Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Rugar 10/22

New Rugar 10/22

I bought a brand new Standard Beech wood stocked and blued Rugar 10/22 yesterday and I've just got back from a morning at the range with it, dispite all the horror stories I've been spun about these rifles I was very pleasently surprise with how thing went this morning.

First off when I got the rifle home yesterday I stripped and thourghly cleaned the rifle and was surprised by the amount of manufacturing dirt & debri that was present in the reciever,bolt and trigger assemblies, the barrell too was dirty and I'm sure there was a trace of rust on the first patch that I pulled through. Iwould recommend anyone buying a new rifle to give it a good clean as the amount of debri present can not be good for it even straight out of the box.

With the rifle cleaned and re lubed I tried it out this morning at the range. After sighting the rifle in at 20 meters I then started to test which ammo would give me the best groups.
    Itested the following

CCI standard
    Winchester T22
    Eley Sport
    RWS Target
    RWS Semi Auto
    Geco

All the ammo cycled the rifle OK with no stoppages

The best groups were as follows, all shots were taken rested on a shooting rest/bean bag

RWS Semi Auto
    CCI standard
    Eley Sport
    RWS Target
    Geco
    Winchester T22

The trigger will require some work in the future as it's a little on the Agricultural side at the moment but nothing will be done until the rifles had a couple of thousand rounds through it and parts have had chance to start to bed in.

I found the bolt release tricky to operate but again the rifle is still tight so it should improve with use but I'm tempted to have to auto release modification fitted.
    The stock is a plain simple beech wood standard stock with a shaped butt and no recoil pad, It could benfit from chequering to the grip and fore end to make the rifle more positive to hold.
    The accuracy of this rifle is very good with the tightest group being about a 1/3 of an inch, this I hope will tighten up still further as the rifle beds in.

All in all I rate the rifle as follows

Factiory finish 8-10
    Accuracy 10-10
    Ammo fussyness 9-10
    Usability 8-10
    Value for money 9-10

Overall I think this rifle is very good value for money and the selection of after market goodies mean that I can custom tune this rifle to whatever I want and
    it will not break the bank.
    Too many air guns to list but to count them all I need to take my shoes & socks off as well
    BASC Member

salisbury is offline I keep smiling because they haven't found the bodies
    The dirt/debris you found could have been from when it was test fired at the factory (or the proof house if it went there). I can't honestly believe that every rifle of a production line is cleaned before dispatch. Also it could have sat in a storage facility for a while, before being purchased by yourself.
    I haven't been tempted by a 10/22 yet, but the more reviews I hear the more I get an interest in having one.
    The groupings you got seem to be pretty good too.
    who I am: http://www.facebook.com/artemisengineering.uk
    What I do: R&D, Prototyping, Artemis Razorback.

Thumbs up

Nice write up!

How did it group, didn't you go over 20m?

.22LR CZ452; .22 Hornet CZ527
    Tikka T3 Varmint .223; .204 Ruger CZ527 Varmint;
    6.5 Creed Bergara B14 HMR

The bolt release is easy to convert to auto in just a few minutes.
    Wanted - Venom Mach 1/2 Trigger

Interesting write up. Im waiting for my ticket to return with a .22 rifle slot on it. Been 5 weeks now so hopefully won't be too long.
    I have a CZ American which has been a good gun and had a 10/22 Deluxe some years ago which i sold to fund other toys. Still have
    the urge to get another 10/22 possibly in stainless with a BX25 mag this time so nice to read about other peoples purchases. Tim

[QUOTE=salisbury;6225823]The dirt/debris you found could have been from when it was test fired at the factory (or the proof house if it went there). [QUOTE]

No 'ifs' about it. US-made firearms are made in a country that is not signature to the CIP, so all US-made firearms sold in this country are required to be proofed before they can be offered for sale to the buying public.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
    Nice write up!

How did it group, didn't you go over 20m?
    No only 20m at present it was too windy & cold to be on the outdoor range this morning, even the die hard prone shooters gave it a miss this morning so it must have been cold
    Too many air guns to list but to count them all I need to take my shoes & socks off as well
    BASC Member

Love my 10/22 and if its grouping well out of the box you got a good one mine took around 500-600 rounds before it came on song, both the auto bolt release and trigger are very easily worked with minimal effort and nothing more than a file and some wet and dry paper.

I find cci do an adequate job and they are only 7.50 per 100 happy days.

Auto bolt release modifaction has just been completed and dry fire tested in my shed in the garden. The differance it make is awesome Can't wait until tomorrow night to test it live firing at the club. The Mod took me 15-20 minutes to do including having to restrip the trigger unit to take a little bit more out with the file.
    BASC Member

Great to hear that a standard 10/22 does what is required. If you get one that cycles reliably they are fantastic.
    I did find with mine (although no Ruger bits in except stock screw, but would expect the same to apply) that Eley ammo cruds the action faster than anything else.
    The upgrade path is endless if you feel the need, but if it works as is and you are not competing, why go down that highly addictive route.
    Mine loves Tenex and Lapua Signums but will chew through a box of minimags out of a 25 shot magazine for the best grin factor at the club

salisbury is offline I keep smiling because they haven't found the bodies
    [QUOTE=tacfoley;6226349][QUOTE=salisbury;6225823]The dirt/debris you found could have been from when it was test fired at the factory (or the proof house if it went there).

No 'ifs' about it. US-made firearms are made in a country that is not signature to the CIP, so all US-made firearms sold in this country are required to be proofed before they can be offered for sale to the buying public.

tac
    Thanks 'tac' I wasn't 100% sure about stuff from the States regarding proofing. You don't happen to have a list of countries who signed up? I've seen many references but never got sight of one. That would be handy to have around the place.

( Apologies to OP, for any perceived thread hijack )
    who I am: http://www.facebook.com/artemisengineering.uk
    What I do: R&D, Prototyping, Artemis Razorback.

Don't know if yours has the extended mag release like my new 10/22 stainless synthetic but in the field that thing's a liability. So easy to catch and then the mag drops into the dirt. Nice of Ruger to fit bu maybe they should have shipped it with both standard and extended?

Quote Originally Posted by bling_it View Post
    Don't know if yours has the extended mag release like my new 10/22 stainless synthetic but in the field that thing's a liability. So easy to catch and then the mag drops into the dirt. Nice of Ruger to fit bu maybe they should have shipped it with both standard and extended?
    Yes mine has the new extended mag release but as I will only be using this rifle for range comps I don't think it will be an issue.
    BASC Member

My Dad had one of these and the bolt was always difficult to operate smoothly.

Nice write up.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmaxx1 View Post
    My Dad had one of these and the bolt was always difficult to operate smoothly.

Nice write up.
    When I first got mine, I found the bolt lever was stiff, but then I cottoned on to the fact that you need to remember to clean and oil the rod and spring on the cocking lever, as it quickly gets dry and stiff. Once I learned that, no problem - 200 rounds in a day firing and not one hang-up, mind you, I clean all my guns fully EVERY time I shoot, maybe overkill,but it works for me. Just my opinion, y'unnerstand....
    "Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson
    N.S.R.A. RCO, Club Instructor, Club Coach.