Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: K22 Long Barrel Pistol from Caledonian Classic Arms- initial review plus Youtube vid

K22 Long Barrel Pistol from Caledonian Classic Arms- initial review plus Youtube vid

Hi folks

Well I treated myself to one of these recently and I have to say it's smashing.

Since it's a .22 blowback version of the Grand Power 9mm pistol, it's based on a proven design. Obviously we've got the stupid length barrel and coathanger but otherwise it's a standard K22.
    Frame is polymer and steel with the slide being all steel and running on steel rails. I have the X-Trim version which has a lightened slide, I also went for the large ambi safety, competition trigger, Ellison adjustable sights and enlarged mag release.

The trigger has moderate travel, you can feel the release point if you take a slow shot, it's very predictable. Trigger reset is short so you're not letting the trigger all the way out for the next shot. Very good for rapid fire or double taps, if that's your thing.

The barrel on the x-trim is fluted to reduce weight and is threaded. You can shoot with the shroud on or off, your choice. Centre of gravity with the shroud fitted is right on the trigger, this is by far the best handling LBP in my opinion. I've handled the TSC 1911 and several Buckmark conversions and this K22 simply handles better. It's quite light as well but doesn't feel "plasticky", just well balanced. Everyone who's picked it up immediately says "wow that's nice" or similar.

Mechanism is very simple - barrel is fixed to the frame - and is very accurate - with the blowback reciprocating the slide in the conventional manner. No barrel bushings to worry about here, the barrel doesn't move at all.

The mags are plastic but well made and should handle being dropped. They hold 16 rounds each with higher capacity mags on the way soon. Loading is easy, you can load by hand or if you want an easy option, you can pop a small allen key/screwdriver/whatever through a cut-out in the mag and pull the follower down. I've found I can load a full 16 rounds without pullling the follower. The mags have enlarged bottoms and the magwell is a funnel design making fast mag changes a breeze. Hitting the mag release allows the mag to drop out immediately, you don't need to pull it.

Spent round ejection is positive and I've had nearly 1,000 rounds through it in two weeks without any issues. Gun comes with two recoil springs, for standard and HV ammo. Spring change takes 20 seconds but I've not needed to change mine and have tried CCI standard, Geco, Winchester Laser, R50 and Eley Team and they all performed great.

You get two 13 round mags and hard carry case with the gun so other than ammo you're ready to go.

I've just shot with the iron sights at the moment and off a rest with my rubbish eyes I was pulling a 1.5" group at 20 yards. I know the gun will do better than this.

The gun is very simple to clean and will field strip in seconds. I've done a Youtube video which shows this and talks about the gun ;

http://youtu.be/J_qg6THTEck

I should be fitting a mount and reflex sight soon, I'll pop up another vid when I've done that.

Cheers!
    PaulM
    Last edited by arsefactor; 14-01-2014 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Corrected wrong mag capacity
    NSRA and NRA qualified RCO.

I've just ordered one through my Rfd. I've gone for the whisper version (integral moderator) along with the x trim slide and the plus pack (enlarged mag catch and angled extended safety, comp trigger).

I went for the whisper as though I'm well aware that the non moderated version will be less ammo fussy, I will be using it mostly in my clubs indoor range which is rather small. That and a "silenced pistol" just sounds so damn funky!

Getting fed up of constantly staring at pictures of K22's now and rather wishing mine would hurry up and get here!

What are the legal restrictions on a silenced pistol..?? I'd have thought there are some....do you need a slot for the moderator.??

I really like these since I saw them at Phoenix, just wish i hadn't jumped the gun(!!) and bought a TSC1911....

When I picked mine up another chap was collecting the whisper version, so we both had a good look at it.

The barrel on the whisper is ported with multiple small holes drilled into the barrel for gas venting. The shroud is about the same but with an extra tube of aluminium inside to allow for better gas flow.

Unfortunately we couldn't shoot it at the time so I'm unable to say how much quieter it is. Caledonian do point out that it should be properly though - think of all the gasses condensing in the shroud. 10 seconds to strip for cleaning though.

