Thread: 2013 6 yard MPL Rankings and First Series Overview.

2013 6 yard MPL Rankings and First Series Overview.

I will show the final rankings gained by all of the competitors that took part in the first series of the 6 yard MPL Postal Competition here along with an overview of the event that may encourage a few more to take part in the second series that will start in January 2014 and run until the end of June.

Due to us still being in the middle of the Christmas and New Year holidays I will have to come back and keep adding to this thread until I get it all done, but here at least is a start.

The MPL series was devised to encourage people to take part in an air pistol competition that was fun and enjoyable as well as being very affordable as we restricted the types of air pistol that could be used to those that needed some effort ( muscle power) to cock them and so this included spring powered air pistols as well as single stroke pneumatic air pistols but ruled out the use of the (often much more expensive) PCP and CO2 powered pistols that required no effort to cock and already dominated all of the other existing air pistol competitions.

The original series was for 10 meter shooting and so it was intended to be shot on club ranges. This worked well but I became aware of a number of shooters that would like to have a go at a competition like this, but they were not able to get to a club that was local to them or they did not have a 10 meter facility to use.

My thoughts immediately returned to the time when I started shooting air pistol ( many many years ago!) and how much I enjoyed shooting from home at 6 yard targets and later entering postal competitions with the NSRA and NARPA ( also at 6 yards) so the idea started to emerge that the MPL could easily be adapted to form another type of competition that could firstly be shot at 6 yards and secondly be made into a postal series!

This now made it possible for anyone to take part as it would always be possible to find somewhere at home (or close to home) to shoot at the shorter 6 yard distance and due to the MPL air pistol choice it would be one of the least expensive competitions to take part in and there was little fear that those with more cash could buy any significant advantage with the purchase of an expensive PCP or CO2 match pistol as these are banned form the MPL competitions.

Another huge benefit was (like the 10 meter MPL series) that it was used by many as an excuse to dust-off that long forgotten old "collectable" air pistol (or even to buy one of a type that had been sold and later missed many years ago). The diversity of type and age of air pistols that were used in this competition from Webleys to Feinwerkbaus gave me a lot of pleasure to see as I also took full advantage of the rules's to use a different classic air pistol in every round. - not too good for the best possible scores - but by far the best choice to give the biggest grin!

To some of the us the results were not the most important thing, but taking part in a competition like this most definitely was!

Checking the results from time to time was also very interesting as competitors were asked to include details of the air pistol and pellet type they used in every round and the ever increasing diversity of air pistol and pellet combinations exceeded all expectations - well done to all those that made this such an enjoyable event.

For anyone that is interested in finding an excuse to shoot a classic spring powered or SSP air pistol I cannot think of a better one than to use it by entering the 2014 6 yard MPL Postal Competition.
    Last edited by zooma; 30-12-2013 at 10:12 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

The 2013 6 yard MPL Postal Competition. First Series rankings.

For those that are interested in the results

The competitors names are shown followed by their "pen name" ( if known). If anybody would like to have their full name (or pen name) added or changed please let me know and I will amend the ranking list to include it, but if not then I will leave it as shown here as I know some wish to remain semi-anonymous

BRITISH NATIONAL 6 YARD MPL POSTAL COMPETITION RANKINGS. 2013.

1. Ian Jones. (IJ). * 2013 British 6 Yard MPL Postal Champion. *
    2. David E.
    3. John Gould.
    3. Mark P.
    4. Chris H.
    5. Graham B. (tank).
    6. Mick L. (micken).
    7. Graeme F (appinpar68)
    8. Richard C.
    9. Bob Stiles, (zooma).
    10. Jim Caffrey.
    11. Phil H. (pmh).
    12. Roy T, (retracted_Yeti).
    13. Lee C (nyctophiliac)
    14. Richard Sheppard.
    15. George M (third wheel)
    16. Joe B (joe)
    17. Glyn D (bluesman)
    18. Steve W.
    19. Frank P (baggie boy).
    20. Ray Bouche.
    21. Tim W. (tigercat).
    22. Andrew M. (karandras)
    23. John P (planteater).
    24. Ian H. (ian).
    25. Richard Stiles.(rik)
    26. Jim D (jimmytwobikes).
    27. Simon Hardman.
    28. Len R.

Congratulations to those that completed the series and commiserations for those that could not do so for a variety of reasons.

Let's try to get a bigger entry for this second series - so get your entries in as soon as you can - everybody is welcome - and invite your friends to join-in ( even if you have to lend them an air pistol to do so!).

There is one way to improve your National 6 Yard Ranking and that is by beating the person that is in front of you this next time around - and we all want to see IJ knocked off of his perch (congratulations by the way ) so lets see what we can do
    Last edited by zooma; 31-12-2013 at 09:56 PM.

Pistols and Pellets Used in the 6 Yard MPL Postal Competition.

