Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .22 Air Pistol 6 Yard MPL Postal Competition.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Ha - good point - tiz only claimed to be semi-recoilless so maybe it should only get a semi-bonus as you suggest!

As soon as my new complete plastic rear sight unit arrives ( it cost over 8 quid!) we can both have a go with it and reach a verdict.

Looking at it I doubt very much if it is recoilless - although the grip does wobble about a bit so maybe that is what they mean

Can you remember shooting it.or did the Webley pistol rash come out on you to prevent any actual shooting?
    ' £8 for a Wobbly'!!! Youve been had.

I wore rubber gloves.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    .or did the Webley pistol rash come out on you to prevent any actual shooting?
    Rash?....I. J. just crouches gibbering in the corner now when Wobblies are mentioned; particularly when Hippo outshoots a Steyr with one........yet again
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

The replacement rear sight for the break barrel .22 Typhoon arrived today so it was fitted ( one cross-head screw) and I took it to the club to give it its first shot.

We hit plenty of things, and occasionally the target. Lots of smoke and diesel smells but not a lot of accuracy at 10 meters.

Maybe with a tin of pellets put through it it may settle down and perhaps it will be better at 6 yards - but it is a bit wild at the moment!!

The front sight looks twisted on the barrel so I will see what fixes it on and see if it can be aligned a little bit better as all the shots are across to the left even after all of the rear sight movement to the right has been exhausted.

There is no real evidence that the "semi-recoiless" claim is valid either, so unless it does settle down (unexpectedly well) and the front sight can be aligned better this is not looking like a very good .22 pistol to use in the 6 yard MPL postal competition.

It would be nice to be pleasantly surprised, and if I am then I will widen the rear sight as there is no light on either side of the front sight so it also gives a very poor sight picture.

Somebody told me this new break barrel Typhoon sells for less than £100 new. If that is so then it is a lot of pistol for the money that has the same sort of appeal as the old BSA Scorpion (without the power), but this one is hopeless at target shooting and has no accuracy so far.

........did I mention the long travel and very heavy trigger ?

Has anybody else had any experience with this type of pistol - and if so does it get any better with use?
    Last edited by zooma; 19-03-2014 at 07:47 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

I should mention that I used some of the pellets that were supplied with the pistol for this first shoot with it:-

Webley Accupell .22 (5.5mm).

It states on the tin......."probably the worlds most accurate air gun ammo"

If this claim is correct then the pistol must be the weak link ....however I will have a go with the "inferior" .22 Crosssman Match and .22 Hobby pellets at 6 yards tonight to see if this particular pistol likes either of these any better.

Has anyone had any experience with a break-barrel Webley Typhoon and if so can it shoot with any sort of accuracy?
    Last edited by zooma; 20-03-2014 at 07:57 AM.

Good luck Bob, but from your interesting posts here - it sounds a bloody aweful pistol

Well the Turkish made Tempests turn out to be pretty good once they have bedded down after a few shots so I am hoping this new Turkish made Typhoon will be very similar.

The twisted front sight is a bit annoying but I have not had time yet to see how this assembly is fixed to the barrel but I am hoping I can fix that.

The long trigger travel is probably for keeps, but I may be able to reduce the trigger weight or at least improve the feel so not all is not lost yet and I will try to make it work as a .22 6 yard MPL air pistol.

As I said - this is a lot of pistol for the money and there are shooters and collectors that like BIG size air pistols - so I am sure there will be somebody out there that will really like it.

I would like to find out just how much they sell for when new in the UK as I would have thought it would sell for a similar price to the Tempest - even though it is a much bigger (and heavier) air pistol.

........not sure how long this project is going to take....
    Last edited by zooma; 21-03-2014 at 07:36 AM.

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

hi bob,bought one of these on the strength of the name and found myself quite disappointed;the first point was that as i pulled the trigger i noticed the action moving back on the rail and from then on found the performance of whole package less than i had expected from the webley legend, but to be fair in terms of value for money it wasn't to bad .took it back the following week and did a trade in on a "cometa indian" strange pistol but it was a fair had at the 10mtr mark ,the basic sights being a let down.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

Quote Originally Posted by red bob View Post
    hi bob,bought one of these on the strength of the name and found myself quite disappointed;the first point was that as i pulled the trigger i noticed the action moving back on the rail and from then on found the performance of whole package less than i had expected from the webley legend, but to be fair in terms of value for money it wasn't to bad .took it back the following week and did a trade in on a "cometa indian" strange pistol but it was a fair had at the 10mtr mark ,the basic sights being a let down.
    How much are they new Bob?

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Good luck Bob, but from your interesting posts here - it sounds a bloody aweful pistol

I can confirm it is. Even by Webleys standards they have excelled themselves in its vileness.

ATB
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I can confirm it is. Even by Webleys standards they have excelled themselves in its vileness.

ATB
    Ian
    I have to wonder I.J. - did you ever pinch your fingers in a Webley, or have a different bad experience with one, during your childhood?

Bob - if it helps, this firm are selling the new Typhoon at £69.99: http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/prod...22-air-pistol/

Warning: the above link contains pictures of a brutish looking pistol!

ATB - Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    I have to wonder I.J. - did you ever pinch your fingers in a Webley, or have a different bad experience with one, during your childhood?

Bob - if it helps, this firm are selling the new Typhoon at £69.99: http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/prod...22-air-pistol/

Warning: the above link contains pictures of a brutish looking pistol!

ATB - Phil
    I am pretty sure that it was not IJ's finger that got pinched in a Webley.......and he has been bitter ever since!

For less than £70.00 the .22 Turkish Typhoon must be worth a try.

If any of us can make one work well at 6 yards we would have a real budget priced target shooting air pistol

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    If any of us can make one work well at 6 yards we would have a real budget priced target shooting air pistol
    Have you booked for Fantasy Island yet?
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Quote Originally Posted by mikec4 View Post
    I'm told it's nice there - I might take the Webley with me

Quote Originally Posted by mikec4 View Post
    Im going next month. Ive booked a flight with Celebrity Airlines flying out of Ramsbottom International Airport.
    I'd never heard of 'Celebrity Airlines' before so I asked - "Whoes the celebrities thats flown with you?"

They replied ... "Buddy Holly, Jim Reeves, Glen Miller ...."

ATB
    Ian