Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: K22 Long Barrel Pistol from Caledonian Classic Arms- initial review plus Youtube vid

Airbrush Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rimfire-rebel View Post
    BRILL!! ANOTHER LBP HITS THE RANGES!!

So Airbrush wots the difference betwixt the two, is it a trigger job?

ATB

RR
    Basically the plus just has all the go faster bits including the trigger, went for the standard as I prefer the look to the milled out slide.

Airbrush Guest
    Pick it up today & I must say first impressions are I'm very pleased with the build quality & it looks much better in real life.

Hopefully get to shoot it on tuesday evening.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Airbrush View Post
    Pick it up today & I must say first impressions are I'm very pleased with the build quality & it looks much better in real life.

I bet you cant wait!!! How about some picces I would love to see them

BTW... I am in the throes of building a Forum dedicated purely to LBPs. PM me for more details.

RR

Nice

Yours should be a bit more ammo tolerant than mine as you've gone for the lightweight slide. Bang a micro red dot on there too and you're in buisness You know you want to......

http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps54642276.jpg

Only mount that's readily available that isn't airsoft is the F.A.B. Usm rail (being F.A.B., it's cheap but heavier than it needs to be), which isn't a good fit. You'll have to either file the rails on the inside of the mount (the route I went), or whack the mount onto the frame rail which will reform the rail on the pistol.

This is due to the K22 rail being slightly out of spec and slightly larger than picatinny size.

Once mounted you can still use irons and the balance isn't too bad either. Plus it looks pretty sweet.

Get yourself some 13 or 19 round mags mate, better than the 10 rounders. They are getting hard to find unfortunately.

I'm experimenting with some stainless steel scouring pad (not brillo type but the coarser stuff that looks to be made up of flat twisted ribbon), packed into the moderator expansion chamber. As the actual bore itself won't come into contact with the packing there is no risk of bullet strike, and such material is commonly used in the U.S.. I'll post back once I've tested it out, as I'm hoping it could help moderator effectiveness by further slowing down the expanding gasses. As you probably know the whisper moderator doesn't have any baffles, so I'm theorizing that the packing will hopefully act in a similar manner to baffles. If it doesn't, it wouldn't cause any damage anyway and I'll just remove it if uneffective.

http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps80361e7b.jpg
    Last edited by Hairydavey; 06-09-2014 at 11:32 AM.

Airbrush Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairydavey View Post
    Nice

Yours should be a bit more ammo tolerant than mine as you've gone for the lightweight slide. Bang a micro red dot on there too and you're in buisness You know you want to......

http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps54642276.jpg

Only mount that's readily available that isn't airsoft is the F.A.B. Usm rail (being F.A.B., it's cheap but heavier than it needs to be), which isn't a good fit. You'll have to either file the rails on the inside of the mount (the route I went), or whack the mount onto the frame rail which will reform the rail on the pistol.

This is due to the K22 rail being slightly out of spec and slightly larger than picatinny size.

Once mounted you can still use irons and the balance isn't too bad either. Plus it looks pretty sweet.

Get yourself some 13 or 19 round mags mate, better than the 10 rounders. They are getting hard to find unfortunately.

I'm experimenting with some stainless steel scouring pad (not brillo type but the coarser stuff that looks to be made up of flat twisted ribbon), packed into the moderator expansion chamber. As the actual bore itself won't come into contact with the packing there is no risk of bullet strike, and such material is commonly used in the U.S.. I'll post back once I've tested it out, as I'm hoping it could help moderator effectiveness by further slowing down the expanding gasses. As you probably know the whisper moderator doesn't have any baffles, so I'm theorizing that the packing will hopefully act in a similar manner to baffles. If it doesn't, it wouldn't cause any damage anyway and I'll just remove it if uneffective.

The Whisper design has changed by the looks of it, mine just has the shroud & end cap, no inner or spring & it has 5 holes in each of the flutes which go out to 70mm from the muzzle.

The Whisper design has changed by the looks of it, mine just has the shroud & end cap, no inner or spring & it has 5 holes in each of the flutes which go out to 70mm from the muzzle.
    Any way you could post a pic? I'd love to see the difference.

I've tried it without the liner but it bleeds off too much gas, so the slide won't go back.

Airbrush Guest
    Any way you could post a pic? I'd love to see the difference.

I've tried it without the liner but it bleeds off too much gas, so the slide won't go back.
    I'll try & post one later.

Here.
    Last edited by Airbrush; 06-09-2014 at 03:59 PM.

I'll try & post one later.

Here.
    Crickey, they really did change it!

In effect I suppose yours works almost like a reflex mod in a way with gas tapped off near the muzzle then forced rearwards into the moderator body. I think yours is a better design than mine. On mine, the liner/sleeve covers the holes in the flutes, then the gases are forced down the flutes and forwards into the expansion chamber. Yours is simpler, I'll bet it's more ammo tolerant too.

I'm wondering where I would stand legally with omitting my sleve/spring/liner and making up a mesh/wire core. I would keep the spring at the slide end to form an expansion chamber, then have a core comprised of fine stainless mesh, stainless wire filling, then stainless mesh outer. It would be one piece and easy to fit/remove, but don't know if I'm allowed to do it or not.

Both the Russian PB Makarov and Sterling SMG used mesh in their suppressor designs.

Many thanks for the pic, opened my eyes a little!

Airbrush Guest
    Crickey, they really did change it!

