Thread: Perfect Barrel - Proof of "leading in" after cleaning ??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Perfect Barrel - Proof of "leading in" after cleaning ??

So I have been messing with barrels, what i want to try to do is make a mediocre barrel into one of those hard to find "keepers".

The plan longer term is to get a polygonal barrel for one of my rifles and polish it to a mirror finish, i just think Poly barrels will be easier to deal with - I believe Cardew and Whiscombe both found true rifling (cut or button) was just too much for air rifles and that just scratches were enough to provide adequate rotation, probably why FX have gone the "smooth bore with a tad of poly" at the end route.

Anyway, I digress, the first step was to get a full VFG cleaning kit, rod, intense & normal felts, cleaning compound and Lupus grease, I will be using this to eventually polish a barrel.

So I have a recently aquired used rifle that is quite accurate but not sure of its history, I can see the barrel is dirty, to the naked eye it looks like the lands are shiney but the grooves are grey (lead) coloured. Over the chrony its doing 795ft/s avereage with a spread over 30 shots of around 8ft/s so not to bad.

So just got the kit so had to go and play for an hour, instructions for use of the kit are sketchy so I freestyled somewhat, cleaned with the gun assembled.

- put 3 intensive felts through and they went from very dirty dark grey to dirty
    - then 3 intensives with cleaning compound on, these went from very black to just black
    - so then tried 10 normal felts with cleaning compound on and these went from very very black to black
    - then tried 3 normal felts with Lupus on thes went from grey to slightly grey
    - finally 3 dry felts these went from grey to clean

Looking down the barrel it now appeared mirror clean

So thought I would have a look at the Chrony:

- first 10 shots were 740 to 745ft/s
    - next 20 shots steadily climbed to 770ft/s
    - next 30 shots slowly climbed to 780ft/s and levelled out

One thing I did notice is that the grey fouling was visible to the naked eye very quickly, the shiny mirror finish was gone within the first 10 shots

Not sure if the mirror bit is good or the grey bit is good, it may be mirror finish is not ideal on rifled barrels, but may be in a Poly - if you see what i mean?

So the cleaning has definately had an effect, not sure about accuracy, will have a play the weekend

Has anyone else "played" with intensive cleaning?

I will report back
    Last edited by Lol Moore; 15-01-2014 at 11:33 PM.
    ..."My son," said the Norman Baron...."The Saxon is not like us Normans. His manners are not so polite. But he never means anything serious till he talks about justice and right"...

Charlts is offline I'm not the Messiah, I'm King of the Creedbros!
    Leicester, Wigston, 171.27 miles North of Calais!
    Yep, it cost me £150 for a new barrel.
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlts View Post
    Same here and 30 quid for a re-crown. This was for a very early model Steyr.

Mind you my cleaning regime was pretty intensive with many pull throughs after every shoot and using the VFG kit once a month. Now i only pull through once a month and will only use the VFG once a year.

The VFG routine i got with my kit (although cannot find the doc anymore) was to use the intense cleaning felts and blue paste, concentrating mostly on the first 20 cm of the barrel (breech end), use pull throughs until clean. Then to use a normal felt covered in lupus grease and very, very slowly draw it through the barrel, leave for 30 mins and then remove with pull throughs.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Do you not find some pellets are dirtier than others, I have only ever used Crossman and Accupells as i find them a hard alloy as opposed to JSBs.
    To be honest i haver never cleaned a air gun barrel in 55 years of shooting, All my fire arms yes to get rid of the corrosive materiels.
    For a test just fired one of those felt pellets thru my Panther and it is as clean as a whistle, Shot count on this barrel is over 25k

Quote Originally Posted by iceni1 View Post
    Do you not find some pellets are dirtier than others, I have only ever used Crossman and Accupells as i find them a hard alloy as opposed to JSBs.
    To be honest i haver never cleaned a air gun barrel in 55 years of shooting, All my fire arms yes to get rid of the corrosive materiels.
    For a test just fired one of those felt pellets thru my Panther and it is as clean as a whistle, Shot count on this barrel is over 25k
    Interestingly I have found with the shoot through felts that the longer you leave it between cleans the cleaner the felts look when used

It could be that as the deposits are begining to be laid down the felts can take them off, but as the deposits become "established" the felts struggle.

I am wondering if after 25K shots you have very little rifling grooves left, they may be full of lead and you are shooting a Poly barrel
    ..."My son," said the Norman Baron...."The Saxon is not like us Normans. His manners are not so polite. But he never means anything serious till he talks about justice and right"...

Quote Originally Posted by Lol Moore View Post
    Interestingly I have found with the shoot through felts that the longer you leave it between cleans the cleaner the felts look when used

It could be that as the deposits are begining to be laid down the felts can take them off, but as the deposits become "established" the felts struggle.

I am wondering if after 25K shots you have very little rifling grooves left, they may be full of lead and you are shooting a Poly barrel
    The pellets are far to soft to wear the barrel, Unlike some of the jacketed bullets you use in some firearms.
    For instance pull any car engine down even after 100k miles and you will see the Honing marks in the bottom of the bore were the Rings do not travel but the alloy pistons do.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlts View Post
    That remark made me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Lol Moore View Post
    So I have been messing with barrels, what i want to try to do is make a mediocre barrel into one of those hard to find "keepers".

The plan longer term is to get a polygonal barrel for one of my rifles and polish it to a mirror finish, i just think Poly barrels will be easier to deal with - I believe Cardew and Whiscombe both found true rifling (cut or button) was just too much for air rifles and that just scratches were enough to provide adequate rotation, probably why FX have gone the "smooth bore with a tad of poly" at the end route.

