Thread: Surprising POI findings

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters

Surprising POI findings

My step dad and i have just been playing with my Makarov and HW45 in the garden. The marsh out the back of his house has plenty of puddles and we've been using them for plinking practice. The one I used to zero the 45 is around 4" across and about 32 yards away, I was getting every shot in the "splash-zone" on full so I thought I'd play with the lower power setting.

Every shot went clear over the top and landed an easy 10ft further on!? the pellets hit with less force, so it had us scratching our heads for a while. I reckon its just the lower recoil doesn't pull the front of the pistol down as far or hard making the pellet strike higher up.

Anyone else found this?

(Once we found the right aim point, the Mak puts around 80% of its shots in the same puddle!)
    God rest ye jelly mental men

They all do that.
    An expert explained why to me but I drifted off.
    Probably what you are saying.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    And a two handed grip lowers it too! I've not seen hold sensitivity like this since Sharon Gordon in the fourth year!!

Finally zero'd it at 15 yards on full power with a loose (third finger pressure) one handed hold and got very good results.

All I need is some paper target practice now..
    God rest ye jelly mental men

I found the same thing with mine tinners..I had read on the net how "half power" was much better for tight groups due to less recoil, but I found to my surprise half power shots went higher and [for me at least] I found it harder to get good groups compared to full power
    TINKERING WITH PASTY POWER

I use my .177 on half power and the .22 on full.
    Always two hands.

You have to re zero for each power setting. Different recoil characteristics at the two power levels. Perfectly normal. ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

The HW45 muzzle flips downwards on firing due the reaction to the piston launching itself towards you.
    When you shoot on half power, the piston accelerates more slowly and so the muzzle flips down less and hence the higher impact point.

Quote Originally Posted by Biker_Bob View Post
    The HW45 muzzle flips downwards on firing due the reaction to the piston launching itself towards you.
    When you shoot on half power, the piston accelerates more slowly and so the muzzle flips down less and hence the higher impact point.
    In very simplified terms the 45 works in reverse of how you would imagine any regular pistol (or air rifle) for the simple reason that the gun actually works in reverse as far as its mechanism is concerned, with the piston flying toward the hand. It has the tendency of bringing with it more problems than any advantage that was initially considered for the idea....at least when switching from full to half cock and vice versa..

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    In very simplified terms the 45 works in reverse of how you would imagine any regular pistol (or air rifle) for the simple reason that the gun actually works in reverse as far as its mechanism is concerned, with the piston flying toward the hand. It has the tendency of bringing with it more problems than any advantage that was initially considered for the idea....at least when switching from full to half cock and vice versa..
    There are differing opinions on the best hold for the HW45 from death grip to fledgling. In your opinion Clarky, with your extensive knowledge of various pistols, and how they're designed, what is your prefered hold and why? Also does the artillery hold not apply to the 45 (as accepted for air guns generally) because of this reverse direction of piston thrust. ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.