Thread: AA HFT Combo Choices...

AA HFT Combo Choices...

OK, as much as I've enjoyed my BSA Supersport (except for the strip-down.... *grumbles*) I really want to start getting into it a bit more seriously, try out HFT etc.

Anyway, had a look down Clarke & Co in Camberley (top people BTW - Mike put up with me trying pretty much every rifle they had in left hook on for weight and 'feel') and I narrowed my rifle choice to the HW100 and the S400. However, I really don't need the multishot and as much as I like the HW100's side cocking lever idea... well, it's an extra 200 odd quid for the rifle.

So, now come the hard choices...

1) Classic or Carbine? I think it's got to be carbine, surely?
    2) What silencer? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like hardly anyone uses silencers at competitions. Still, I'd need one for the garden plinking. AA's own or Logun? (is the Logun worth the extra money, am I really going to notice the difference)
    3) Mounts? Any recommendations? OR any two-piece, two-bolt good enough?
    4) Scope? OK, any recommendations here? Don't want to go crazy price-wise, but I want something that I'm not going to regret buying later. It'll just be for HFT, some target shooting in the back garden and some light-duty pidgeon hunting on the off chance the buggers camp in my trees.

OH, and did I make the right choice with the AA S400> (Bet there are some HW100 owners out there with an opinion....)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jingles
    OK, as much as I've enjoyed my BSA Supersport (except for the strip-down.... *grumbles*) I really want to start getting into it a bit more seriously, try out HFT etc.

Anyway, had a look down Clarke & Co in Camberley (top people BTW - Mike put up with me trying pretty much every rifle they had in left hook on for weight and 'feel') and I narrowed my rifle choice to the HW100 and the S400. However, I really don't need the multishot and as much as I like the HW100's side cocking lever idea... well, it's an extra 200 odd quid for the rifle.

So, now come the hard choices...

1) Classic or Carbine? I think it's got to be carbine, surely?

I preferred the classic, I found the balance much more to my liking so try both before you decide.

2) What silencer? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like hardly anyone uses silencers at competitions. Still, I'd need one for the garden plinking. AA's own or Logun? (is the Logun worth the extra money, am I really going to notice the difference)

I found the Logun to be quieter but the new Airstream seems even quieter to me!

3) Mounts? Any recommendations? OR any two-piece, two-bolt good enough?

Pro mounts take some beating for the price, they do the job - enough said.

4) Scope? OK, any recommendations here? Don't want to go crazy price-wise, but I want something that I'm not going to regret buying later. It'll just be for HFT, some target shooting in the back garden and some light-duty pidgeon hunting on the off chance the buggers camp in my trees.

I have just bought a s/h Zeiler 8-32x44 off here and there were several for sale a couple of weeks ago so do a search, they have a ladder type ret and they are superb for hft / ft.

OH, and did I make the right choice with the AA S400> (Bet there are some HW100 owners out there with an opinion....)
    It is down to your personal choice at the end of the day, I have owned both, the HW100 is of a far better build quality imho!

Have you looked at the Daystate X2?

All the best with whatever you decide on

Alan.

I use a 410K for plinking and hunting with the AA silencer, my son has the 400K with Logun. There's very little between the silencers and we've both shot groups of rabbits at 30 - 40 Yds without the others noticing. Not worth the tenners difference. For balance I prefer the K to the classic, for hunting there's more than enough shots and I don't want to scare the quarry by waving a flagpole at them.

I use a 4-12 x 44 Mildot Hawke airmax, primarily due to the AO front lens as I find it easier to focus, 10 mag is my normal for hunting with the option to turn it down at dusk and when scanning the trees for squirrels. Recommend either a mildot, diamond or ladder reticule for hunting, 30/30 don't give as many aim points.

As for your choice, you can't go far wrong with any AA400 series, just make sure it's .177 for HFT.