I used to have a Ruger 10/22 Target and got rid of it as it was just so damn unreliable it nearly drove me nuts. Then I starting yearning for a semi-auto again, but this time I managed to find a nice Theoben AMT which is basically a stainless steel copy of a 10/22 with a better build quality and target barrel.

Initially I suffered jams with this too but tried several different types of ammo. Some were hopeless, literally jamming every round, but then I tried the new RWS subs as the rifle is used for live quarry and these are absolutely mustard - not only do they very rarely jam, they are the most accurate in my rifle. I also noticed a big improvement in reliability when ditching the standard Ruger 10 shot mags and going with a straight feed banana mag.

The other thing to mention is that keeping the action (and the chamber) clean will also pay dividends in terms of reliability and also correct lubrication is important. I only use graphite powder and never oil to lube the action and this too seems to help matters.