Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Rugar 10/22

I have the Target Stainless with a lovely laminated stock.The inside of which I cleaned up with some glass paper where it supports the barrel.
    The barrel is beautiful with a hammer forged spiral finish.
    Has a soft recoil buffer.Quick bolt release and extended mag release. Target trigger.
    Bought brand new with a few mods. Also two clear magazines as well.
    Fitted QD swivels instead of the standard swivels
    I find it still needs a little more time to run in. Fired about 120 Mini Mags which it favours.
    At 30 yards it will group into about 1.25cm with the Mini mags over a bag.
    They are copper washed and burn cleanly. At £7 per hundred I am very pleased.
    The Ruger combined 11mm/ Weaver rail was locktited down and I am using a Hawke 3-12x44 SR scope with their excellent ballistic SR reticule.
    Groupng well at 100m but on the military range the wind can be a problem at times. However small pebbles in the sand on the backstop are no problem especially with the Hawke reticule. This gun is very accurate and I am delighted.
    Graham
    Last edited by manxteddy; 23-01-2014 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Designer of BASC Logo

I used to have a Ruger 10/22 Target and got rid of it as it was just so damn unreliable it nearly drove me nuts. Then I starting yearning for a semi-auto again, but this time I managed to find a nice Theoben AMT which is basically a stainless steel copy of a 10/22 with a better build quality and target barrel.

Initially I suffered jams with this too but tried several different types of ammo. Some were hopeless, literally jamming every round, but then I tried the new RWS subs as the rifle is used for live quarry and these are absolutely mustard - not only do they very rarely jam, they are the most accurate in my rifle. I also noticed a big improvement in reliability when ditching the standard Ruger 10 shot mags and going with a straight feed banana mag.

The other thing to mention is that keeping the action (and the chamber) clean will also pay dividends in terms of reliability and also correct lubrication is important. I only use graphite powder and never oil to lube the action and this too seems to help matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Sako Kid View Post
    I used to have a Ruger 10/22 Target and got rid of it as it was just so damn unreliable it nearly drove me nuts. Then I starting yearning for a semi-auto again, but this time I managed to find a nice Theoben AMT which is basically a stainless steel copy of a 10/22 with a better build quality and target barrel.

Initially I suffered jams with this too but tried several different types of ammo. Some were hopeless, literally jamming every round, but then I tried the new RWS subs as the rifle is used for live quarry and these are absolutely mustard - not only do they very rarely jam, they are the most accurate in my rifle. I also noticed a big improvement in reliability when ditching the standard Ruger 10 shot mags and going with a straight feed banana mag.

The other thing to mention is that keeping the action (and the chamber) clean will also pay dividends in terms of reliability and also correct lubrication is important. I only use graphite powder and never oil to lube the action and this too seems to help matters.
    Yes. I'm finding that my 10/22 peforms better if I clean it after every time I use it, I use Parker Hale gun oil at the moment with no issues so long as I use it sparingly so graphite powder could be worth looking into.
    Too many air guns to list but to count them all I need to take my shoes & socks off as well
    BASC Member

I have the American, all very standard and it shoots great. I would say that it's a little more accurate than my CZ 452 was.

Happy you're pleased.

Review update

Review update:

Well I've managed to put 2000 rounds through the Ruger and to be honest I think I'm going to leave the trigger alone for the present.

I only shoot the turning target comps with it plus plinking/practice and the trigger suits this type of shooting I do, as I've no time to squeeze each round off when you're looking to get 5 shots off in 10 seconds.

Yes! it keeps you on your toes and you keep a full mag spare in case of a stoppage from mag problems, non to date only a case that failed to eject cleanly and was spun round in the breach chamber andmangled when the bolt hit it as it slamed shut.
    Too many air guns to list but to count them all I need to take my shoes & socks off as well
    BASC Member

cheers for the review and update,think ill get one too any pic of yours ?

Quote Originally Posted by gtpkeeper View Post
    cheers for the review and update,think ill get one too any pic of yours ?
    I have two of this rifle is very good value for money and the rfm custom tune rifle is great fun
    Nice right up

Underrated rifee

I have had three 10/22's over the years and although people do like to mock it even the standard one can shoot well - I terms of stoppages I have found CCI subs cycle well whilst Winchester doesn't - and the cci's have been decently accurate - as standard I got a .36" group at 50 yards and with a hogue stock and trigger from rimfire magic managed .32" at 65 yards (both 3 round groups) I am sure a bolt action would be more accurate but you get a lot of bang for your buck with a 10/22!

Quote Originally Posted by manxteddy View Post
    Groupng well at 100m but on the military range the wind can be a problem at times. However small pebbles in the sand on the backstop are no problem especially with the Hawke reticule. This gun is very accurate and I am delighted.
    Graham
    Are you not worried about ricochets shooting at pebbles with .22LR?
    I guess if you're still here you've been lucky thus far, hopefully along with anyone around you on the range!

All shots from many calibres/rifles are into the sand/grit and there is no issue with tiny specks of pebbles. Be realistic.
    It's not backyard air-gunning you know.
    The targets are 35 yards minimum from the frames.
    Designer of BASC Logo