Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Phoenix Mark 11

Phoenix Mark 11

A friend is very keen on these and has two.
    He is on good terms with the chap who makes them and took a mate to the factory to buy one in .177.

This gun came up for sale as the owner gave up shooting.
    I bought it with scope and bag only because the price was so low and he wanted rid.

I had seen the gun in action and noted it was very accurate and quiet but thought it was a bit of an oddity with weight at rear and a lever action that was probably an acquired taste.

After learning how it operates and a couple of shooting sessions I am a fan.

Everything works as it should and the lever action is excellent -no effort involved and very slick.
    So quiet with the PH silencer but now sports an HW one which is a little better.

The rear bottle is easy to use.
    I dont object to these type of bottles as some do.

You get a nice spares pack which includes o rings new valve and a valve removal tool.
    Looks like a tyre valve to me.
    Thoughtful.
    I rang Pax guns for a spare magazine on Thursday arrived today £37.50 inc recorded delivery.

I think I am going to have fun with it and it is Made in England.

Would I buy a new one over the usual suspects? No -but ask me again when I have shot it more.
    Second hand it is a yes from me.

ah yes, but if you could get a new one for £699 including a Quick Fill system ....?
    AA TX200, HFT 500, AS400 .22
    Daystate Grand Prix & Mk3
    Parker-Hale/PAX Phoenix Mk2: .22 & .177

just received one used

It's a .22 and non-FAC, but it's again being sold here in the US by Airguns of Arizona. I found mine on it's used airgun page. It's a Mkii and is serial #00178. It looks brand new, and I'm looking forward to learn more about it (in my second day of ownership). It's rare, and quirky, but it's very well made, and the fact that it's an under lever PC is very appealing to me. I hope this one becomes a true keeper in my small collection. I will appreciate any advice and insight on this rifle from anyone on this forum. I have been emailing Hugh Earl, owner of PAX Airguns, and I'm sure he's tired of hearing from me, so I thought I'd pester you guys!
    thank you,
    darryl

Quote Originally Posted by KeithW View Post
    ah yes, but if you could get a new one for £699 including a Quick Fill system ....?
    I had one of these but sold it as I couldn't get used to the bottle filling, is the quick fill used without the bottle being taken out of the gun?
    Daystate Huntsman Revere .22 Huma Reg. MTC Mamba 4-16 x 50 IRS.
    Diana Mod 2 .177. Colt 45.

Hi Darryl
    The nice thing about this gun is that is that it doesnt seem to have any secrets or tricks you need to know.
    Which has made it a favourite of mine.

I dont like guns that people tell you "oh you must/ musnt do that!" As If you should know!

Mine is .177 so I cant help on pellet choice.
    I would guess Air Arms Diabolo field would be fine.

I am probably going to get the new quickfill cylinder.
    I am sure it stays in the gun otherwise it isnt a quickfill !

I will try and answer any specific queries you have.
    Not an expert just an owner.
    Last edited by gingernut; 23-02-2014 at 10:44 AM.

hello Ginger

Thank you for the quick reply. I'd say it answered any question I might have when you stated the Phoenix does not seem to have any secrets or tricks. That makes it an honest rifle in my eyes. Being a PCP I can see that it will be prone to PCP commonly expected failures, mainly o-ring leaks. I'm not put off by that, having resealed PCP rifles before. One thing Hugh Earl told me was the rifles like a 5.52-mm pellet head diameter. That's good enough for me. He also said the imports to the US have the BSA barrel. Those barrels are highly regarded here (except where BSA went through a period of quality issues with off-center bores). Old BSA PCP classics are prized. Hugh told me about the quick-fill cylinders. I've asked him for information regarding the acquisition of a FAC model in .22

There is one thing you can tell me about. How do you find your rifle to group at distance, and what size groups can the rifle give you at what distance?
    Glad to be among the chosen!
    darryl

urx is offline 2,602.00 GBP −10.00 (0.38%) at the close
    had two of these for several years carbine and rifle and enjoyed both immensely...just beware if you buy 2nd hand bottles.
    there are mk1 and mk2 Phoenix and the bottles look similar and will screw in ...but the shoulder at the valve area is different and can damage either rifle or bottle if you try to screw it in tight...
    Gun control means using both hands.

now that's a rgeat tip!

