Thread: .22 Cal. in the MPL

.22 Cal. in the MPL

I would still like to use some older .22's in the MPL league.
    I feel sure there were larger quantities of .22's made in the
    latter half of the 20th century and it would be good to use
    them.Perhaps more people would use Scorpions,240's etc.
    I'm sure one of the organisers could come up with a simple
    rule of deducting a number/percentage from the total which
    would make the older 22 pistols acceptable.
    atb Glyn

Hi Glen,

All competition air pistol target shooting is shot with the one .177 calibre, but the MPL is an excellent competition that encourages the use of all classic spring powered and single stroke pneumatic air pistols.

If you can find enough .22 air pistol shooters to join you and shoot in the MPL competition I would be more than happy to accommodate you and include a .22 series to run alongside the normal .177 competition.

If your hunch is correct then you should have no problem gaining the support of several more .22 air pistol shooters to make this possible - I will also join you and shoot with one of my .22 Webley or my early .22 Original Model 5 so lets see what support this thread can raise to make it a worthwhile competition
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

You could always score all the targets using a .22" gauge as is done in the NSRA 20 yard pistol league.

Rutty

Quote Originally Posted by Rutty View Post
    You could always score all the targets using a .22" gauge as is done in the NSRA 20 yard pistol league.

Rutty
    The MPL postal competition is a self scoring event and so anybody that enters this with a .22 air pistol would have to have to buy a gauge to score their cards accurately if they were to compete alongside the .177 competitors and use this suggested method of scoring.

A separate .22 competition to run alongside the regular .177 event may be a better proposition - as long as there genuinely are competitors with .22 air pistols that really do want to enter a pecision target shooting competition.

Spring powered .22 air pistols can be easier to shoot that the .177 spring powered types and so we may need more time to consider a workable option if they were to be allowed to compete alongside them to make sure the competition remains fair for everyone.

At the moment there is only one person with a .22 air pistol that has enquired about the possibility of including .22 air pistols in this competition - but no firm commitment from anybody to actually enter the series with a .22 air pistol (other then myself as I would "join-in" to make up the numbers and have some fun if it were to gain enough support). The easy way out would simply be to follow every other target shooting air pistol competition and say that it will remain for .177 air pistols only.

This competition starts this month so if we do receive any firm entries from competitors that cannot find a .177 air pistol to shoot we will have to see what can be arranged .
    Last edited by zooma; 05-01-2014 at 11:23 AM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.