Thread: Crosman 2240 Hammer

Crosman 2240 Hammer

Hi chaps,

Not saying I'll definitely have a play with this, but has anyone out there had a play with the hammers on these things?

I know some will play with balancing the valve and hammer springs.

I see that there's a "de-bouncer" device, too.

Just wondering though if anyone's had a play with hammer weights? Would slightly lighter be better? As in quicker hammer acceleration, but then would you get more hammer bounce? Slower hammer = lazier feel, but maybe less hammer bounce?

Worth de-burring and polishing the hammer? And the tube?

I love these awesome little things as they are, just wondering what you guys have played with on them, hammer wise?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I just give my hammers a polish. Valves I leave alone same with the hammer spring. Not worth messing with here in the UK.

In my latest ones I have the P-Rod grip frame so have to have a modded hammer anyway with the sear being different. To me that grip frame is the best mod to do on a ratty. Closely followed by a metal breech.

Cheers for that, Droidy.

Wasn't thinking of messing with springs etc., and had a quick glance at the P-Rod frames; they look interesting!

Loving your website, by the way!

And that Geordie 2260 looks BEAUTIFUL!!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Cheers for that, Droidy.

Wasn't thinking of messing with springs etc., and had a quick glance at the P-Rod frames; they look interesting!

Loving your website, by the way!

And that Geordie 2260 looks BEAUTIFUL!!
    Cheers, the P-Rod grip assembly is £50 from GMAC. Best money you could spend on a ratty, the hammer mod is dead easy too you just JB weld the groove.

Yes the Geordie stocked 2260 turned out nice but then again Geordie is quite the craftsman, I just sent him the action and said make me a stock, you pick the style. It's now sold on to a pal who will appreciate it.

I get bored when they are finished so I tend to sell them then make another.

Only gun I will keep is the Stace dreamgun.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Hi chaps,

Not saying I'll definitely have a play with this, but has anyone out there had a play with the hammers on these things?

I know some will play with balancing the valve and hammer springs.

I see that there's a "de-bouncer" device, too.

Just wondering though if anyone's had a play with hammer weights? Would slightly lighter be better? As in quicker hammer acceleration, but then would you get more hammer bounce? Slower hammer = lazier feel, but maybe less hammer bounce?

Worth de-burring and polishing the hammer? And the tube?

I love these awesome little things as they are, just wondering what you guys have played with on them, hammer wise?
    FWIR the hammer itself is very hard, so without serious tools making holes in it is not an option...
    Deburring the tube is obviously a good idea, and I always give the hammer a little polish and a little smear of moly too - Perhaps a heavier dose of moly would help with bounce/vibration?
    To me the crosman hammer setup behaves almost like a small springer, so whatever conclusion people have drawn as regards piston bounce with heavier/lighter pistons may well apply to the hammer and valve setup in a crosman 22xx. General wisdom regarding PCP valves would probably apply too.
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    FWIR the hammer itself is very hard, so without serious tools making holes in it is not an option...
    Deburring the tube is obviously a good idea, and I always give the hammer a little polish and a little smear of moly too - Perhaps a heavier dose of moly would help with bounce/vibration?
    To me the crosman hammer setup behaves almost like a small springer, so whatever conclusion people have drawn as regards piston bounce with heavier/lighter pistons may well apply to the hammer and valve setup in a crosman 22xx. General wisdom regarding PCP valves would probably apply too.
    Cheers for that.
    Will have a play at some point.
    I see that there are one or two commercially available hammer springs with fitted guides kits and I'd guess that these are pretty good. Anyone used them? Is the spring the same length as standard? So, will the collar depth of the guide then add a little more preload?

We could have a really posh spring with front AND rear guides!

De-burring / polishing hammer and tube will be done on next little play.

P.S. The new Ratty which I got on Sunday really put a smile on my face for its pure simplicity and fun factor...The carbined one, once you fit optics, is more fiddly to load, especially with the longer probe....On the standard one, you can just about lob the pellets in there, nice and easy and quick!!

And the sights were bang on too, straight out of the box!