Thread: BSA Superstar info?

BSA Superstar info?

As above really. Saw one of these recently, and fancied the look of it.

Don't really know much about them. The .177 seems to be much rarer than .22. I wonder also if they only ever came in beech stock. Ideally I'd like walnut. Did see an advert for a trader who had a walnut .177 for restoration at just £99. Seemed like my ideal gun, but I called and it was long gone. He was adamant that it was in a walnut stock, though I can't find any info about whether that was offered originally. Have seen a few ads for guns for sale, none of them mention the stock timber at all. Some are dark enough to be walnut, but surely if they were the seller would say so.

Any info on these appreciated.

If you do have one, or know of one coming up for sale, them please let me know. My ideal would be:

Carbine
    Walnut stock

Requires restoration ideally, partly due to price, partly cos I just enjoy the process. Have already done a Supersport but fancy something more worthwhile that I can really do up to a high standard.

In the meantime, any info would be much valued.
    AA S400 carbine in .177 Walnut stock, Rowan multi shot conversion, Rowan trigger, Huggett mod. MTC Mamba 3-12 x 44.
    Refurbished 1986 BSA Supersport .22 with MWSS custom silencer.

Hi

AKAIK there was never a Walnut option.

Mostly these are found in .22 Full length flavour.

Rotary breech like the RB2 Airsporter but much nicer underlever cocking action and a truly excellent 2-stage trigger unit

If you can find a carbine in .177 you are a lucky man and you should buy it.

I am the happy owner of a full length .22, a rare full length .25 and an equally rare .177 Carbine.

I would say that they are as nice to shoot as an HW77 in the main but they do suffer a bit from a rather OTT piston mass, bore and stroke for <12 ft lb shooting and would defo benefit from a short stroke and (I think!) a Transfer Port narrowing mod (both these activities are on the cards for the .22 I have as it's a bit of a project gun)

As my .25 and .177 are mint examples I will not be messing with them.

I can highly recommend these guns for a good quality slightly quirky alternative to other underlever springers.

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

As Mattyboy says, I've never heard of a walnut stock option either.

I had a full length Mk.1 in .22, and it was really nice; accurate, well made, with pleasant handling. I wouldn't put it in the same class as the TX200, but it is certainly a decent rifle and I would consider having another if the price was right.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
    Hi

I can highly recommend these guns for a good quality slightly quirky alternative to other underlever springers.

Matty
    Totally agree!

Ive got a couple of full length in .177 - a Superstar 'Magnum' http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=18 (whats all that about ) and a more standard version. http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=19 Ive never seen a factory walnut stocked one.
    One of the best BSAs produced and often over looked. One of the safest rifles to load to and you dont have to put your 'pinkies' in any man traps.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

One of only two springers I've had that I managed to get any sort of decent accuracy out of (the other being a Diana 280T06).
    Mine was a lovely 177 carbine - if you find one you should buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Totally agree!

Ive got a couple of full length in .177 - a Superstar 'Magnum' http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=18 (whats all that about ) and a more standard version. http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=19 Ive never seen a factory walnut stocked one.
    One of the best BSAs produced and often over looked. One of the safest rifles to load to and you dont have to put your 'pinkies' in any man traps.

ATB
    Ian
    The "Magnum" eh? Not seen that before - is it a 20 ft lb beast?

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thanks all. Just makes me want one even more.

I guess the guy was probably wrong about the walnut stock. Difficult to see in the pic, as the grain wasn't clear. £99 including period scope, and .177. Would have been perfect. Unfortunately Google had picked up an old ad. Very nearly bought a 'shooting star' by mistake until we both realised we were discussing different guns over the phone.

Will keep my eyes peeled. There's a few around at £150ish at the moment (.22), but ideally I want something that needs more work, even if its not much cheaper.
    AA S400 carbine in .177 Walnut stock, Rowan multi shot conversion, Rowan trigger, Huggett mod. MTC Mamba 3-12 x 44.
    Refurbished 1986 BSA Supersport .22 with MWSS custom silencer.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
    The "Magnum" eh? Not seen that before - is it a 20 ft lb beast?

Matty
    No, its doing - 11ft/lbs m.e. Ive never heard of a 'Magnum' Super Star either.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Truckcab79 View Post
    As above really. Saw one of these recently, and fancied the look of it.

Don't really know much about them. The .177 seems to be much rarer than .22. I wonder also if they only ever came in beech stock. Ideally I'd like walnut. Did see an advert for a trader who had a walnut .177 for restoration at just £99. Seemed like my ideal gun, but I called and it was long gone. He was adamant that it was in a walnut stock, though I can't find any info about whether that was offered originally. Have seen a few ads for guns for sale, none of them mention the stock timber at all. Some are dark enough to be walnut, but surely if they were the seller would say so.

Any info on these appreciated.

If you do have one, or know of one coming up for sale, them please let me know. My ideal would be:

Carbine
    Walnut stock

Requires restoration ideally, partly due to price, partly cos I just enjoy the process. Have already done a Supersport but fancy something more worthwhile that I can really do up to a high standard.

In the meantime, any info would be much valued.
    I had a carbine .177 fitted with a Theoben ram. One very sweet gun that I wish I had never sold. Such is life.