Thread: co2 rifle

co2 rifle

Hi all I'm thinking of getting an air rifle, I dont want an expensive pc I thought of a cheap one that uses a 12 grm co2 as I shoot 10m air pistol and would like to cut down on consumables as I have six full bore rifles and have enough loading equipment. all I want it for is ratting and plinking, can any one tell me what they are like and has any one got one they are thinking of selling I dont want a springer or a single pump pneumatic to much like messing about just working a little bolt is ok.
    Thanks
    I love my country, but fear my government

My friend has a co2 gun.

It's wonderfully light, beautiful trigger and really quite accurate. It's a tuned smk qb 78.

However changing the co2 is a real pain and it's easy to get through quite a lot off £££ over a plinking session.

You also have to worry about the temp outside affecting the power of the gun and if you fire too frequently the barrel will cool and the power drops off. This means you're not shooting any more frequently than you do with a springer.

All in all it's just not worth the hassle IMO. Maybe it's ok if you just want to shoot a few rats occasionally, but any decent numbers of ammo and it will start to cost. I think he uses 2 canisters costing 70p each and they last maybe 25 shots? It could be more I'm not sure. But it's a real pita.

Pcp for 80-100 shots between charges.

Or a springer for the ultimate pick up and plink approach

Got a couple of the Industry Brand 78 rifles (one's a SMK, the other is branded 'KASU') once smoothed off (rough edges removed etc.) not too bad, in .22 they can be taken way, way over the 12 fpe limit, so if you go inside it, use a chrony to make sure that you're still legal, .177 shoots happiest at about 9.5 fpe. To de-gas at the end of the capsules, I've got a small de-gassing modification done, (not a difficult thing to do). Due to having several Co2 pistols as well, I tend to buy the bulbs off t'internet & costs work out to about 30-33 pence each buying 500 at a time. Temp does alter the zero @ 35 yards by a few clicks, just need to adjust at the start of a session. Find the 'right' pellet (they can be very pellet fussy) and they're as accurate @ 30 yards as my FX Cyclone. I get about 40 'usable' shots from two capsules in .22, less with the .177.

I suggest you contact Welsh Willy who is a dealer or google his business , Woodfield Gun Care Products.

He sells tuned & fettled QB 78 rifles with warranty .

With a .22 you should get between 50 & 60 shots from 2 small sparklets .

I often only use 1 sparklet & an exhausted one . Get 20 good shots .

Temperature does affect CO 2 but as long as you check your zero before a shoot or going hunting it should be ok .

Oh, forgot to say, that the seals last longer if they're left with some Co2 in them, rather than drain it at the end of a session.

thanks for the thread. now more confused.
    looking at getting a TH78D. the SMK mag says 100 shots from two capsules. also it says only comes in .22 then turn a few pages and its a kids gun in .177.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

Any of the 78 variants are ok .

22 is more economic on gas & is far better power wise than 177 that struggles along at full as in about 11.5 ft / lb .

Contact Welsh Willy & chat to him . He won't bull dust you .

Quote Originally Posted by max headroom View Post
    thanks for the thread. now more confused.
    looking at getting a TH78D. the SMK mag says 100 shots from two capsules. also it says only comes in .22 then turn a few pages and its a kids gun in .177.

.22 will get you more shots, 100?? no , 35 ish in .22 yes . I have had a QB rifle , very accurate .Seals going can be a issue also look at Webley Rabbit stopper.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Contact Welsh Willy & chat to him . He won't bull dust you .
    +1 on that, Will is a gent - google (or similar) "Woodfield Gun Care Products" & he'll give you the truth, rather than SMKs sales 'blurb'.
    The T/H stock is very comfortable to shoot, but adds weight to a lightweight gun.

co2

I've bought a qb 78 its seemes to be one of the most tunable rifles on the market, I'm going to get a 30 shot mag that fires 22 lead ball and a bit of a tune up kit.
    I love my country, but fear my government

Quote Originally Posted by kindwarf View Post
    I've bought a qb 78 its seemes to be one of the most tunable rifles on the market, I'm going to get a 30 shot mag that fires 22 lead ball and a bit of a tune up kit.
    I suggest you look on the UK Chinese Air Gun forum .

Loads & loads of information there .

Welsh Willy - GCP is a source of spares , seal kits etc .

Quote Originally Posted by kindwarf View Post

Forget the mag ans the lead ball stuff you are wasting good money on stuff that will only be any good for fast fire practice at large close range targets and when I say Large I mean plate sized just stick to proper pellets and make the gun as smooth as you can and enjoy what is one of the best little rifles on the market.
    [URL=http://www.ukchineseairgunforum.org.uk/index.php[/URL]