Quote Originally Posted by arsefactor View Post
    When I picked mine up another chap was collecting the whisper version, so we both had a good look at it.
    As for how much quieter it actually is, I believe that the answer to this might be in some way connected with the name of this model.

Could be wrong, tho'.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by Daryll View Post
    What are the legal restrictions on a silenced pistol..?? I'd have thought there are some....do you need a slot for the moderator.??

I really like these since I saw them at Phoenix, just wish i hadn't jumped the gun(!!) and bought a TSC1911....
    You only require a slot for a ".22lr long barreled pistol". The sound moderator is integral to the whisper ie: built into the gun rather than as a seperate item. Therefore no second slot for a moderator is required.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairydavey View Post
    You only require a slot for a ".22lr long barreled pistol". The sound moderator is integral to the whisper ie: built into the gun rather than as a seperate item. Therefore no second slot for a moderator is required.
    Oh damn.......anyone want to buy a hardly used TSC1911, 3 mags, adjustable sights.....???

Hi folks

Well I treated myself to one of these recently and I have to say it's smashing.

Since it's a .22 blowback version of the Grand Power 9mm pistol, it's based on a proven design. Obviously we've got the stupid length barrel and coathanger but otherwise it's a standard K22.
    Frame is polymer and steel with the slide being all steel and running on steel rails. I have the X-Trim version which has a lightened slide, I also went for the large ambi safety, competition trigger, Ellison adjustable sights and enlarged mag release.

The trigger has moderate travel, you can feel the release point if you take a slow shot, it's very predictable. Trigger reset is short so you're not letting the trigger all the way out for the next shot. Very good for rapid fire or double taps, if that's your thing.

The barrel on the x-trim is fluted to reduce weight and is threaded. You can shoot with the shroud on or off, your choice. Centre of gravity with the shroud fitted is right on the trigger, this is by far the best handling LBP in my opinion. I've handled the TSC 1911 and several Buckmark conversions and this K22 simply handles better. It's quite light as well but doesn't feel "plasticky", just well balanced. Everyone who's picked it up immediately says "wow that's nice" or similar.

Mechanism is very simple - barrel is fixed to the frame - and is very accurate - with the blowback reciprocating the slide in the conventional manner. No barrel bushings to worry about here, the barrel doesn't move at all.

The mags are plastic but well made and should handle being dropped. They hold 16 rounds each with higher capacity mags on the way soon. Loading is easy, you can load by hand or if you want an easy option, you can pop a small allen key/screwdriver/whatever through a cut-out in the mag and pull the follower down. I've found I can load a full 16 rounds without pullling the follower. The mags have enlarged bottoms and the magwell is a funnel design making fast mag changes a breeze. Hitting the mag release allows the mag to drop out immediately, you don't need to pull it.

Spent round ejection is positive and I've had nearly 1,000 rounds through it in two weeks without any issues. Gun comes with two recoil springs, for standard and HV ammo. Spring change takes 20 seconds but I've not needed to change mine and have tried CCI standard, Geco, Winchester Laser, R50 and Eley Team and they all performed great.

You get two 13 round mags and hard carry case with the gun so other than ammo you're ready to go.

I've just shot with the iron sights at the moment and off a rest with my rubbish eyes I was pulling a 1.5" group at 20 yards. I know the gun will do better than this.

The gun is very simple to clean and will field strip in seconds. I've done a Youtube video which shows this and talks about the gun ;

http://youtu.be/J_qg6THTEck

I should be fitting a mount and reflex sight soon, I'll pop up another vid when I've done that.

Cheers!
    PaulM
    Very good review Paul and I also liked the you tube clip. I am going to treat myself to one of these very soon as well. Can you tell me where you got it from and did you get to see it in the flesh before you bought it? As I don't leave that far away, I thought I could call in to the shop to have a look myself.
    Cheers Paul

Hi Paul

Caledonian Classic Arms are the importer - just google them, website comes up right away.
    No, I didn't get to see it "in the flesh" before buying, but I met Scott and Feroza of Caledonian Classics at a club near Oldham to pick up the gun and they didn't charge my credit card until afterwards, so almost the same thing.

I did research the K22 and it's parent gun in detail before buying. All reviews/comments I read were positive.

