Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: K22 Long Barrel Pistol from Caledonian Classic Arms- initial review plus Youtube vid

If i must.

Well with all the positive feedback that members are posting I feel that I must give the K22 a GO. Having had a slot on my cert for over a year I have today ordered The K22, X Trim, Plus,Whisper . I have been told it will be at my local RFD (the sportsman Exeter ) tomorrow. Here we go again like a big kid on xmas eve. I will let you know how I get on with it Thanks Paul.

I shot the K22 again today.

Its only really one of the Mag's that seems to get stuck when you pull the spring down sometimes it doesn't go all the way back up, unless you give the Mag a tap .
    Looking at the design of the two different Mag's, the new one has a plastic button each side you grip to pull the spring down to load the rounds.
    The old one does not have these just a plastic loop to insert an Alan key or similar to pull the spring down to load the rounds.
    It feels like the plastic buttons are binding, catching itself on the new type Mag making it stick, If that is what is happening then I cant see how it can be fixed.
    £32.50 for a new Mag isn't cheap especially if it happens again.
    I wish they made the Mag's out of metal, perhaps they would be more durable then.

Below is a link to a photo of the new & old Mags
    The new mag on the left you can see the slide is stuck down about 1cm from the top.

http://s8.postimg.org/sk8oectb9/IMG_20150113_00102.jpg
    image sharing

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by Frag Muppet View Post
    I shot the K22 again today.

Its only really one of the Mag's that seems to get stuck when you pull the spring down sometimes it doesn't go all the way back up, unless you give the Mag a tap .
    Looking at the design of the two different Mag's, the new one has a plastic button each side you grip to pull the spring down to load the rounds.
    The old one does not have these just a plastic loop to insert an Alan key or similar to pull the spring down to load the rounds.
    It feels like the plastic buttons are binding, catching itself on the new type Mag making it stick, If that is what is happening then I cant see how it can be fixed.
    £32.50 for a new Mag isn't cheap especially if it happens again.
    I wish they made the Mag's out of metal, perhaps they would be more durable then.

Below is a link to a photo of the new & old Mags
    The new mag on the left you can see the slide is stuck down about 1cm from the top.

http://s8.postimg.org/sk8oectb9/IMG_20150113_00102.jpg
    image sharing

It's easy enough to strip the mag and maybe de-burr it a little. Just knock out the base retaining pin. Worth a try?
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

JMOHO...

I would strip the mag and using fine emery dress the inside, especially where the detent is as it looks just about there is where you have your problem.

ATB

http://lbp-forum.boards.net/

RR

Quote Originally Posted by marlin444 View Post
    Well with all the positive feedback that members are posting I feel that I must give the K22 a GO. Having had a slot on my cert for over a year I have today ordered The K22, X Trim, Plus,Whisper . I have been told it will be at my local RFD (the sportsman Exeter ) tomorrow. Here we go again like a big kid on xmas eve. I will let you know how I get on with it Thanks Paul.
    Hi my K22 arrived today as promised very impressed it handles all the standard velocity ammo that i have put through it. Then i tried the sub sonic Winchesters that i had. The pistol did not consistently cycle these rounds firing 1 or 2 then not blowing all the way back to load the next round. has anybody that has the whisper version found a sub sonic round that works ok thanks in advance Paul.

K22/ subs

Hi my k22 whisper came with 2 lots of springs. 1 black set of 2 on the pistol and 1 steel colour set of 2 in a bag. IF you want to use sub sonic ammo in the pistol do need to change them over as at the moment it will not cycle subs. Thanks Paul.

Subs In the K22

Quote Originally Posted by Hairydavey View Post
    ^^^^^This^^^^^

I've run CCI Standard through my X Trim Whisper with no problems like the O.P. with the weaker spring. Worked flawlessly, and the moderator reduced the pop considerably. Managed some subs fine too, though you could tell the pistol was on its limit with regards to ammo as the slides recoil became a little sluggish.

You will love the extended mag, I used my two tonight and they ran perfectly.

You got a hell of a birthday present!
    Hi Can you please tell me which make of subs you were using as i am trying to find a make that will feed ok Thanks Paul.

Was a while ago but if I recall correctly, they were Winchester subs.

My gun came with a strong recoil spring and a weaker one. I had to run with the weaker spring and the recoil was sluggish and not snappy though the pistol did feed and fire them.

Subs In the K22

Was a while ago but if I recall correctly, they were Winchester subs.

My gun came with a strong recoil spring and a weaker one. I had to run with the weaker spring and the recoil was sluggish and not snappy though the pistol did feed and fire them.
    Hi I took the pistol up to the tunnels shooting range over the weekend which gave me the opportunity to to give the pistol a good work out. Again I found the pistol shot well with CCI mini mags and other standard velocity ammo. Anyway 300 Rounds later, time to try the subs again. First the Winchester sub which gave intermittent reliability, then Eley subs same again, then CCI subs same again. Time to change to the low power spring, unfortunately could not get the inner mod tube off the barrell, it was stuck solid, so was unable to try the low power springs. Back at home I had to take a blowtorch to the inner mod tube to remove it, as it was full of crud. I think I will have to clean the internals of the mod after every 50 rounds or so. Back up to the tunnels next week to try out the low power springs. Many thanks for your reply Thanks Paul.

