i said it looked like a I V with the V stamped a bit lower.. there are three in all... barrel, breech, and bolt they all look exactly the same size and shape just that on the barrel the stamp must have been leaning forward as the lower edge of the wing is fainter. But the letters underneath are a separate stamp and done a little harder. If it's an N then the right leg of the N is leaning out to the right.. and the left vertical stroke has a horizontal capping top and bottom but not on the right. That's a sloppy N for me but that might be how that did it...

Anyway.. so it's before 1958, and does the eagle and the N or IV make it collectible or valuable enough to stop me from drilling holes to attach a mounting rail for a scope...It's bloody accurate.. and i would love to use it with a half decent scope.
Colin