Thread: 2014 6yd mpl results

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Somebody is bound to mug us eventually - possibly with a Daisy 722, or a Crosman 1322
    Nah - I think we will be safe enough for some time yet
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

my latest adventure/challenge with bill and ben ;the hurricanes i use in the 6yd comp has shown me quite clearly that despite their relative shortcomings
    in this kind of discipline ;they are capable of better results than my present ability.at the start which was more of a challenge due to having to change to l/h i was struggling to stay consistently in the black.i had to get out my orig6 to bolster my confidence that i could be better,but taking the bit between my teeth i made a point of shooting a practise card almost every night .then a moment came when i realised that instead of relying on a precise two stage quality trigger to assist in a clean unstressed let off.by instinct i changed to a slow but consistent pull which enabled my grip to allow for the pull on the trigger ,keeping the sight near steady on target.ive now started to make my target discs smaller than the comp disc to create a further challenge as i realised that i was getting a bit lazy,"o well its in the black good enough"attitude. i have managed now to stop using my trgt dedicated pistols for what is a placebo effect on my lack of shooting discipline ie trying to run before i could walk so to speak. im now looking forward to using my target pistols to their true effect having demonstrated to myself that to really improve its a good idea to overcome the challenge of more demanding pistol to get the most of a more sophisticated one.
    Last edited by red bob; 27-02-2014 at 11:07 PM.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

Quote Originally Posted by red bob View Post
    my latest adventure/challenge with bill and ben ;the hurricanes i use in the 6yd comp has shown me quite clearly that despite their relative shortcomings
    in this kind of discipline ;they are capable of better results than my present ability.at the start which was more of a challenge due to having to change to l/h i was struggling to stay consistently in the black.i had to get out my orig6 to bolster my confidence that i could be better,but taking the bit between my teeth i made a point of shooting a practise card almost every night .then a moment came when i realised that instead of relying on a precise two stage quality trigger to assist in a clean unstressed let off.by instinct i changed to a slow but consistent pull which enabled my grip to allow for the pull on the trigger ,keeping the sight near steady on target.ive now started to make my target discs smaller than the comp disc to create a further challenge as i realised that i was getting a bit lazy,"o well its in the black good enough"attitude. i have managed now to stop using my trgt dedicated pistols for what is a placebo effect on my lack of shooting discipline ie trying to run before i could walk so to speak. im now looking forward to using my target pistols to their true effect having demonstrated to myself that to really improve its a good idea to overcome the challenge of more demanding pistol to get the most of a more sophisticated one.
    Good effort Bob - well done - and a very interesting theory about learning from less sophisticated air pistols to improve your target pistol control. I am sure your theory does have a lot of merit as I have noticed when I have a few shots with a match pistol after shooting with a more basic pistol that my grouping is generally much better than I could normally achieve .

.....but you have started to practice with the target discs even smaller ? I struggle to keep the tiny black spot of an Air 8 target in line , and with my eyesight any smaller target disc would look like a full stop
    Last edited by zooma; 01-03-2014 at 07:44 AM.

Give this method a try - it has been perfected by Hares Ear and as far as I am concerned it represents the purest form of target pistol shooting discipline and is just about as close as it can be to my own time proven technique:

Here's my method of shooting a pistol......words by Hares Ear.

Tip ten pellets onto the top of the target changer unit
    Cock the 65 and shove a pellet up the spout.
    Shuffle my feet about until I'm facing about 20 degrees to the left of the target.
    Take a deep breath, and hold it.
    I grip my 65 that tightly the circulation to my fingers ceases.
    I Lift my 65
    Point it at the target
    Take up the first stage
    Then unlike any one in the Airgun Magazines, I shut one eye. (incidentally something I do with any rifle or pistol that requires a steady aim)
    By now, my lungs are bursting.
    I then focus on the target, not the foresight.
    By now my face is turning blue.
    At some point, my foresight passes through the black part of the target. When it does I jerk the trigger.
    If the pellet lands in the black, I'm chuffed to bits.
    I now start to breath again, panting like a chap on 60 woodbines a day.
    Drop the pistol to the bench
    Repeat the above another nine times

I absolutely love this contribution from Hares Ear and it is always good to read it again.

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

LOL ,yes a priceless piece ,but truly how many of us came through this stage ;and "errr" how many of us of an evening still revisit it.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

Well done Richard you have the honour of being the first one in with the March scores!!!!

Only waiting on two more scores for Feb.

Best cheers
    George

Quote Originally Posted by thirdwheel View Post

Only waiting on two more scores for Feb.

Best cheers
    George
    Just emailed mine in so hopefully I'm not last

Will make effort not to be late in March

ATB John
    Cheers, John
    AA 510 AirMasters88 Reg, MTC Viper, AA 400 AirMasters88 Reg, AA TX200, Aeron BRNO B96, FWB 65, FWB 80 Walther CP88

Well done all! I've now processed all Feb scores and the threat of "detention" or clearing up my BBS posts has worked as all scores are in. Three competors have sent in their March scores and the weather is great to day so life is good!! We have both been practicing a lot at 6yd and 10m using all sorts of pistols from our collection and eating target cards and pellets, averages are rising but can we produce the goods now on comptition card when it really matters - we shall see.

Best cheers
    George

LOL ,yes a priceless piece ,but truly how many of us came through this stage ;and "errr" how many of us of an evening still revisit it.
    I do

After February's lackluster effort I'm going to revisit it pretty quickly.

After watching Rickenbacker's balance of austere soviet repression + sexual tension + special effects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSW1sFMCMCs

I'm all over the place. I think it's because I tried focusing on the foresight and breathing out. But in all probability it was summat to do with that Russian bird thrusting her hips in front of the mirror.
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Hares Ear View Post

I'm all over the place. I think it's because I tried focusing on the foresight and breathing out. But in all probability it was summat to do with that Russian bird thrusting her hips in front of the mirror.
    DONT shoot in Russian underpants. 'Chernobyl' drop off.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Hares Ear View Post
    After February's lackluster effort I'm going to revisit it pretty quickly.

After watching Rickenbacker's balance of austere soviet repression + sexual tension + special effects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSW1sFMCMCs

lol... you need to breathe 'in' after you breathe 'out' Robin!

I love that video... can't imagine how that girl managed to get away with wearing 'blue jeans' in a 1980s official Soviet training film!!

I put my February improvement (.177) entirely down to that video.

My lack of any improvement (.22) was entirely down to my Tempest, that had stopped dieseling and so lost all it's power... I was having to adjust and aim off throughout the 'match' I need to fix or replace the thing before the end of March

ATB - Phil