Thread: Perfect Barrel - Proof of "leading in" after cleaning ??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Also how often you use your rifles may have some bearing on the matter, I am retired so i can have a play with all my rifles at will but if i was going to store them for any length of time i may well think about leaving the barrels lubricated.
    The amount of money i have spent on my collection its rude not keep shooting them, Much to the other halfs chagrin!

Quote Originally Posted by iceni1 View Post
    Also how often you use your rifles may have some bearing on the matter, I am retired so i can have a play with all my rifles at will but if i was going to store them for any length of time i may well think about leaving the barrels lubricated.
    The amount of money i have spent on my collection its rude not keep shooting them, Much to the other halfs chagrin!
    In December I took a rifle and pistols out of storage in South Africa that have not been touched for 8 years.I lubed the barrels when I put them away.I was amazed how hard the lube had set, and I could not remove it with a phosphor bronze brush, it was absolutely rock hard. The rifle would not chamber rounds and I had to use a chamber reamer to clear it.

Baz

Results

Well the intensly cleaned barrel has settled down now, I would estimate it took around 100 pellets but is now s**t hot, managed an hour this afternoon and even in a variable breeze (shot prone, as low as possible to try to negate) its producing a single ragged hole at 45 yards

Several checks over the chrono using Express (at the muzzle, not had chance to check it down range) revealed a very consistant 810ft/s with around 5-6 ft/s spread

The question is was it worth it, well I would say that my usual regime of a couple of shoot through VFG's after every use is probably enough but it may well be worth a deep clean every now and then, maybe at each service - for me that would mean once a month as I always seem to have my guns in bits

I still intend getting a barrel to polish/lap to a mirror finish - anyone got a Steyr barrel they want to sell
    ..."My son," said the Norman Baron...."The Saxon is not like us Normans. His manners are not so polite. But he never means anything serious till he talks about justice and right"...