I'll be doing another vid soon showing how to fit a Fab Defense universal pistol mount and reflex sight, keep an eye on the Youtube channel.

They will be releasing 20 round conversion kits for the mags soon, to take them from the standard 13 rounds. I'll do a video on that when they're available.

Cheers!
    PaulM

Thumbs up

Hi Paul

Caledonian Classic Arms are the importer - just google them, website comes up right away.
    No, I didn't get to see it "in the flesh" before buying, but I met Scott and Feroza of Caledonian Classics at a club near Oldham to pick up the gun and they didn't charge my credit card until afterwards, so almost the same thing.

I did research the K22 and it's parent gun in detail before buying. All reviews/comments I read were positive.

I'll be doing another vid soon showing how to fit a Fab Defense universal pistol mount and reflex sight, keep an eye on the Youtube channel.

They will be releasing 20 round conversion kits for the mags soon, to take them from the standard 13 rounds. I'll do a video on that when they're available.

Cheers!
    PaulM
    Thanks for getting back to me, Paul. If you let me know when you post the clip, I'll have a look.

Cheers. Paul

I've just posted another vid showing the magazines in more detail.

Working on a vid for fitting a reflex sight with a universal pistol mount. Takes a bit of fettling, need to test on a live range and I can't get there until Sunday. I'll update afterwards.

If you want to handle a K22, they will be at the shooting show next month.

Cheers!

Just remember to keep the barrel well oiled. I had a very thin layer on mine and it's started to rust already.
    Apparently "Zombie Apocalypse" isn't a good reason to acquire.

I've just posted another vid showing the magazines in more detail.

Working on a vid for fitting a reflex sight with a universal pistol mount. Takes a bit of fettling, need to test on a live range and I can't get there until Sunday. I'll update afterwards.

If you want to handle a K22, they will be at the shooting show next month.

Cheers!
    Thanks for the heads up.

I tried to get across to see Scott while I was in Glasgow earlier this week, but they are at the SHOT show, so I've arranged to see them at the shooting show in Feb.

Hopefully I'll be able to see, feel and buy one. while I'm there.

I look forward to the next video.

Cheers. Paul

Picked mine up yesterday and I'm very impressed, handles superbly.

Mine is the whisper version and from what I can tell from pics and the op's vid, the standard and whisper versions seem to use the same shroud on the barrel. I very much doubt that you could ever tell the difference without taking the shroud off as even the end cap looks identical.

The moderator is very simple, several holes in the barrel to vent gasses, a small aluminum tube which fits over the barrel and forces gasses down the flutes cut in the barrel, into an expansion chamber with a thick washer and spring, no baffles as such. Looks to be very easy to clean. Somebody really thought about the design.

Also my magazines have a button protrusion on the mag follower so you can pull the follower down with your thumb to make mag loading easier.

If I have one complaint about the gun, its the finish on the barrel. It looks almost dark brown in colour, similar to finishes I have seen sometimes on cast alloy parts, and it does scratch easily when removing the slide for cleaning.

I cannot wait to get to the club next week to "break it in"!
    Last edited by Hairydavey; 15-02-2014 at 07:37 AM.

Airbrush Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairydavey View Post
    Picked mine up yesterday and I'm very impressed, handles superbly.

Mine is the whisper version and from what I can tell from pics and the op's vid, the standard and whisper versions seem to use the same shroud on the barrel. I very much doubt that you could ever tell the difference without taking the shroud off as even the end cap looks identical.

The moderator is very simple, several holes in the barrel to vent gasses, a small aluminum tube which fits over the barrel and forces gasses down the flutes cut in the barrel, into an expansion chamber with a thick washer and spring, no baffles as such. Looks to be very easy to clean. Somebody really thought about the design.

Also my magazines have a button protrusion on the mag follower so you can pull the follower down with your thumb to make mag loading easier.

If I have one complaint about the gun, its the finish on the barrel. It looks almost dark brown in colour, similar to finishes I have seen sometimes on cast alloy parts, and it does scratch easily when removing the slide for cleaning.

I cannot wait to get to the club next week to "break it in"!
    Cool, I'm interested in the Whisper, let us know how effective the moderator is.