Thread: Newbie saying Hello..

Smile Newbie saying Hello..

Hi,
    I'm Steve Ashby, recently back into pistols after a long lay off, I have bought an HW45 Blackstar for a bit of all round useage. I'm pleasantly surprised by how accurate it is after I fitted a Hawke red dot. This was a nod to my age (64) and the fact that I could see the sights or the target but not both, bit of an obstacle but all is well now. Probably not the easiest pistol to shoot repetitively immediately but i wanted a challenge and so far I'm really enjoying it. Last Sunday I grouped 20 shots all 7+ at 10 metres so it's coming along, I bring with me from my previous air rifle/pistol - .38 Python/ Jericho - clay pigeon 12 bore days, an outlook which I find to suit me - Hit a few, miss a few, take the mickey and have a beer. Nice to meet you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashby View Post
    Hi,
    I'm Steve Ashby, recently back into pistols after a long lay off, I have bought an HW45 Blackstar for a bit of all round useage. I'm pleasantly surprised by how accurate it is after I fitted a Hawke red dot. This was a nod to my age (64) and the fact that I could see the sights or the target but not both, bit of an obstacle but all is well now. Probably not the easiest pistol to shoot repetitively immediately but i wanted a challenge and so far I'm really enjoying it. Last Sunday I grouped 20 shots all 7+ at 10 metres so it's coming along, I bring with me from my previous air rifle/pistol - .38 Python/ Jericho - clay pigeon 12 bore days, an outlook which I find to suit me - Hit a few, miss a few, take the mickey and have a beer. Nice to meet you all.
    Welcome to the forum Steve. I too am 64 (In March) and only started shooting again 3 years ago as a distraction from loosing my wife to cancer. Got to admit age brings a few negatives, but we get round them with a positive approach to life. Shooting pistols is a great way to keep up motor skills and concentration. I'm glad to hear you're getting on with the HW45. I'm still struggling with this pistol, so any tips from you are welcome. Your scores at 10 meters are impressive! Looking forward to your input to the forum. ATB. Pete.
    Last edited by peteswright; 21-01-2014 at 07:56 AM.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Hi Steve, and welcome to the forum; both you and Pete are both youngsters, only 64! I was 70 just after Christmas and I'm more keen now with the pistols than when my Dad bought me my first gun back in the late 40s, a Gat, and then a when I could prove to him that I wasn't a complete menace in our back garden back in Harold Park in Essex, the joy of having a Webley Junior. I grew up with that air pistol, wish I still had it now, though I concede that my Alecto is a better gun, it's so very addictive. My Missus thinks I'm totally bonkers, "At your age you shouldn't be running around on motorbikes or playing with guns!"
    I'm sorry to hear that you lost your wife through cancer Pete, my missus went through it back in 2004, fortunately she was diagnosed in time and she is still around today, but I'm sure words cannot explain what you and your family went through. I hope that the shooting can help you regards Dave.
    Last edited by Dave1943; 21-01-2014 at 06:55 PM.
    It's not the destination; but the journey that counts!
    You can take the lad out of Essex; but not Essex out of the lad!

Hw45

Quote Originally Posted by peteswright View Post
    Welcome to the forum Steve. I too am 64 (In March) and only started shooting again 3 years ago as a distraction from loosing my wife to cancer. Got to admit age brings a few negatives, but we get round them with a positive approach to life. Shooting pistols is a great way to keep up motor skills and concentration. I'm glad to hear you're getting on with the HW45. I'm still struggling with this pistol, so any tips from you are welcome. Your scores at 10 meters are impressive! Looking forward to your input to the forum. ATB. Pete.
    Hi Pete and Dave,
    The scores would be impressive if there were 20 shots, typo, make that ten, I take the fifth, I can only shoot this gun two handed, there is one guy I watch who shoots one handed but how I don't know. I find it can take me 1/2 hour + sometimes to warm the gun up and to get my head working properly. For the first ten minutes I'm either right on it or anywhere, I'll leave you to decide which is the more often. A lot of people have said that the grip is paramount with the HW45 but as long as you're consistent in however you hold it the scores should come, it has also been bandied about that it has a "vicious" kick, it seems fine to me, no better or worse than most springers of comparable power.
    Steve A

A very warm welcome to the BBS and our wonderful hobby / sport.

The BBS is a fantastic resource for information and tips. And anything you can contribute is always welcome.

Great banter to be had and an excellent community spirit.

I see you have a 45 and you live at Nuneaton...excellent.....get yourself to the Spring Gun Bash at Mick's (T20 on the forum)....Higham on the Hill. Date to be announced, estimated May/June. It'll be a fantastic opportunity to play with your own gun and many other lovely people's prides and joy. It's a relaxed, informal day, not a competition, and you'll get to meet loads of like-minded enthusiasts.

Hope to see you there. And look forward to seeing your posts on the forum.

All the best,

Tone.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!