Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 6yd mpl results

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

ahhh thats where the secret lies ;its a .22 springer with a new .177 barrel installed ,she chronos at 4ftlbs and is very nice in the firing cycle for a springer im getting the measure of her for consistency and look forward to seeing how she performs on the official cards ! which is always a little different to informal practise cards .
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

Quote Originally Posted by red bob View Post
    ahhh thats where the secret lies ;its a .22 springer with a new .177 barrel installed ,she chronos at 4ftlbs and is very nice in the firing cycle for a springer im getting the measure of her for consistency and look forward to seeing how she performs on the official cards ! which is always a little different to informal practise cards .
    Good effort Bob!

It is always more satisfying to squeeze a result out of a kicking springer than to hit a higher score with a recoilless or SSP air pistol.

In the 10 meter MPL series we have a +3 point bonus per card for those that shoot with a "kicker" and this has helped to even-out the scores between those that choose to shoot a kicker and those that don't.

I never thought this would be necessary for a 6 yard competition but the proportionate 6 yard targets that we use are just as hard to score well at as the 10 meter targets are so maybe we should consider this for next time.

The .22 competition would not need this as they are all "kickers" in any case!

Any thoughts .?
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

it may well be an option;thing is it would be good for say an accomplished trgt shooter to run say a hurricane against a pneumatic to see just how much difference would occur and if possible to enhance the accuracy ask two or three to do the same test ,then view the average across the board .
    a bonus could then be calculated based on that result. i bet this isnt an original idea apology's if this is already the case .

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Good effort Bob!

It is always more satisfying to squeeze a result out of a kicking springer than to hit a higher score with a recoilless or SSP air pistol.

In the 10 meter MPL series we have a +3 point bonus per card for those that shoot with a "kicker" and this has helped to even-out the scores between those that choose to shoot a kicker and those that don't.

I never thought this would be necessary for a 6 yard competition but the proportionate 6 yard targets that we use are just as hard to score well at as the 10 meter targets are so maybe we should consider this for next time.

The .22 competition would not need this as they are all "kickers" in any case!

Any thoughts .?
    Somebody is bound to mug us eventually - possibly with a Daisy 722, or a Crosman 1322

it may well be an option;thing is it would be good for say an accomplished trgt shooter to run say a hurricane against a pneumatic to see just how much difference would occur and if possible to enhance the accuracy ask two or three to do the same test ,then view the average across the board .
    a bonus could then be calculated based on that result. i bet this isnt an original idea apology's if this is already the case .
    You are right - it took us a very long time with a serious amount of time and testing to come up with the +3 points average.

At first we had a higher points bonus per card but after a seasons testing with shooters at all levels of ability it was dropped to +3 and since then we have equalised the scores to the level that not everyone automatically chooses a "kicker" any more as there is no advantage - it is now as level a playing field as it is possible to get with comparable results being achieved from "kickers" and recoilless pistols of both types ( spring and SSP).

The 6 yard targets we are using are proportional to the 10 meter targets we use at 10 meters and everybody's score and average has remained about the same between the two distances so it would be fair to assume that a +3 point bonus per card would work just as well at the shorter distance.

...but like the 10 metre competition it would need a full season of testing with all the competitors taking part so we could study the results and compare them to see if the practice is the same as the theory.

If the competitors think this is worth doing then we can start with the idea next seasons competition that starts in July - if not we can leave everything as it is now and just enjoy the erosional challenge of shooting a "kicker" and take no notice of the better score being achieved with the recoilless springers and SSP pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Somebody is bound to mug us eventually - possibly with a Daisy 722, or a Crosman 1322
    Nah - I think we will be safe enough for some time yet

my latest adventure/challenge with bill and ben ;the hurricanes i use in the 6yd comp has shown me quite clearly that despite their relative shortcomings
    in this kind of discipline ;they are capable of better results than my present ability.at the start which was more of a challenge due to having to change to l/h i was struggling to stay consistently in the black.i had to get out my orig6 to bolster my confidence that i could be better,but taking the bit between my teeth i made a point of shooting a practise card almost every night .then a moment came when i realised that instead of relying on a precise two stage quality trigger to assist in a clean unstressed let off.by instinct i changed to a slow but consistent pull which enabled my grip to allow for the pull on the trigger ,keeping the sight near steady on target.ive now started to make my target discs smaller than the comp disc to create a further challenge as i realised that i was getting a bit lazy,"o well its in the black good enough"attitude. i have managed now to stop using my trgt dedicated pistols for what is a placebo effect on my lack of shooting discipline ie trying to run before i could walk so to speak. im now looking forward to using my target pistols to their true effect having demonstrated to myself that to really improve its a good idea to overcome the challenge of more demanding pistol to get the most of a more sophisticated one.
    Last edited by red bob; 27-02-2014 at 11:07 PM.

