Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stupid HW45's!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Love my 40! I find it really easy to shoot accurately.

Love my 45 for its looks, heft, character and feel.

Would love a 75, too, one day.
    So Tone, you'd want the HW75 to shoot as good as (or better than) a HW40, and look / feel / handle as good as (or better than) a HW45...?

It is Tone! It absolutely flippin is! The 'dummy hammer' from the 45 is a real hammer on the 75 - and the 'match trigger' is a match trigger ... Plus, the semi-target grip ain't bad either

Quote Originally Posted by peteswright View Post
    Yeah,seen that vid, but honestly it wouldn't be any advantage to me personally. I've seen rubber cycle inner tube of correct size slipped over gun grips to mold to the form and give a different feel. What I would prefer is a flat front strap on all pistols. Not keen on these finger grove front straps. Universal flat front straps give me the feel I like. In fact, I've been thinking of filling in all my grooved grips to get them flat. Any ideas for this on polymer/plastic grips? ATB. Pete. PS. Just thought. Brian Zinns (google) does a piece on grip, and mentions this butt slipping thing.
    I'm with you on that Pete... I can't stand finger grooves on any pistol (or rifle) grip...

As I'm sure you know, but others may not - grip pressure should come from just the 3rd finger (the one next to the pinky)... and I completely agree that a wide flat front-strap area is preferable (as-seen on a match pistol grip)... however, too wide (without a chamfer), and you could introduce fingertip pressure (which is bad, as can cause technical errors)...

I suppose we could go around in a circle with modding grips, as a match pistol has a match grip, a combat (shape) pistol has a combat grip (obviously designed for reasons other than precission one-handed shooting).

Re the HW40 with it's combat grip formed as part of the frame - I can't find the Zinns article, but I think stippling would help. Or, how about your inner tube idea with a shaped piece of wood or delrin etc shoved up the front, with the rubber bit of tube holding it all together?... Probably wouldn't feel secure unless it was glued though... Or, a match type grip that fits over the existing grip... although the wood (or whatever) would probably need to be mighty thin in places (unless you have giant hands), and I guess would still need to be glued or screwed on... but you're probably asking the wrong person, cos I can be a bit 'Dr Frankenstien' with the woodworking tools...

Tell ya what - I'd like to try a 'tuned/fettled' HW45 with a match-type grip

ATB - Phil

[QUOTE=Rickenbacker;6239800]So Tone, you'd want the HW75 to shoot as good as (or better than) a HW40, and look / feel / handle as good as (or better than) a HW45...?

It is Tone! It absolutely flippin is! The 'dummy hammer' from the 45 is a real hammer on the 75 - and the 'match trigger' is a match trigger ... Plus, the semi-target grip ain't bad either

I'm with you on that Pete... I can't stand finger grooves on any pistol (or rifle) grip...

As I'm sure you know, but others may not - grip pressure should come from just the 3rd finger (the one next to the pinky)... and I completely agree that a wide flat front-strap area is preferable (as-seen on a match pistol grip)... however, too wide (without a chamfer), and you could introduce fingertip pressure (which is bad, as can cause technical errors)...

I suppose we could go around in a circle with modding grips, as a match pistol has a match grip, a combat (shape) pistol has a combat grip (obviously designed for reasons other than precission one-handed shooting).

Re the HW40 with it's combat grip formed as part of the frame - I can't find the Zinns article, but I think stippling would help. Or, how about your inner tube idea with a shaped piece of wood or delrin etc shoved up the front, with the rubber bit of tube holding it all together?... Probably wouldn't feel secure unless it was glued though... Or, a match type grip that fits over the existing grip... although the wood (or whatever) would probably need to be mighty thin in places (unless you have giant hands), and I guess would still need to be glued or screwed on... but you're probably asking the wrong person, cos I can be a bit 'Dr Frankenstien' with the woodworking tools...

Tell ya what - I'd like to try a 'tuned/fettled' HW45 with a match-type grip

ATB - Phil [/QUOTE www.brianzins.com/2010/06/11/grip/‎ Try this in Google. I see you've given the grip mod some thought!!! Cant think how to flatten the front strap on the 40 without it ending up a mess! Ill probably carry on with it as is its not too bad a shape compared to the Alecto, which I sold because I couldn't get on with that grip, insisting I hold it their way. I found it a distraction when aiming and firing. ATB. Pete. PS. Sorry but that link doesn't seem to work. Try it again, I found it. Brian Zins, fundementals.
    Last edited by peteswright; 18-01-2014 at 05:52 PM.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by peteswright View Post
    I see you've given the grip mod some thought!!! Cant think how to flatten the front strap on the 40 without it ending up a mess! Ill probably carry on with it as is its not too bad a shape compared to the Alecto, which I sold because I couldn't get on with that grip, insisting I hold it their way. I found it a distraction when aiming and firing. ATB. Pete. PS. Sorry but that link doesn't seem to work. Try it again, I found it. Brian Zins, fundementals.
    Not really much thought, I found a good solution with my HW40 - Sold it! - Talk is cheap!

Now, about this lovely HW75 I've bought... as with the the HW45, as i'm right handed, the RHS safety lever interferes with my trigger finger, and therefore my chi... is it alright to just take the screw out and remove the RHS lever? Is the trigger going to drop out or anything if I do??

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Not really much thought, I found a good solution with my HW40 - Sold it! - Talk is cheap!

Now, about this lovely HW75 I've bought... as with the the HW45, as i'm right handed, the RHS safety lever interferes with my trigger finger, and therefore my chi... is it alright to just take the screw out and remove the RHS lever? Is the trigger going to drop out or anything if I do??
    If You do what Brian zins suggests about having most of the hand around the right hand side of the grip, this gives a bit more reach in the trigger finger so as to clear that safety catch. As i'm sure you know, no part of the trigger finger, from web to pad should touch that side of the gun, which can cause pressure or drag. We need to create a cavity, so you shouldn't be in contact with the safety. Don't quote me on this, but I think I've heard of people removing the safety catch on 45's, but haven't and don't need to myself. Dont know about your hand size regarding the 75, but with my fingers on the front strap theres a slight bulge just where the ring finger middle bone rests, which aids that hold you mentioned, loverly! One tip for lubing the 75's piston, is to inject two drops of Magic9 or pellgunoil with a syringe into the white felt washer seen through air inlet hole after every 250 pellets. I have separate pellet pouches containing 250 pellets for each gun, so I know to lube when pellets run out! Its a great piece of kit that HW75,so smooth, and the dry fire facility is very useful. DON'T SELL IT!!! ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post

If You do what Brian zins suggests about having most of the hand around the right hand side of the grip, this gives a bit more reach in the trigger finger so as to clear that safety catch. As i'm sure you know, no part of the trigger finger, from web to pad should touch that side of the gun, which can cause pressure or drag. We need to create a cavity, so you shouldn't be in contact with the safety. Don't quote me on this, but I think I've heard of people removing the safety catch on 45's, but haven't and don't need to myself. Dont know about your hand size regarding the 75, but with my fingers on the front strap theres a slight bulge just where the ring finger middle bone rests, which aids that hold you mentioned, loverly! One tip for lubing the 75's piston, is to inject two drops of Magic9 or pellgunoil with a syringe into the white felt washer seen through air inlet hole after every 250 pellets. I have separate pellet pouches containing 250 pellets for each gun, so I know to lube when pellets run out! Its a great piece of kit that HW75,so smooth, and the dry fire facility is very useful. DON'T SELL IT!!! ATB. Pete.

Don't know what happened there! Seem to got same post twice. Sorry. Pete.