Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anvil Conversions 1858 nitro conversion - new Youtube vids

Anvil Conversions 1858 nitro conversion - new Youtube vids

Hi folks

I've had one of these lovely conversions for a month and I've now posted several Youtube vids showing the loading, firing and cleaning sequences.
    Might be useful if you're thinking of getting one.

All the vids are here : http://www.youtube.com/user/Precisio...?feature=watch

I have both a black powder and nitro 1858's and I honestly can't see the bp one getting much use. 20 second wipe with Brunox to clean certainly beats a boiling kettle...

My opinion - if you cast your own ball (as I do) then it's a cheap way to enjoy shooting a "normal" pistol. Reloading only takes a minute and you're not faffing about with fillers, wads or lube. No more dirty to shoot than any cartridge revolver.

Cheers!
    PaulM
    NSRA and NRA qualified RCO.

Quote Originally Posted by arsefactor View Post
    Hi folks

I've had one of these lovely conversions for a month and I've now posted several Youtube vids showing the loading, firing and cleaning sequences.

I have both a black powder and nitro 1858's and I honestly can't see the bp one getting much use. 20 second wipe with Brunox to clean certainly beats a boiling kettle...

My opinion - if you cast your own ball (as I do) then it's a cheap way to enjoy shooting a "normal" pistol. Reloading only takes a minute and you're not faffing about with fillers, wads or lube. No more dirty to shoot than any cartridge revolver.

Cheers!
    PaulM

Excellent set of videos!! I am now a subscriber.

Best

tac

Hi Tac

Thanks, I just thought putting UK specific videos would help someone.

I will get more videos added as time allows.

cheers!

does look good
    ballkeeper

I'm in the queue for an Alan Westlake .357 match grade nitro jobbie as well.

Now that will be an interesting comparison. Might be ready around Easter ...

I saw these at the phoenix meeting, certainly made me stop and have a look !

markreid is offline Happy to be fishing and shooting
    Nice video's, emailed company to find out more info and ordering procedures. I like the idea of less cleaning, like my black powder Rogers and spencer but hate the amount of cleaning
    There is no such thing as a dangerous gun, there are dangeruous people though

It's proving popular with our club members too.
    I prefer the more dramatic black powder experience but just can't be arsed with the hour long strip and cleanq afterwards.

boff180 Guest
    Cracking set of videos, I happen to be picking up one of Derek's lovelies at the weekend.

Quick question for those that already own one.

I'm stocking up on consumables tomorrow ready to shoot it Monday, which Alox do you use, is Lee Liquid Alox fine?

Ta

Andy

markreid is offline Happy to be fishing and shooting
    Ordered one from Derek the other week, so on the waiting list hopefully not to long, let's us know how you get on with your revolver when you pick it up

atb

mark
    There is no such thing as a dangerous gun, there are dangeruous people though

Hi

Our club is now going to buy one for the members to use

Yep, just Lee liquid alox for lube, nothing else.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by arsefactor View Post
    Hi folks

Cheers!
    PaulM
    Great video, thanks. Good info and an excellent alternative to BP & Pyrodex, especially the cleaning aspect!
    Gordon H

If you shoot off a rest how accurate are the Anvil Conversions at 25m ?

I appreciate it has original sights and its still a muzzle loader, but it would be interesting to know how well they shoot when you remove some of the variables.

I saw them at the shooting show yesterday and I'm very tempted to replace my ruger old army. The idea of cleaning it at my own leisure (or not at all for months !) is very appealing, and the loading process seems a lot less fuss than a traditional muzzle loader.

I used one of these owned by a club member last week very very nice. I am definately considering one for a future purchase, a ml pistol without the cleaning and grease has got to be a good bet.
    Last edited by neutron_bomb; 08-09-2014 at 10:26 AM. Reason: spelling

Update ;

I've now had mine for nearly a year and it's had over 1,000 rounds through it.

It's working perfectly, has never jammed and is more accurate than I am. What's not to like!

My standard load is .471 ball, I cast these myself and lube with Alox. Using the standard load of Blue Dot from the supplied dispenser with Remingon 209 primers. On a good day I can hold a 3" group at 22 yards ... on a good day ...
    Every bit as accurate as a BP version. Less dramatic to shoot, much easier to clean.

Cheers!
    Paul M.