my latest adventure/challenge with bill and ben ;the hurricanes i use in the 6yd comp has shown me quite clearly that despite their relative shortcomings
    in this kind of discipline ;they are capable of better results than my present ability.at the start which was more of a challenge due to having to change to l/h i was struggling to stay consistently in the black.i had to get out my orig6 to bolster my confidence that i could be better,but taking the bit between my teeth i made a point of shooting a practise card almost every night .then a moment came when i realised that instead of relying on a precise two stage quality trigger to assist in a clean unstressed let off.by instinct i changed to a slow but consistent pull which enabled my grip to allow for the pull on the trigger ,keeping the sight near steady on target.ive now started to make my target discs smaller than the comp disc to create a further challenge as i realised that i was getting a bit lazy,"o well its in the black good enough"attitude. i have managed now to stop using my trgt dedicated pistols for what is a placebo effect on my lack of shooting discipline ie trying to run before i could walk so to speak. im now looking forward to using my target pistols to their true effect having demonstrated to myself that to really improve its a good idea to overcome the challenge of more demanding pistol to get the most of a more sophisticated one.
    Good effort Bob - well done - and a very interesting theory about learning from less sophisticated air pistols to improve your target pistol control. I am sure your theory does have a lot of merit as I have noticed when I have a few shots with a match pistol after shooting with a more basic pistol that my grouping is generally much better than I could normally achieve .

.....but you have started to practice with the target discs even smaller ? I struggle to keep the tiny black spot of an Air 8 target in line , and with my eyesight any smaller target disc would look like a full stop
    Last edited by zooma; 01-03-2014 at 07:44 AM.

Hi all you competitors just realised it was the last day of the month today, I've the spreadsheet all warmed up and ready to go so get your scores in and I will process them asap.

Best cheers
    George

hi george you dont think im scaring people away with my errr improving scores.

Bob
    If you keep this up for 3 months you will be untouchable by us lot, in four months you could be looking at GB squad selection! Joking aside it's good when the scores go the right way after focusing on training, but sooo depressing when it slips!

anyone out there scared off by Bob?

George

Quote Originally Posted by thirdwheel View Post
    Bob
    If you keep this up for 3 months you will be untouchable by us lot, in four months you could be looking at GB squad selection! Joking aside it's good when the scores go the right way after focusing on training, but sooo depressing when it slips!

anyone out there scared off by Bob?

George
    Not yet!

hi george you dont think im scaring people away with my errr improving scores.
    I am so frightened I cannot bring myself to look at red bob's scores anymore - its my own way of avoiding total disappointment with my own lack of 6 yard progress.

Give this method a try - it has been perfected by Hares Ear and as far as I am concerned it represents the purest form of target pistol shooting discipline and is just about as close as it can be to my own time proven technique:

Here's my method of shooting a pistol......words by Hares Ear.

Tip ten pellets onto the top of the target changer unit
    Cock the 65 and shove a pellet up the spout.
    Shuffle my feet about until I'm facing about 20 degrees to the left of the target.
    Take a deep breath, and hold it.
    I grip my 65 that tightly the circulation to my fingers ceases.
    I Lift my 65
    Point it at the target
    Take up the first stage
    Then unlike any one in the Airgun Magazines, I shut one eye. (incidentally something I do with any rifle or pistol that requires a steady aim)
    By now, my lungs are bursting.
    I then focus on the target, not the foresight.
    By now my face is turning blue.
    At some point, my foresight passes through the black part of the target. When it does I jerk the trigger.
    If the pellet lands in the black, I'm chuffed to bits.
    I now start to breath again, panting like a chap on 60 woodbines a day.
    Drop the pistol to the bench
    Repeat the above another nine times

I absolutely love this contribution from Hares Ear and it is always good to read it again.

LOL ,yes a priceless piece ,but truly how many of us came through this stage ;and "errr" how many of us of an evening still revisit it.