Thread: Original Mod. 5 help

Original Mod. 5 help

Does anyone know where I can purchase a replacement o-ring for an Original model 5 air pistol? It is the brown plastic grip type and has an o-ring piston seal, not the washer type as shown on the Chambers site. I have tried local factors etc. but with no joy as it appears to be an non standard size with a thicker cross section.

Any help much appreciated.....
    I am tackdriver, member since 2000, not any other unimaginative individual.

Just replaced the seal in my Original mod 5and was as shown in the chambers parts list. My thoughts are that it is a modification done by a previous owner or a gunsmith as this seems to be a common thing to do to if you have a lathe - will takes about 15 mins but leaves the next owner with a problem of finding the right O ring. My suggestion is to look online as there a engineering firms with good websights. I often do this when faced by simmilar situations like you. You can even but a length of the rubber of the right Dia and super glue it to the correct size but for a moving seal I would not do this but find the correct one. There are lots of different materials too. Bear in mind that the one you have may have been squashed and will look thicker or may have swollen due to being oiled.

Good luck let us know how you get on as the mod 5 is a great little pistol

George

I did wonder if had been modified. If it has it appears to have been well and looks very 'factory'. I do like the mod.5, I think it's a great plinker (mines is .22)
    I am tackdriver, member since 2000, not any other unimaginative individual.

Yup nice pistol, mines a .22 also and brown plastic like yours. Bet someone did not know where to get new seals from or could not fit the new one as without a taper to slide it over to fit it it is a job that can easily ruin a new seal. Quick job with a lathe to convet to O ring but it is a shame it has been done as new seals are available and if the O ring is too far back from the face of the piston you can loose some compression. Good luck in tracking a new O ring down - when you find one get 5 and put some by for a rainy day as they are only pence.

Best cheers
    George