To make cleaning easier I use a small amount of bearing grease on the inside of the mod end caps where they slip over the barrel, and a small amount on the muzzle thread (and I do mean a small amount). Helps removing those caps a lot easier after firing.

As for the inner mod tube, I ditched that, the spring, and the washer. I use a tube consisting of fine bronze mesh (roughly 150 holes per inch or finer) rolled several times over the ported portion of the barrel which I have small zip ties holding it together. Hard to explain (I'll take a pic at some point), but I personally think it's more effective than the original design and makes the gun easier to clean. Many older mod/suppressor designs used mesh so it's not a new idea.

The later whispers don't use an inner tube etc at all, the barrel is ported only just back from the muzzle and the whole mod body works as a big expansion chamber in a similar manner to a reflex mod. Pics of both older and newer whisper mod guts are in Airbrushes and my own posts one or two pages back in this thread.
    Last edited by Hairydavey; 19-01-2015 at 12:18 AM.

To make cleaning easier I use a small amount of bearing grease on the inside of the mod end caps where they slip over the barrel, and a small amount on the muzzle thread (and I do mean a small amount). Helps removing those caps a lot easier after firing.

As for the inner mod tube, I ditched that, the spring, and the washer. I use a tube consisting of fine bronze mesh (roughly 150 holes per inch or finer) rolled several times over the ported portion of the barrel which I have small zip ties holding it together. Hard to explain (I'll take a pic at some point), but I personally think it's more effective than the original design and makes the gun easier to clean. Many older mod/suppressor designs used mesh so it's not a new idea.

The later whispers don't use an inner tube etc at all, the barrel is ported only just back from the muzzle and the whole mod body works as a big expansion chamber in a similar manner to a reflex mod. Pics of both older and newer whisper mod guts are in Airbrushes and my own posts one or two pages back in this thread.
    Hi I now have had time to look at the pictures of the 2 versions of the whisper barrels it seems that having only got mine a week ago I have the older version. Thanks for your reply Paul.

Mag problem sorted

Just an update on my sticking Mag problem.

I took the Mag apart, quite easy just tap out the pin on the base.
    Apart from the spring and the pin, all the parts are plastic.

I found that the two buttons you hold to pull down the spring to load ammo is made of round plastic in the middle.
    This was rubbing against the body of the Mag & wearing a grove into it.
    I used a small fine file to rub down the inside of the body of the Mag & to try & round off the button again in the middle.
    Stretched the spring very slightly, cleaned it all off & reassembled.

The Mag is no longer sticking & appears to be working properly again.

How long it lasts though, before it does it again?

Will have to contact Caledonia Classic Arms to see if they sell replacement internals for the Mags.

Stuart

To be honest I bought two of the 19 round extended mags and never looked back. Trying to find a couple more so I can toss the 10 rounders in the bin or set fire to them depending on how my mood will be when the time comes. I've had so many problems with them and hate them that much.

The 13 and 19 round magazines are far better, made of different and more sturdy plastic. No idea why they went to the 10 rounders but I suspect penny pinching.

Shame as it's a well made gun and great with decent mags.

X Trim update

Hi Guys just an update about me & my X Trim.

From day one I have struggled with shooting my X Trim not from any issues with the gun but from old age!

As a “senior” practical pistol shooter from before the 97 ban I really enjoyed my pistol shooting and when the X trim first came on the scene I took the plunge and bought one even though you have to put up with a very long barrel and that stupid rod hanging out the back.

I have to say that although the barrel & the rod get in the way when you are on the range, once that buzzer goes off and you start shooting you don't really notice it.

The problem I have had is with my tired old eyes, if I put my reading glasses on I can see the sights perfectly but the targets are a complete blur and when I put my proper glasses on I can see the targets but not the sights.

The answer to my problem came in the form of the new mini red dot sight mount from.

http://www.customguns.co.uk/shop-pag...-mount/9700063

As I already had a Shield Mini Red Dot Sight sitting in the drawer, it was just a case of removing the original sight and fitting the new mount and then the sight on top.

And then off to the range to sight it in which took all of 5 mins, I have to say I was amazed with the results I was able to shoot much faster, tighter groups almost straight away.

The trouble is when I miss now I have no more excuses it's all down to me and the lack of trigger control.

Back in the days before the 97 ban I tried shooting my pistols with red dots on but I could never find the dot as back then the mounts were always to high, but with this new mount and Shield mini red dot it's as close to the bore line as physically possible so I found it easier to pick up the red dot.

I tried to take some pics of the set up but I think my daughter has been messing with my camera as the pics all look blurred to me!

I will try and add them if i can asap. Cheers

XTrim plus whisper

Based on all these rave reviews and input from other BBS members I've decided to go for an Xtrim with the integrated moderator. Just wanted to ask before ordering, does the moderator slow down the action and is it more sensitive to ammo?

Many thanks