Anyway, I digress, the first step was to get a full VFG cleaning kit, rod, intense & normal felts, cleaning compound and Lupus grease, I will be using this to eventually polish a barrel.

So I have a recently aquired used rifle that is quite accurate but not sure of its history, I can see the barrel is dirty, to the naked eye it looks like the lands are shiney but the grooves are grey (lead) coloured. Over the chrony its doing 795ft/s avereage with a spread over 30 shots of around 8ft/s so not to bad.

So just got the kit so had to go and play for an hour, instructions for use of the kit are sketchy so I freestyled somewhat, cleaned with the gun assembled.

- put 3 intensive felts through and they went from very dirty dark grey to dirty
    - then 3 intensives with cleaning compound on, these went from very black to just black
    - so then tried 10 normal felts with cleaning compound on and these went from very very black to black
    - then tried 3 normal felts with Lupus on thes went from grey to slightly grey
    - finally 3 dry felts these went from grey to clean

Looking down the barrel it now appeared mirror clean

So thought I would have a look at the Chrony:

- first 10 shots were 740 to 745ft/s
    - next 20 shots steadily climbed to 770ft/s
    - next 30 shots slowly climbed to 780ft/s and levelled out

One thing I did notice is that the grey fouling was visible to the naked eye very quickly, the shiny mirror finish was gone within the first 10 shots

Not sure if the mirror bit is good or the grey bit is good, it may be mirror finish is not ideal on rifled barrels, but may be in a Poly - if you see what i mean?

So the cleaning has definately had an effect, not sure about accuracy, will have a play the weekend

Has anyone else "played" with intensive cleaning?

I will report back
    Many thanks for the report, saved me a load of trouble i think, Was going to jump on the "need my barrel mirror finished" Band-wagon.
    1 Rapid+sentinal n/v, 1 HW100+ Mamba lite

Mercury

To really clean all the lead out of your barrel make a rubber or cork plug for both ends, pour in a little mercury and rock it back and forth.If you have enough mercury to fill the barrel just let it stand for a while.Lead will dissolve into an amalgam and just pour out.This is the best way without scrubbing at the barrel and causing any damage.Both of these items are toxic so wear gloves, and be careful the mercury does not leak and run all over the place.This is a well known method used by us old gunsmiths.

Baz

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    To really clean all the lead out of your barrel make a rubber or cork plug for both ends, pour in a little mercury and rock it back and forth.If you have enough mercury to fill the barrel just let it stand for a while.Lead will dissolve into an amalgam and just pour out.This is the best way without scrubbing at the barrel and causing any damage.Both of these items are toxic so wear gloves, and be careful the mercury does not leak and run all over the place.This is a well known method used by us old gunsmiths.

Baz
    Think I'll skip the mad hatters tea party.

Quote Originally Posted by Logunner View Post
    Think I'll skip the mad hatters tea party.
    Think that there a lot of people around today who have little experience.This can be expected in a very restrictive society.I owned 120 firearms when I lived overseas and spent 20 years repairing almost every type of pistol and a lot of rifles.If you google "mercury to clean lead from gun barrel" you will see it is a common practice. When I was at school as a boy we were always playing around with mercury, and here I am 67, fit, and still messing around with it, no problem.Your comment tells me a lot about you.

Baz

H&S

Think that there a lot of people around today who have little experience.This can be expected in a very restrictive society.I owned 120 firearms when I lived overseas and spent 20 years repairing almost every type of pistol and a lot of rifles.If you google "mercury to clean lead from gun barrel" you will see it is a common practice. When I was at school as a boy we were always playing around with mercury, and here I am 67, fit, and still messing around with it, no problem.Your comment tells me a lot about you.

Baz
    Baz

I am NOT a fan of the crazy levels that Health & Safety edicts have reached in this country, I am a great believer in personal responsibilty for yours and others H&S, 35 years working all over the world in some very dangerous working environments in some very dangerous countries and I have all the bits I started with and they are all working, usually I was soley responsible for my H&S as the places had no policy....however.

I can see why people would be a little bit wary of using Mercury it is quite nasty (and difficult to get hold of because of that) reference to mad hatters being a good example of the prolonged effect, I suppose you have no discernable effect from it because you will have had very little contact to it cleaning the odd barrel cold.

All I would say is if you can avoid using something potentially damaging to you and possibly others then do so, use an alternative fella

Anyway back to the barrel

It has definately settled down, I would say after the deep clean it took 40 to 60 shots to settle, now its sweet as.

Would I recommend deep cleaning, yes I would but I dont have a handle on how often yet, there will be a happy medium of running maintenance and this proper service but I am not sure where those timings are yet

I tend to shoot a couple of VFG felts through after every shoot, but I think a pull through may be better as one of the issues is the condensation from a shot causing rust, a pull through wouldn't do this

One thing I did do today was make a bush for the VFG cleaning rod (from PTFE for that slickness ) following from the comments about protecting the crown at all costs, the bush is a snug fit on the barrel end and the rod, thus keeping the rod away from the muzzle end of the barrel, the other end of the rod holds the felt so in theory the rod shouldn't touch the barrel.

Added pics to the album:

https://plus.google.com/photos/11776...74993258500913

More work to do
    Last edited by Lol Moore; 21-01-2014 at 11:38 PM.

Sorry if I upset you I apologise.I suppose I am a "mad hatter"as you called me, had a very interesting life which I have enjoyed doing some risky things. If I was young I would join the South African Police (if they would have me!).On this forum we should not be so aggressive and use bad language as it gives a bad impression of the shooting community especially to those who would like to ban our sport.

Baz

Baz
    Hoppes No9 or Youngs 303 bore cleaners will be a lot safer than useing mercury.