Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .22 Air Pistol 6 Yard MPL Postal Competition.

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

thats exactly what i found , after the leap you think well that could have gone anywhere,but was very pleased to find they had found their way into the black.of the 4 hurricanes and two tempests i have ,no two seem to have the same feel as you edge off the release ;a challenge in itself but well worth the time and effort to learn. im up to the 30s plus with odd flyers to keep me honest,if a newbie l/h can do it anythings possible.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    I have just completed the last of my cards for the .22 6 yard MPL postal series.

The cards were shot with my Grey Plastic Grip Original Model 5 ( April 1966) following the fitting of a new end cap and a set of the correct type of sights and I used Hobby pellets.

I did take a few shots with an old .22 Hurricane after I had shot with the Model 5 and I was very surprised at how good it was. The trigger did not feel that good to be honest but I let the pistol jump around after I had released the shot and to my surprise all the shots were inside the black.
    ........I'm not suggesting any of the other shots would be in the black - I quit while I was ahead
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Hey Bob, If I'm in time - can I have an entry in the .22 class please?

I can pay by bank trans, like I did for the .177 class.

Would that be the same £26.50 inc another 100 practice cards and the delivery?

I'd like to give you guys some competition, with my trusty Tempest!

ATB - Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Hey Bob, If I'm in time - can I have an entry in the .22 class please?

I can pay by bank trans, like I did for the .177 class.

Would that be the same £26.50 inc another 100 practice cards and the delivery?

I'd like to give you guys some competition, with my trusty Tempest!

ATB - Phil
    Hi Phil,

You are more than welcome to join us in the .22 class - we need all the support we can get

It is never too late to join in the 6 yard MPL series - and you are not really that late so there will be very little catching-up needed.

I will get another entry pack prepared for you and another 100 spare targets and send them to you by "next day" carrier as last time.

Thanks for your support.

Hi Phil,

You are more than welcome to join us in the .22 class - we need all the support we can get

It is never too late to join in the 6 yard MPL series - and you are not really that late so there will be very little catching-up needed.

I will get another entry pack prepared for you and another 100 spare targets and send them to you by "next day" carrier as last time.

Thanks for your support.
    Thank you for all your help, Bob

Sent you a PM.

Looking forward to it - Phil

Thank you for all your help, Bob

Sent you a PM.

Looking forward to it - Phil
    Your .22 entry pack and spare targets have gone out with Interlink today.

Your .22 entry pack and spare targets have gone out with Interlink today.
    Received today with thanks Bob

And thanks for the extra comp' stickers!

Received today with thanks Bob

And thanks for the extra comp' stickers!

No problem - only too pleased to help.

ATB - Bob.

Well I have just come back in from my cold garage having shot my six February 2014 .22 MPL cards.

One of my first cards was the best group I have ever achieved with my old grey plastic stocked .22 Original Model 5 (that was manufactured in April 1966) and my lowest score included a complete miss

Overall though I am quite pleased with my nights work and think the .22 competition is by far the hardest to score consistently well in.

For a start the choice of .22 air pistols that comply with the MPL rules is very restricted. Once the .22 Original Model 5 and the various .22 Webley springers are taken out of the mix - what else is there to choose from?

Likewise the choice of wadcutter pellet is either the .22 Hobby or the .22 Crossman Match - anybody know of any others?

This narrow choice does of course make the .22 competition a very level playing field . No recoilless .22 single shot springers exist and nobody has found or used a .22 SSP air pistol yet either.

Back to basics in the .22 6 yard MPL postal series then - what a pleasant change - no chance of "buying a result" with a posh (read expensive) pistol.

This competition is still open for anyone to join us - never too late to find out what you have been missing
    Last edited by zooma; 11-02-2014 at 07:56 AM.

In the way of a 'bump' for interest in the .22 MPL competition - but I do have a question for the kindly organisers:

I think I need to put my .22 Tempest on the substitute's bench.

I would stick with it, but during the Feb match cards it stopped deiseling, which you may think sounds 'good', but it is actually 'bad', because it now has very little power... not enough to put clean holes in the match cards. And it's become (even more of) a mare to shoot.

Am I right in thinking I can use a different pistol for March etc?

And is a Webley Nemesis (SSP) in .22 an eligible pistol for the comp?

I think it is, and I hope it is, as I've bought one (awaiting delivery).

TIA - Phil

In the way of a 'bump' for interest in the .22 MPL competition - but I do have a question for the kindly organisers:

I think I need to put my .22 Tempest on the substitute's bench.

