Thread: Airguns for collecting specimens

Airguns for collecting specimens

I.J. reminded me of this bit in WHB Smith's encyclopedia when he mentioned using dust shot for collecting specimens of birds, in the shotgun thread yesterday. According to Smith, quoting a zoologist, the Webley Service firing pellets was more efficient than dust shot!

I wonder if this cadmium-plated rifle was the one the scientists used? Having a rust-proof coating would be perfect for the Tropics!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I.J. reminded me of this bit in WHB Smith's encyclopedia when he mentioned using dust shot for collecting specimens of birds, in the shotgun thread yesterday. According to Smith, quoting a zoologist, the Webley Service firing pellets was more efficient than dust shot!

I wonder if this cadmium-plated rifle was the one the scientists used? Having a rust-proof coating would be perfect for the Tropics!
    Wow. I wonder if this was done at the factory when it was made? I've seen and had various plated Webley's over the years (some aftermarket), but none like that. Fascinating.

Henry Kranks recently sold a 2 barrelled Service in a wooden box, which they claimed was associated with this zoologist. No idea what provenance it had but by the sounds of it, there were a number in use. An interesting item, if genuine.

John

Cadmium seems a strange choice of plating, why not nickel?

Anyone have an idea why?

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magicesperanto View Post
    Cadmium seems a strange choice of plating, why not nickel?

Anyone have an idea why?
    Less likely to spook I suppose when out in all that sun

You can get it in other colours such as olive green as well, but it is not as durable as nickle obviously.

I get a fair bit of work cad or zinc passivated, and had mused on the idea myself in the past.

ATB, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Less likely to spook I suppose when out in all that sun

You can get it in other colours such as olive green as well, but it is not as durable as nickle obviously.

I get a fair bit of work cad or zinc passivated, and had mused on the idea myself in the past.

ATB, Ed
    I liked cadmium for handlebar fittings but thought it had been outlawed like creosote (not suitable for handlebars).

ATVB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I.J. reminded me of this bit in WHB Smith's encyclopedia when he mentioned using dust shot for collecting specimens of birds, in the shotgun thread yesterday.
    See! I do have my uses.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by walnutfarmmick View Post
    I liked cadmium for handlebar fittings but thought it had been outlawed like creosote (not suitable for handlebars).

ATVB, Mick
    You could use it Mick but the grips would go a bit mushy!!
    BASC