Thread: HW45 answers

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

HW45 answers

For anyone interested in the 45 I have spent some of my xmas school holiday meddling with one.
    There is a common complaint of dieseling spoiling accuracy and reported poor showing from the MPL leagues suggesting similar problems.
    The mistake being made is tuning for power. It does not require it but it does require accurizing.
    My compression calcs etc revealed that the gun hits a flash point threshold very easily. This thing produces too much heat for oils being introduced (either at the factory or later by home tuners)
    The key is to clean it out completely and run it totally dry. I also noticed that with the steel guide inside the piston (as is often recommended for more power) it produces more inertia. It also removes weight from the muzzle end of the gun as the piston bottoms in the opposite end. De-stabilizing the weight and balance through the shot cycle. I.E weight at the muzzle end suddenly shifting to the rear.
    I tried the guide rod/weight at both ends. While it does appear that you get over 30 fps from the extra inertia of it down inside the piston, it nonetheless makes the gun slightly more difficult to control.
    Given that I would not be using oil, I turned up a fresh guide rod from self lubricating Nylon 66 at placed it in the traditional way around at the muzzle.
    Initially the gun felt less thumpy and shot to shot consistency had gone into SSP territory.
    Result....if you can tolerate the 45 running at 4.7ftlbs (still plenty high enough for me) instead of seeking 5.7ftlbs....running dry and with guide rod at the muzzle end, this thing will place .177 Hobby into 1 inch circles at 10 yds all day long off hand. Tune it with oil and guide rod inverted and you will double the group!
    Last edited by clarky; 01-01-2014 at 11:20 PM.