I would stick with it, but during the Feb match cards it stopped deiseling, which you may think sounds 'good', but it is actually 'bad', because it now has very little power... not enough to put clean holes in the match cards. And it's become (even more of) a mare to shoot.

Am I right in thinking I can use a different pistol for March etc?

And is a Webley Nemesis (SSP) in .22 an eligible pistol for the comp?

I think it is, and I hope it is, as I've bought one (awaiting delivery).

TIA - Phil
    No problem with Nemesis Phil.

All spring powered and SSP air pistols are legal for use in the MPL.

I was wondering when somebody would come up with a recoilless .22 and I thought the first one would be an Alecto but it is an older member of the Webley family that will be the first to take that honour!

Once the Nemesis is in action you may like to take a peek inside the Tempest to see if it needs new seals..or even a spring perhaps?

Then you will have a nice choice of .22 MPL pistols at your disposal.
    Last edited by zooma; 11-03-2014 at 09:25 AM.

No problem with Nemesis Phil.

All spring powered and SSP air pistols are legal for use in the MPL.

I was wondering when somebody would come up with a recoilless .22 and I thought the first one would be an Alecto but it is an older member of the Webley family that will be the first to take that honour!

Once the Nemesis is in action you make like to take a peek inside the Tempest to see if it needs new seals..or even a spring perhaps?

Then you will have a nice choice of .22 MPL pistols at your disposal.
    Nice one, thank you Bob (I always seem to be thanking you for one reason or another! )

I'm quite excited, waiting for the Nemesis to arrive! (well, two Nemesis to be precise - a boy & a girl - if the .22 goes wrong, I guess I can transplant the .22 barrel on to the .177).

I remember when the Nemesis came out, and I've pretty much ignored them until now. I did have the odd few shots with them 'back in the day', and I remember they felt quite weighty & solid...

Here's another option for a .22 'MPL friendly' recoilless pistol - Weihrauch HW40 PCA! A quick bit of research, and yes, they do make them in .22 ... not my favorite airpistol, as I find the grip 'slippy', and I don't like the fibre optic sights for match cards (although they're great for dark backgrounds).

One concern with these .22 SSPs is will they have the FPS to cut clean wads out of match cards... if not, I'll be wishing I bought a .22 Alectro

Finally - yes Bob, I will be hoping to take the Tempest to bits (and buy it some wood grips - if I get it shooting straight). But it will take me a while to get around to it, as there are at least 4 other guns that need fixing or fettling in time for summer, and I'm not getting on with them either at present!

ATB, and good shooting - Phil

Break Barrel .22 Typhoon.

I was offerred a .22 Webley Typhoon on Saturday - it is the (mostly plastic) Turkish made break barrel type that is claimed to be "semi-recoiless". It looks like a cheaply made air pistol that comes with a plastic barrel extension cocking aid and when it is fitted the size of it reminds me of a BSA Scorpion that I had when they first came out.

Although the pistol looks very long it does not weigh much and so it may be a little easier to hold and shoot than the Scorpion.

The asking price seemed reasonable and it is a .22 pistol that I had never seen before and so I thought it may be worth a go to se how it performs as an MPL pistol.

I have not shot it yet as it has a broken rear sight, but I have ordered a new replacement from Chambers so I hope it will be here later this week so I can fit it and see if the pistol works for me at 6 yards.

Has anyone else had a go with this type of pistol?

I was offerred a .22 Webley Typhoon on Saturday - it is the (mostly plastic) Turkish made break barrel type that is claimed to be "semi-recoiless". It looks like a cheaply made air pistol that comes with a plastic barrel extension cocking aid and when it is fitted the size of it reminds me of a BSA Scorpion that I had when they first came out.
    'Semi recoiless' ? How would a .177 version be scored in the 10m M.P.L.? 6 extra points in stead of 12?
    I had a go with one of these when they first came out and even I couldn't manage to cock it. The soon brought them out with a cocking aid!

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    'Semi recoiless' ? How would a .177 version be scored in the 10m M.P.L.? 6 extra points in stead of 12?
    I had a go with one of these when they first came out and even I couldn't manage to cock it. The soon brought them out with a cocking aid!

ATB
    Ian
    Ha - good point - tiz only claimed to be semi-recoilless so maybe it should only get a semi-bonus as you suggest!

As soon as my new complete plastic rear sight unit arrives ( it cost over 8 quid!) we can both have a go with it and reach a verdict.

Looking at it I doubt very much if it is recoilless - although the grip does wobble about a bit so maybe that is what they mean

Can you remember shooting it.........or did the Webley pistol rash come out on you to prevent any actual shooting?