Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stupid HW45's!

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters

Stupid HW45's!

I've had a couple in the past, very well made, nicely powerful and very accurate once you get the hang. The problem is i always sell them on cos they're so damn big!

I have another arriving in the morning (hopefully) which I intend to tinker, smooth out and have a go at the MPL with. I'm hoping the dinky Makarov will satisfy my caving for a smaller pistol allowing me to keep the beast as a long termer.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

YAY!! Good man.

45s are just awesome. A big, fat handful of a bruiser and, as you say, once mastered they're very accurate.

Love the trigger and love the sheer character of the things.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

It's arrived! I must admit, its smaller and lighter than the image I'd created in my mind. This could be because the last one I had was a Silver Star and the laminated grip was too big for my little hands and reaching the trigger was an issue!

I'm gonna have to wait til later to try it out and see if I need to take it apart or try running it as is at the moment. Age-wise, it has the daft safety writing on the side but not the even dafter tru-glo sights (just my opinion, so therefore probably wrong) which was a nice surprise. Not too old, not to new.....

Hw45

I persevered with mine and it payed dividends.
    Big cats are out there !!!!!!!!!!!

If you would like some nice wood grips for the 45 see lower post -wood grips.
    Your little hands might prefer the standard ones but I find them a bit basic.

Take your point about the Star grips tho.

Dieselly, dieselly Mr Diesel from Dieseltown!

Bearing in mind I was using it on the lower power setting on my 6yd range I was surprised by the quantity of blue smoke I got! I tried a couple at full power too, just for a laugh and it was worse!

My groups, if you could call them that, were around one and a half inches, but that was without my glasses, domed pellets and no target to aim for (just the backstop). My wife had a dozen shots too, her group was smaller, I reckon the dieselling must have eased off by then, so its coming apart this evening....

Still loving the gun though!

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post

Bearing in mind I was using it on the lower power setting on my 6yd range I was surprised by the quantity of blue smoke I got! I tried a couple at full power too, just for a laugh and it was worse!

My groups, if you could call them that, were around one and a half inches, but that was without my glasses, domed pellets and no target to aim for (just the backstop). My wife had a dozen shots too, her group was smaller, I reckon the dieselling must have eased off by then, so its coming apart this evening....

Mine arrived last week, and is also dieselling like a mothertrucker! The smell and the smoke took me back to my yoof though, and I'm loving it. I'll worry about decent groups some other time...

I've already ordered a hogue wraparound grip.... Had them previously and get on better with them.

Still agonising over a Mak due to your recent posts.... Can't really justify it and I'm skint, but a few bits have gone on the 'bay in anticipation/justification....

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TRS1 View Post
    Mine arrived last week, and is also dieselling like a mothertrucker! The smell and the smoke took me back to my yoof though, and I'm loving it. I'll worry about decent groups some other time...

I've already ordered a hogue wraparound grip.... Had them previously and get on better with them.

Still agonising over a Mak due to your recent posts.... Can't really justify it and I'm skint, but a few bits have gone on the 'bay in anticipation/justification....

Tim
    I'm still waiting for it to arrive!!

I'm still waiting for it to arrive!!
    I have put up a post on tuning these....or should I say de-tuning them...over on the HW45 Answers thread.
    They are great guns in every sense but must be run dry. Perfect parameters for flashing over any emollients that you care to put in it. On paper the best springer pistol ever devised but generates too much heat in reality....the reason its been chucked out as an MPL pistol.
    Clean everything, then clean it again. The stuff in it from new will keep it dieseling quite happily for months if not years if left inside. If you must lube wipe over a meniscus of Weblube....rubbing it into the grain structure itself and wipe back off.
    Mainspring guide placed inside the piston will increase inertia and realize 30 fps but reduce the accuracy by approx. 10% in .177 cal.
    Hobby pellets are key, with a soft skirt seal to aid combating piston slam and love the rifling in HWs but make sure you seat them well with the ball of your thumb or risking partly cropping the skirt on closing the top. No pellet is better in them if properly seated.
    Lube nothing....they will still last more than 10 years until you are bored with it.
    Ignore this and you would be far better off with an old Gamo Center!

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    I have put up a post on tuning these....or should I say de-tuning them...over on the HW45 Answers thread.
    Yeah, I've read that. I'm gonna have a look inside soon and see for myself. I'm not keen on running un lubricated, but I wouldn't mind testing some powder alternatives. I also want to check what can be done to improve the flow through the TP as well as reducing the spring and using some nylon bar for fancy bits.

What surprised me most was the gun dieseling on half cock, that must just be too much lube.

I'm considering getting another HW45. The black one with standard grips.

I used to wipe the surface of the one I previously owned with a cloth with a little gun oil on it. The surface started to wear away a little in places, leaving a shiny patch showing the bare metal beneath, and I wonder if the oily cloth was the cause. The gun was not used roughly. In fact it was hardly used at all.

Since the finish is black painted alloy, would I be better off just wiping it over with a clean dry cloth?

In case anyone suggests it, I never use a silicone cloth on any of my guns.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    I'm considering getting another HW45. The black one with standard grips.

I used to wipe the surface of the one I previously owned with a cloth with a little gun oil on it. The surface started to wear away a little in places, leaving a shiny patch showing the bare metal beneath, and I wonder if the oily cloth was the cause. The gun was not used roughly. In fact it was hardly used at all.

Since the finish is black painted alloy, would I be better off just wiping it over with a clean dry cloth?

In case anyone suggests it, I never use a silicone cloth on any of my guns.
    Don't use oil! Just a dry, clean cloth is all that's needed.

Thanks.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

OMG, You'll be getting a HW35 in your unfeasably small little mitts next - lol

My wife had a dozen shots too, her group was smaller
    I bet that made you feel better!!

Go on, admit it, you've just got to love that wonderful aroma!!

And blowing the smoke through the barrel post shot. Awesome!!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!