Quote Originally Posted by urx View Post
    had two of these for several years carbine and rifle and enjoyed both immensely...just beware if you buy 2nd hand bottles.
    there are mk1 and mk2 Phoenix and the bottles look similar and will screw in ...but the shoulder at the valve area is different and can damage either rifle or bottle if you try to screw it in tight...
    excellent info!
    thanks,
    Darryl
    note to me: proof-read! proof-read!! proof-read!!!

We have had a lot of rain and gales here Darryl so I have not been able to stretch the gun.
    I will.
    But from the sessions I have had with an average 3-9 40 scope, cloverleaf groups at 30 yards are to be expected.
    I will be trying longer range soon.

I think this would be a good hunting gun because of the action.
    Not that I hunt!

about raging out.

Gingernut, I look forward to calmer skies for you, and your test results. I Happen to have had an old 4-x16x40 Accushot scope on hand to use with my Phoenix. With the low rings there's not room to put the front lens cover on, but I don't m ind that for the low profile mount I have. I think this scope is perfect for the rifle, and it has the ability to clearly parallax down to 9 yards at 10x. That should be good for work out to 50 yards, but I'll keep an eye out for better glass when i can afford it.
    Meanwhile as a subscriber to Si Pittaway's Yoou Tube channel, I've asked him to make one for the Phoenix. I have found only three, with this being the most recent at 3 years old: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Peq96FFmuk

I think the rifle can use some You Tube love, plus a bit of help in creating a bit more interest in the marque. I'll try to post a video of mine when I get it sorted out. It's too bad some see this rifle in a negative light instead of the engineering feat I see in it. It's just a cool PCP.
    Darryl

I agree Darryl and certainly Hugh Earl has put a lot of time and money into its development.
    He deserves a profit!
    There are rumours of a new Phoenix being created.
    If it arrives when my Pension kicks in I might buy a new one yet!

I'm uploading a quick video now. Will link it soon.

I've just made a quick video of my Phoenix and am uploading it now. with my slow connection it should be done within the week!

I have a Mk2 Phoenix, it's a real fun gun, and on Saturday I popped down to PAX north London shop and bought the new quick fill, also some pellets that are made on the premises for the rifle. The rifle does have some points you need to be aware of. Take care when removing the cylinder to refill it with air, or you could damage the rifle. If you didn't have instructions when you bought it, I can PM mine to you. Also it is advised that from time to time when filling with air you oil the valve in the air cylinder so that when refitted, the action is lubricated. If you don't have theses instructions. let me know soonest, and I will send copy, rather than quickly rehash it here. Also, the low magazine height is a great bonus, I too have a low 'scope. I don't bother with the hood type covers, I use the type of clip IN lens cover that is found on camera lenses. I also tried a Daystate Mk4 reflex silencer, the sealing O ring is not a good fit, I fitted a fatter O ring, it was only OK. I showed it to a custom maker and he did a proper job for me, if the butt feels heavy, could be the way to go, the balance does not bother me though. Are you allowed silencers in Sin City? There is also a fledgling forum for Phoenix owners. I have the .22 full length.. love it !
    Pick up your gun, shove a bullet up the spout
    It's the Major Dennis Bloodnok Rock'n' Roll Call Tango

hello corky

first, a link to my video (be kind, guys!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBNYs...re=c4-overview

Corky I did receive a manual, and will follow the informatin about oiling the system. I notice that the action is not quite as "buttery" smooth as I've read about, so a lube job might be needed. I've familiarized myself with the removal procedure for the air cylinder too. But as you'll see in my video there is now a pellet in the barrel becaues I demonstrated how to install the magazine, then cocked it without adequate air to shoot the rifle! LOL!! I've made myself a note to remind myself there's a pellet in there so when I shoot the excess lube after filling the cylinder, I'll be conscious not to shoot my eye out. Mine has the PAX LDC (lead dust collector aka silencer) from the factory. It's glued on I think, and is sold as part of the rifle, so it's not an issue unless the NSA is reading this post. I may have mentioned that I already want to find an FAC version just because the rifle seems so cool. I admire your choice in going with the full length version. Way cool on your part. Thank you for the offers of assistance too. Much appreciated.
    darryl

Quote Originally Posted by urx View Post
    Hi Urx,

Thanks for this info, I have a mk2 Phoenix and have used mk1 and mk2 bottles in it with absolutely no problems at all, but it's good to know anyway. Think I'll get the calipers out at the weekend and see what the difference is.
    blah blah