Thread: Newbie saying Hi

Newbie saying Hi

Hi

Just joined after gaining back an interest in air guns again. Had my first air gun a Norica .22 when I was 14 and progressed to shotguns later which have all been sold 10 years ago. Havent used anything since due to young family,but got the bug back lately after shooting a mates air pistol.
    Im now in my mid 40's and plan to get a Webley Hurricane or a Crosman 1377 for some target fun in the garden. Not yet decided, but looking to get some ideas/advice from members.
    Thanks

Hello and welcome. Good to hear you want to get back into shooting. Webley Hurricaines are excellent back garden plinkers and will last a lifetime. If you search the forum you'll find plenty of info about either pistol. If possible try shooting both (unless you have before) as they are totally different beasts, but the Webley will keep going longer with minimal care. Depending on the size of the target, the Crosman may be easier to shoot accurately. If you don't know the law changed recently meaning you need to store airguns so they are not accessible by unsupervised under 18s.
    Last edited by ashf9999; 05-01-2014 at 08:30 PM.

Ok thanks for the advice. Ive already enquired about a 25 year old Hurricane so hope to find one soon. The Tempest looks good but the Hurricane has the twist adjustable on the sights, i believe? Plan to store the pistol in a lockable case.

Welcome to the forum.

And a big welcome back to this wonderful, friendly and safe sport.

Have fun and always be safe!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Garingo View Post
    Ok thanks for the advice. Ive already enquired about a 25 year old Hurricane so hope to find one soon. The Tempest looks good but the Hurricane has the twist adjustable on the sights, i believe? Plan to store the pistol in a lockable case.
    Correct they are a bit more of a handful than the Tempest but are quite nicely balanced.

Hi

Just joined after gaining back an interest in air guns again. Had my first air gun a Norica .22 when I was 14 and progressed to shotguns later which have all been sold 10 years ago. Havent used anything since due to young family,but got the bug back lately after shooting a mates air pistol.
    Im now in my mid 40's and plan to get a Webley Hurricane or a Crosman 1377 for some target fun in the garden. Not yet decided, but looking to get some ideas/advice from members.
    Thanks
    Welcome to the forum. There are many pistol options out there. If you get hooked you'll probably end up with a few different types like springers, SSP's, PCP's, CO2's. You'll do some research i'm sure, but for now I can recommend the 1377 for some "fun in the garden". Its also a very good target shooter. If you only use three pumps its quiet too! and will get you out to 20ft. Early days yet, and things will evolve. Good luck with the new venture. ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Welcome torought it all back the the forum; I was like you, had airguns as a kid, joined the forces and ended up shooting shotguns, then had ago at a mates air rifle, and it brought it all back, the fun you have with an airgun. I got a couple of air rifles about 20 years ago and a couple of air pistols in the last couple of years. The problem is, I live in N. Ireland, and all air weapons have to be on a FAC, which stops you going out and buying new guns when you want to! Sad, but it saves money I suppose, otherwise I'd spend a fortune on different guns! (
    It's not the destination; but the journey that counts!
    You can take the lad out of Essex; but not Essex out of the lad!

In the interests of science

Buy both and do a 'compare and contrast for us.

Cheers
    Binker

Bought an Alecto .177 in a near sports shop. Handled a few of the pistols on offer but really liked the look and feel of the Alecto. Heard good reviews as well and I think its good value for money. Due to recent wet weather, only been plinking targets indoors in the garage so far at around 20 ft. Its a brilliant pistol and very consistent. I only pump once but shot a beer can outside in the garden at 20m on 3 pumps on my third attempt.
    Plan to get a laser on the bottom Weaver rail next - any recommendations please?

Bought an Alecto .177 in a near sports shop. Handled a few of the pistols on offer but really liked the look and feel of the Alecto. Heard good reviews as well and I think its good value for money. Due to recent wet weather, only been plinking targets indoors in the garage so far at around 20 ft. Its a brilliant pistol and very consistent. I only pump once but shot a beer can outside in the garden at 20m on 3 pumps on my third attempt.
    Plan to get a laser on the bottom Weaver rail next - any recommendations please?

I have a Walther laser on mine and it's set up for the UBC 6yd monthly competion, (the optical 6yds: for the 10mtrs it has to be open sights): for can busting I just use the open sights; close range, I use the larger front sight, but at further ranges, I turn the front sight to the smaller one, that'll raise the muzzle of the pistol slightly and allow for the pellet drop, that works well with my gun and thats a .22. I love it when the can bounces and lands with the end facing me, then the next shot really knocks it spinning!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...psfd2a3b7b.jpg

Thans for the info, that laser fits into the Alecto case ver tidy. Its a shame they dont colour the smaller sight in a different colour to the high red dot. Ive just noticed that there is no bottle of oil in my case. Do you know what type of oil this is?

Thans for the info, that laser fits into the Alecto case ver tidy. Its a shame they dont colour the smaller sight in a different colour to the high red dot. Ive just noticed that there is no bottle of oil in my case. Do you know what type of oil this is?
    I'm not sure about the oil, they don't put too much in the bottle, but any good oil will do the trick: I got hold of a gallon of oil that is used for dairy equipment about 25 years ago, I've been using it ever since for my air rifles, shotgun and my bicycle and it's worked great on all of them, I still have plenty left; just use a good quality oil. If you have a car or a motorbike, when doing an oil change, there's always a drop left over, you can use that I'm sure

I own both hurricane and 1377 and I agree the 1377 will be easier to shoot but has one downfall..... Crosmantitus, a nasty bug that kills your wallet for a while and never really goes away

The hurricane as with any real brum made webley pistol has its own special charm that once you got it, you never really lose it.

IMHO both will give you pleasure for many years.