Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: setting up open sights

setting up open sights

Got myself a lovely smith and Wesson 586 revolver yesterday and need some advice on setting up the sights. I got three different thickness foresights with it, currently medium fitted. Also where should I put the target in my sight picture?

Quote Originally Posted by mattylawrence View Post
    Got myself a lovely smith and Wesson 586 revolver yesterday and need some advice on setting up the sights. I got three different thickness foresights with it, currently medium fitted. Also where should I put the target in my sight picture?
    'Standard' pistol sight picture is 6 o'clock on the black.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    'Standard' pistol sight picture is 6 o'clock on the black.
    What do u mean on the black? Please forgive me if I'm being thick. I'm new to pistols!!

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Here you go mate:

http://armedrobberyadvice.files.word...-alignment.png

Foresight should be in focus, rearsight and target should be blurred. You want the thinnest bit of white between the bottom of the target and the top of the foresight. There are other sight pictures you can use, but the point of the 6 o clock is that it's very repeatable.
    Good deals with these members

I'll try that tomorrow then. !

As per the previous reply standard sight picture is at 6 O'clock.
    Peronally I like to set mine up so that the pellet strikes dead on the level of the front sight post - it's up to you.
    As for the sight post width, you want to use the one which gives you the best chance of seeing when the front sight is central w.r.t. the rear sight notch. I like a front sight post that leaves very little gap, so that you just see a sliver of light either side of the front post. The downside of this approach is that a wide front post makes it harder to judge when the target is in the centre of the post, however if your rearsight has a wide notch you may be forced to use the wide post...

I was wondering about the 6 o'clock sight position, I have different targets with 2 different diameters of black, so what is the right diameter of black for a pistol target?

Cheers
    Thanks - Geoff.

NSRA 10 metre pistol target (Air 4/89) has a 59mm diameter black centre circle containing the 7,8,9 and 10 rings.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker_Bob View Post
    As per the previous reply standard sight picture is at 6 O'clock.
    Peronally I like to set mine up so that the pellet strikes dead on the level of the front sight post - it's up to you.
    As for the sight post width, you want to use the one which gives you the best chance of seeing when the front sight is central w.r.t. the rear sight notch. I like a front sight post that leaves very little gap, so that you just see a sliver of light either side of the front post. The downside of this approach is that a wide front post makes it harder to judge when the target is in the centre of the post, however if your rearsight has a wide notch you may be forced to use the wide post...
    As Bob has said its up to you, its very much a personal preference - for instance i prefer a wide gap each side of the foresight and a similar gap under the black.
    The original reason however for the 3 different widths was for the 3 diffent barrels (4",6" & 8") with the narrowest for the 4" and the widest for the 8".

Never knew that.
    Will check sights on mine today.
    Interesting to see what I have put on each one.

I'll keep the medium thickness on for now then! Didn't have chance to get it out today! Shotgun instead today!!

You live and learn each day, I always had my open sight set to the middle of the black circle, but I find that it's hard to locate dead centre with the black on black, the 6oclock position should help, going to adjust my sight before the next time I use the gun. Thanks for the info.
    It's not the destination; but the journey that counts!
    You can take the lad out of Essex; but not Essex out of the lad!

Strangely mine are all correct.
    One bought new and a few second hand ones.
    Must be down to previous owners as I only recall changing one.

Never had a Smith that wasnt accurate.

Well I reset the open sight at 6yds to the 6 position and adjusted the rear sight to suit and spot on: it's a lot easier to get on aim now.
    It's not the destination; but the journey that counts!
    You can take the lad out of Essex; but not Essex out of the lad!

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Definitely the 6 o'clock hold is best, but NOT touching the black - leave a distinct gap. Preferences vary on the size of the gap and it's a matter of personal taste. You will find your chosen point of aim is very repeatable. If you find you are getting vertical stringing (i.e shot group is elongated in the vertical plane), then you should use a lower point of aim, so that the white gap is bigger.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL