Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need your knowledge lads.

I need your knowledge lads.

I'm having a bit of a problem lads.

Setting up a new scope and having some difficulties. One minute, everything seems to be fine, then it's all over the place. I can stand a little bit of waywardness, which I firmly lay at my doorstep, but I'm getting some real big differences. One minute it can be shooting fine then all of a sudden it will drop a couple of pellets about 3" low (in exactly the same hole), then return to the previous point of impact 3" higher. All this is bench resting.

I've tried all the obvious: Barrel clean, check and tighten everything up, do a string on chrono, select and size pellets. Gun is EV2 mk4 less than a year old, scope is a nightforce 12-42x56. Seems difficult to put the blame anywhere with the kit, so any ideas?

I intend to do a full string of 60 shots over the chrono at some time today as the sudden drop and then return to original POI would seem to sugest a temporary power drop to me. I can't imagine any fault with the scope doing this.

Ken, it sounds to me as if your regulator isn't performing. Maybe it's sticking?
    Any loss and return of POI suggests to me that the reg is playing up.

I wonder what your chrono session will reveal?
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Try to shoot groups over a chrono to match shots with fps.

Try taking off any muzzle break etc. Just incase something's loose or clipping.

If that's all ok - worry about your elevation turret, or extreme PX error! (is it a brand new scope or new to you?).

Last edited by Rickenbacker; 14-09-2013 at 11:06 AM. Reason: more

String of 60 shots done. 99% at 784, plus or minus 4 ft/sec. Odd couple dropped to 758 759 within the first dozen shots from filling. Then 40 really consistant shots. A lot more dropping into the 758 region at the end of the string. The odd shot at the end of the string was still producing 784 ft/sec however. I would think even at the biggest power drop, it would not account for a 3" drop in POI though.

Took the gun back to the supplier (it's a fortnight out of guarantee). They said AA wouldn't have a problem with this however. We did another string over a full fill, and there were no major drops which would account for the drop in POI. After a good session analysing, we decided that it may be best to leave it a while before doing anything. The gun hasn't had a lot of use from new and only gets an outing once a week and gets about 50 pellets a session through it, so it might still be settling down!!!! Maybe the reg acting up and needs some use? Pellets did come into the equation, but I've been using quality pellets (even sized them to do the tests), so I'm ruling that out.

I can't see it being the scope. It is a new scope to me, but we are talking a top notch scope, with a proven competition pedigree, from a top guy. Some of the best optics I've ever seen and the best at rangefinding bar none. It may be me who is just not used to it. The eye relief is a bit fussy TBH. It won't be the elevation turret as I have it set to 40yds and use mil dots. It would have settled by now.

So, I reckon I'll percy veer for a while yet and wait for the winter to come and let a chappie of some repute give the gun a thorough service for me.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Get hold of a fixed-power scope, even a modest one, and give it a go. 3" low is a massive power-drop at any range. My bets are on the scope, even if it is a fancy-pants one.

try another scope then if you still have the same problem you will know its not the new scope

Give me a ring on pal. I have a scope you can try on it to see if that's at fault. I'm in Barnsley too.

Dan
    Last edited by Anothermiss; 15-09-2013 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anothermiss View Post
    I have a scope you can try on it to see if that's at fault. I'm in Barnsley too.

Dan
    Thanks for the offer Dan, but I've got a tried and tested Bushnell legend to try that with. I've done some more testing over 25yd at home and results look encouraging. It may just have needed more useage than it normally gets to loosen it up. Tried some different pellets and POI is exactly the same, so I reckon I can rule pellets out. I've also remounted the scope further forward by about an inch to try to get better eye relief. I've found one thing out though.......I shoot more accurately at 12 mag than 22 and upwards.
    Last edited by LESS THAN FORTUITOUS KENNETH; 15-09-2013 at 11:11 AM.

Do me a favour then ken, edit my number out of your quoted post pal. Glad it's sorted mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Anothermiss View Post
    Do me a favour then ken, edit my number out of your quoted post pal. Glad it's sorted mate.
    As requested Dan. Thanks again.

Let us know how you get on, Mr Bowel Bugle.
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Quote Originally Posted by snock View Post
    Let us know how you get on, Mr Bowel Bugle.
    Not played the trouser trumpet for a good long while now Pete.

Ev2, sounds like reg creep, easy tell, shoot over chrono 5 shots one after the other , should all be close. Leave for 5 mins bet the fps drops, if it does reg creep, reg service will fix.

Quote Originally Posted by craigtodd1968 View Post
    Ev2, sounds like reg creep, easy tell, shoot over chrono 5 shots one after the other , should all be close. Leave for 5 mins bet the fps drops, if it does reg creep, reg service will fix.
    Thats been done twice over a string of 60 shots Craig. Not enough differentials to make much of a difference.

secretagentmole Guest
    What pellets are you using? Some are not as good as manufacturers would have us believe!