Here is a list of all of the .177 pistols that are known to have been used in the first series of the 6 yard MPL Postal Competition:-

FAS 604.
    FAS 606.
    Feinwerkbau Model 65.
    Feinwerkbau Model 80.
    Feinwerkbau Model 90.
    GAMO Falcon.
    GAMO Centre.
    GAMO Target.
    GAMO Compact.
    HW 70.
    HW 45.
    HW 45 Silver Star.
    Original Model 5 ( early full wood grip).
    Original Model 5. (full brown plastic grip).
    Original Model 5G.
    Original Model 6.( full brown plastic grip).
    Original Model 6G.
    Original Model 6M.
    Original Model 10.
    Pardini. Model P10.
    Pardini Model K58.
    Walther LP53.
    Webley Mk 1.
    Webley Senior.
    Webley Premier.
    Webley Tempest.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post

1. Ian Jones.
    Boring!!!!
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

^^ zooma, ranked in order of quality presumably?
    ^ I.J., but true presumably?

Where's Thursday night's shoot being held? I'd be interested in coming along meeting fellow MPL pistoleros.

Cheers,

Mick

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)

1. Ian Jones.
    Yes, he most definitely is interested...
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Quote Originally Posted by micken View Post
    ^^ zooma, ranked in order of quality presumably?
    ^ I.J., but true presumably?

Where's Thursday night's shoot being held? I'd be interested in coming along meeting fellow MPL pistoleros.

Cheers,

Mick
    Hi Mick,

You are welcome to join us at RMTC on Thursday night if you can make it, we shoot in (and under ) the Longholme Methodist Church in Rawtenstall from 7 - 10 pm.

Drive to the end of the M66 where it ends on a roundabout in the small town of Rawtenstall. Take the Burnley Road exit and you will see a large ASDA store almost immediately on your left. If you were to park here and look back across the road you will see the last remaining Temperance Bar in the UK and immediately behind it is the Longholme Methodist Church Hall that we shoot in.

The postal code is BB4 6QS.

You are welcome to bring with you any like minded friends that would like to come along with you and have a chat or a shoot ( same price for both) and maybe a suitable rifle so you can also have a go a Bell Target shooting as well as 6 yard and 10 metre pistol shooting whilst you are with us.

There is one way to improve your National 6 Yard Ranking and that is by beating the person that is in front of you this next time around - and we all want to see IJ knocked off of his perch (congratulations by the way ) so lets see what we can do
    What do you think I am a parrot? A parrot?

Due to other competition and family commitments I wont be entering the next 6yd MPL postal competition series so the perch is wide open for a new parrot, I mean champion.

For those newcomers to the series let me give you a bit of advice - 'advi'

Good shooting and good luck to all.

ATB
    Ian

Thanks for the directions Bob, I should be OK for 7-10pm on Thursday. I'll be bringing pistols but no rifle, since mine are not suitable for bell target. I'll also pay for the 2014 MPL whilst I'm there and pick up some extra 6 yard targets if you can have them available please.

ATB

Mick

OK Mick - see you at the RMTC on Thursday - I will bring a 2014 competition pack for you and some spare targets.

ATB - Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    What do you think I am a parrot? A parrot?

Due to other competition and family commitments I wont be entering the next 6yd MPL postal competition series so the perch is wide open for a new parrot, I mean champion.

For those newcomers to the series let me give you a bit of advice - 'advi'

Good shooting and good luck to all.

ATB
    Ian
    That is a good bit of advice Ian

The other rankings have now been completed (see start of thread) and we will be very sorry not to see "Polly" Jones attempting to retain his title for the second season running - however his local postman will probably be very pleased as he will not need to "duck" when approaching the Jones household front door for fear of getting even more .177 holes put in his cap

There is however plenty of time yet for Ian to change his mind to see if he is capable of "doing the double" with his trusty Model 65 against the newcomers challenge and the returning competitors - including John G with his Model 10.

Maybe the pressure is too much for the 2013 British 6 yard MPL Postal Champion but I hope the temptation not to let John G take it away from him will yet prove to be irresistible

That is a good bit of advice Ian

....... - however his local postman will probably be very pleased as he will not need to "duck" when approaching the Jones household front door for fear of getting even more .177 holes put in his cap
    I went to the front door the other morning naked. I dont know what surprised the postman more the fact that I was naked or that I knew where he lived.

John G (Gee) could easily have had my 'title' this series if he had bothered to get off his horse. I will, of course, be watching the results.

ATB
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I went to the front door the other morning naked. I dont know what surprised the postman more the fact that I was naked or that I knew where he lived.

John G (Gee) could easily have had my 'title' this series if he had bothered to get off his horse. I will, of course, be watching the results.

ATB
    Ian
    You will be sadly missed Ian - mainly because you are such a small target.....but we will keep practicing