Thread: new member from sweden

Smile new member from sweden

Hello!

I´m a 28 year old airgun-enthusiast living in Stockholm. I´ve been interested in hunting an shooting for as long as I can remember. But for many years education, short-time work and cityliving made It hard to maintain these interest. Last year I kind of "grew roots" and became a father, got the job that i wanted and a longterm place to life with my family.
    In the aftermath of these circumstances I also re-discovered the joy of shooting airguns, despite the fact that i life in the city-center. The resurrection of my dwelling interest escalated rapidly, my airgun collection grew from 0 to 10 guns during 2013. Mostly old models of sentimental value, like RWS Diana 25 and 35 but also a few modern airguns like FX Independence and Hatsan 125 sniper.
    Even started writing about my hobby in a blog.

My hopes by becoming a member of this forum Is to find a lot of useful information and tips to improve my shooting as well as my writing.

I´m also curious to find info about older airguns that happen to come into my possession during my collecting.
    I recently bought a pistol that I´ve recognized as a Peerless .21 from Gaggenau Ironworks. (Got the name and manufacturer from Blue book of airguns)
    More information about this pistol is difficult to find, and I hope to get more answers by looking outside of the swedish border.

Anyhow, looking forward to a lot of exciting airgun-reading

//Urbanairgun aka David

Hello mate .

And welcome to the forum .

All the best .

Andy .
    " Never mistake kindness for weakness "

Hi David

Welcome to the forum

Am I right in thinking you cannot hunt with airguns in Sweden? what other airgun shooting sports do you do there HFT,FT Benchrest ?

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Rammer View Post
    Hi David

Welcome to the forum

Am I right in thinking you cannot hunt with airguns in Sweden? what other airgun shooting sports do you do there HFT,FT Benchrest ?
    Hi Rammer!

Well you can hunt with airguns in sweden but it´s highly regulated and It´s a lot of hassle to get a valid hunting permission.
    - First of, You need to have a firearm-certificate for the rifle you plan to use.

To legaly obtain a firearm-certificate for any rifle in sweden there´s two ways.
    1: You pass a huntersexam. The costs of a this exam can vary between 5000-100000kr (900-1800 USD) and it involves teorethic an practical tests regarding
    gunsafety, proper shooting techniques, wildlife knowledge and more..
    2. You become a member in i shooting-club for at least 6 months, you pass the club-tests in gunsafety, shooting technicues etc. and you show up at he range and participate in competitions regularly, proving that you need a gun to maintain your interest in competitive shooting.

You need to apply for a license for each and every gunpurchase you want to make.
    You wont be able to collect the gun you've applied for until after your application has been approved by your local police.
    There´s also a "regular" limit of six firearms for every gunowner (collectors or other individuals with special need for more than six guns, can apply for this permission, but you need to have a valid reason.)

In the subject of unregulated airguns for hunting:
    - You also need documents from landowners, that proves you´re in need of a licensed airgun. (Perhaps there´s a dairy-farm with a rat problem and shotguns are too loud for example.)
    - The rifle has to be at least a .22
    - And you are restricted to hunt only "small" pests in the size of rats, sparrows, doves etc.

This I´s the regular proceedings that every hunter in sweden a accustomed with, But If there´s a will there´s a way All you need i a bit of patience.

I´m hoping to try out benchrest-shooting in 2014, I've recently joined an airgun-club here in stockholm but I have'nt owned a car in like 10 years and it´s a pretty tough ride by subway and bus to get to the range.
    Fortunately we decided to get some wheels this year so hopefully I'll be out on the range at least once a week this spring.

//David