In effect I suppose yours works almost like a reflex mod in a way with gas tapped off near the muzzle then forced rearwards into the moderator body. I think yours is a better design than mine. On mine, the liner/sleeve covers the holes in the flutes, then the gases are forced down the flutes and forwards into the expansion chamber. Yours is simpler, I'll bet it's more ammo tolerant too.

I'm wondering where I would stand legally with omitting my sleve/spring/liner and making up a mesh/wire core. I would keep the spring at the slide end to form an expansion chamber, then have a core comprised of fine stainless mesh, stainless wire filling, then stainless mesh outer. It would be one piece and easy to fit/remove, but don't know if I'm allowed to do it or not.

Both the Russian PB Makarov and Sterling SMG used mesh in their suppressor designs.

Many thanks for the pic, opened my eyes a little!
    No idea on the legality & no idea on how effective this Whisper is yet.

No idea on the legality & no idea on how effective this Whisper is yet.
    I'm sure you'll have fun trying to find out.

Hungry little beasts, K22's.

out of interest, in one of the first posts here, someone mentioned the barrels rusting. is that still an issue for anyone?

also, can you buy the whisper without the lightened slide?

might have to trade off my 1022 for one

Quote Originally Posted by bradaz11 View Post
    out of interest, in one of the first posts here, someone mentioned the barrels rusting. is that still an issue for anyone?

also, can you buy the whisper without the lightened slide?

might have to trade off my 1022 for one
    1. Mine hasn't rusted, I wipe mine with a lightly oiled cleaning cloth as a force of habit anyway. No rust anywhere on my K22, had it since January.

2. Yes you can, my whisper has the X-Trim slide.

As I can't bloody leave things alone I had an experiment this evening. I got the idea from U.S. forum shooters.

The integrated moderator on the K22 does not use baffles, just a simple expansion chamber. I thought that the space here was wasted so I decided to try something that would act as a baffle/baffles in order to further slow down and disperse the gases in said chamber in order to reduce the report of the gun.

I bought some stainless steel scourers from Morrisons (namely as copper ones are non existant here it seems), its VERY important to use the type that are of the flat twisted ribbon material as this surface area is what's needed to slow down and disperse the gases, and it must be stainless in order to cope with the heat from the gases. Wire wool is a big no-no, not only does it not provide sufficent surface area as a material, wire wool is also flammable! (Try setting fire to a brillo pad, they burn, quickly too!).

http://groceries.morrisons.com/websh...2187_SHELFVIEW

I then took off the shroud end cap of my Whisper and filled the small end cavity/expansion chamber that can be seen in the pic below (just visualise it with the shroud on to get an idea of the expansion chamber). I packed the material quite tightly, but not solid as some give was required for the expanding gases, and to let the pressure drop off after firing. I left the spring out when I reasembled the gun as the packing material filled the void of the expansion chamber enough to ensure that the washer that creates the rear of said chamber would be snug and not move.

After checking, double checking then triple checking that absolutely no strands of the stainless scourer material were poking through any of the gas ports into the bore (as obviously this wouldn't do the pistol any good at all), I reassembled the K22, went down the range, and test fired using Fiocchi High Velocity (same as CCI Mini Mag).

The results were better than I expected, VERY noticeable drop in noise, and the gun functioned flawlessly. The stainless packing material was completely unscorched even with some semi rapid fire, and it did the job wonderfully. At 75p it's also cheap to replace and the three pads in the pack would last months.

I'm not sure if this will work with the newer Whispers as they have no liner, washer or spring to create an expansion chamber as seen in Airbrush'es pic, rather the entirety of the inside of the shrould would work as the expansion chamber on new Whispers. It might work, but as mine is the older version I don't know for sure.

Very bloody impressed, damn thing sounded like a Co2 pistol

Only negative is that my groups opened up to 2-3 inches at 25 yds, but I was too busy enjoying myself.
    Last edited by Hairydavey; 19-09-2014 at 12:37 AM.

Sticking Mags

Hi just an update/enquiry

Still shooting and loving my K22 that I brought at the British Shooting Show last February.
    When I got the Firearm it came with two of the newer type Mag's, that I have heard people complaining about.
    I have not had any problem with these till recently.
    Lately the Mag's don't load the rounds consistently, the rounds are occasionally getting stuck in the Magazine.
    I don't overload the Mag usually only loading with five rounds each time (CCI Mini Mag).
    I have tried spraying Brunox into the Mag & giving them a good wipe down but it doesn't seem to have cured the problem.
    It feels like the carbon from shooting is sticking the Magazine slider & the spring cant push the next round fully up?
    The only other thing I can think of is to completely disassemble the Mag, clean it again & see if that helps?
    Luckily when I brought the Firearm I also brought an extended Mag with one of the old type of Mag's fitted, I have not used this yet.
    Caledonia Classic Arms says on there Website that the K22 has a "New" Mag available, but is this the same as I already have?
    Are the old Mag's still available to buy?

Stuart

Hi Stuart

Do the rounds strip cleanly from the mags, it seems odd that BOTH mags have developed the same problem at the same time, a close up piccie of an empty mag and the same one with rounds in it might help us,

I would be very wary how you approach cleaning the mag shoulder, they are plakkie and it wont take much to make them a few thou oversize and the round will just pop out!

That said the mags are under a year old and if it were me I would just get them both replaced!!

ATB

http://lbp-forum.boards.net/

RR