Thread: Walther LP52

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Just by accident, looking at Predom's - I came across this bastard off-spring as well....scroll down to 4th gun
    http://www.vintagebbguns.com/european.html

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Just by accident, looking at Predom's - I came across this bastard off-spring as well....scroll down to 4th gun
    Long thread about that on the AVA here.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Interestingly the vendor says it's an early gun, whereas other sources say that stamped model designations are a later thing.

Very interesting thread Danny and very interesting gun.

I just wonder.

Perhaps the 53/52 issue is related to the way the model designation was created (machined apparently).

Perhaps all it took was operator error one dozy Monday morning to set up the machinery to engrave "52" rather than "53". The LG52 is no myth, the error must have been easy to make at the time, 52, 53, etc etc.

Till the mistake was noted by the operator, who mentioned this accident to no-one for obvious reasons, so a handful of guns were mismarked and got through Walther's gates and out onto the shelves.

Would explain why Walther deny the existence of the 52, (why would they otherwise?) and why there are so few of these known about, Danny's is the first I have seen, yet "no smoke without fire" the fact that the "52" has had previous mention indicates that there may be something behind the myth, it was not just dreamt up.

I don't see why anyone would want to fake a 52 it's not like its value is going to change anyone's life or even be worth the extraordinary effort.

If the above is correct (though I admit it is impossible to prove, only to speculate) then the gun may well not be a "52" as we imagine it to be, but it's augmented value will be of a similar sort to that accorded to collectible postage stamps that have been printed with errors, some of which are exceedingly costly!
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

I know....send it to Fiona Bruce on Fake or Fortune it'll make a change from old dodgy old masters and you can pinch her bum

Just get over it

Bloody pistols taking up all the thread

Who cares if it's a 51, 56, 58 or whatever, it's still just a pistol

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Well, after all pistols are more interesting. Their curves and texture and the fact that they can be controlled with one hand makes them a man thing. For some, rifles are probably just a substitute for a small endowment.

Remember - a thread is like a drawing pin. If you can't see the point then perhaps it's best to sit somewhere else.
    Last edited by ccdjg; 20-01-2014 at 08:10 AM.

...and ideally suited to a man with no fence

...and ideally suited to a man with no fence

NOOOOO, I don't mind J. G. mentioning my 'small endowment' but the fence is just too personal

That was my Berlin wall, that was

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Well, after all pistols are more interesting. Their curves and texture and the fact that they can be controlled with one hand makes them a man thing. For some, rifles are probably just a substitute for a small endowment.

Remember - a thread is like a drawing pin. If you can't see the point then perhaps it's best to sit somewhere else.

And what would you know about pistols, John?

Hiding under the stairs now

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
    Interestingly the vendor says it's an early gun, whereas other sources say that stamped model designations are a later thing.

Very interesting thread Danny and very interesting gun.

I just wonder.

Perhaps the 53/52 issue is related to the way the model designation was created (machined apparently).

Perhaps all it took was operator error one dozy Monday morning to set up the machinery to engrave "52" rather than "53". The LG52 is no myth, the error must have been easy to make at the time, 52, 53, etc etc.

Till the mistake was noted by the operator, who mentioned this accident to no-one for obvious reasons, so a handful of guns were mismarked and got through Walther's gates and out onto the shelves.

Would explain why Walther deny the existence of the 52, (why would they otherwise?) and why there are so few of these known about, Danny's is the first I have seen, yet "no smoke without fire" the fact that the "52" has had previous mention indicates that there may be something behind the myth, it was not just dreamt up.

I don't see why anyone would want to fake a 52 it's not like its value is going to change anyone's life or even be worth the extraordinary effort.

If the above is correct (though I admit it is impossible to prove, only to speculate) then the gun may well not be a "52" as we imagine it to be, but it's augmented value will be of a similar sort to that accorded to collectible postage stamps that have been printed with errors, some of which are exceedingly costly!
    This seems the likeliest scenario to me!
    Good deals with these members

very interesting thread,have i missed a post or is this the only 52 proven by it's presence?.this is what makes this section so interesting but i think you need to call Sherlock in to solve this mystery.good luck with your pistol. atb