Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MPL comp shooting - Place your rants here!

MPL comp shooting - Place your rants here!

Right, I didn't want to deface any of the other MPL threads with my 'newbie' ranting, so here goes!

First off - Thanks to Zooma for the competition package

This is my first ever air pistol comp!

The last time I shot at match cards was with a .22 Browning semi-auto at 25 yards, so that gives you an idea how long ago...

I have a choice of 2 eligible pistols for the .177 comp... my 1996 IZH46 (non M) which I bought a couple of years ago, with a delicious back-story of how it came via the USSR Olympic Team! ... and the HW75 I've just bought. Which is utterly awesome!

The HW75 trigger (un-adjusted) is 100 times better than the Baikal... but the IZH's sights and grip are... bigger!

A few practice cards with both pistols gives an average of 40 ex50 whatever pistol I'm using, so the Izzy it is, then

I'm sure I used to shoot around a 90 ex100 average at smallbore pistol, so this 6 yard business isn't looking very good... but then that was 15+ years ago, and now I'm pushing 50 yrs old with diagnosed Glocoma in my shooting eye... see the excuse coming in early there!?

Right, a few shots at the back of a match card to warm up - and off we go to shoot my first two comp cards!... I'm allowing myself to drop a point from yesterday's average (for comp' nerves), so I'd be happy with 39s...

Card #1: Score = 39
    Three shots high, and two shots low. The two low ones are 7s.... there's only one 9 and not a 10 on there!
    Still, the score is OK...

Card #2: Score = 39
    This is better... three 9s and an eight... last shot...
    Me starts thinking about making a cup of tea to have while I score the card...
    Me trys to stop thinking about the tea...
    A flipping 4 !!!
    I mean, that one shot is 'six off' out of 'eleven off' on the whole card!!
    If only I'd have shot an 8, that'd be... a 43 !

Grrr, the 40s are coming... it's just a matter of time...

I know, I'll massively adjust the trigger!... that'll be sure to end well...

Ta for looking - but please - don't anybody say 'well, at least it's consistant'... 'cos consistant it certainly is not! Phil

Well, you could aim at becoming more consistent. Just don't get better, I need someone to beat.

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by micken View Post
    Well, you could aim at becoming more consistent. Just don't get better, I need someone to beat.

Mick
    lol... well the trigger fettling went beautifully - A little less sear engagment, and I'm straight in the 9s and 10s

I'm sure I'll find a way to defeat myself on the next match card

Oh no, another fettler. We'll have to set up a club.

Can I join too?
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

6 yards is too easy !

When we first started this 6 yard shooting lark last year I got the impression that the "serious" target shooters kind of "poo-pooed" it as being not that much of a challenge.

However - I have yet to see anyone that scores better on these 6 yard Air 8 targets than they can achieve at 10 meters.

This is a real challenge - especially as the choice of pistol is restricted to those that comply with the MPL rules.

Although most of us use this competition as an excuse to exercise the classic air pistols and find it to be a very entertaining competition to be involved with, it is most definitely not a "push-over" but a competition that can provide a very stiff challenge for anyone that wants to take it seriously.

This is a competition for everyone - the hobby shooter, the classic air pistol collector - and even the serious competitor!

If you have not yet entered you could be missing-out on one of the best UK competitions we have that can accommodate everyone that likes to shoot air pistols at targets in their own homes or anywhere that is safe to shoot at 6 yards

I'm in full agreement with all Bob's comments and I've just realised that I'll have to set up my Heath Robinson 6yd affair at some point in the very near future. It's so much bl00dy hassle that I'm thinking of firing off a fusillade of pellets to cover a few month's rounds. That's after I use up a good quantity of the practice cards I got.

Quote Originally Posted by micken View Post
    I'm in full agreement with all Bob's comments and I've just realised that I'll have to set up my Heath Robinson 6yd affair at some point in the very near future. It's so much bl00dy hassle that I'm thinking of firing off a fusillade of pellets to cover a few month's rounds. That's after I use up a good quantity of the practice cards I got.
    Hang your pellet trap on the wall ( or stand it on a box) and check 6 paces back measures 6 yards and go for it !

My pellet trap sits on top of a tool chest with the correct height ( sort of) being gained by siting it on top of an old Black and Decker drill case in my garage but I shoot diagonally across the garage to get the correct distance..

The garage is a bit cold at this time of year but it is handy to be indoors whereas any 10 meter practice at home would mean standing outside and shooting into the garage.

I've commandeered half a shelf on the bookcase in the lounge I intend to keep it set up - as various books have been arranged as a modest backstop.

If I go more than 6" off target to the left - I'd hit a glass sliding door - so I don't miss to the left Otherwise I'd probably just hit books

I think the box shape pellet catcher here: http://www.nsrashop.co.uk/acatalog/Target_Holders.html would fit in better than my funnel type... I might order me one of those.

I also need-ish some pellets! Question: Why can't we buy the Chinese pellets that they use at all the international events??

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    When we first started this 6 yard shooting lark last year I got the impression that the "serious" target shooters kind of "poo-pooed" it as being not that much of a challenge.

However - I have yet to see anyone that scores better on these 6 yard Air 8 targets than they can achieve at 10 meters.

This is a real challenge - especially as the choice of pistol is restricted to those that comply with the MPL rules.

Although most of us use this competition as an excuse to exercise the classic air pistols and find it to be a very entertaining competition to be involved with, it is most definitely not a "push-over" but a competition that can provide a very stiff challenge for anyone that wants to take it seriously.

This is a competition for everyone - the hobby shooter, the classic air pistol collector - and even the serious competitor!

If you have not yet entered you could be missing-out on one of the best UK competitions we have that can accommodate everyone that likes to shoot air pistols at targets in their own homes or anywhere that is safe to shoot at 6 yards
    I was under the impression that the 6yd / 10M NSRA targets were carefully scaled to be equally easy / difficult?... like they do with the 'Match 89' cards...? No?

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    I've commandeered half a shelf on the bookcase in the lounge I intend to keep it set up - as various books have been arranged as a modest backstop.

If I go more than 6" off target to the left - I'd hit a glass sliding door - so I don't miss to the left Otherwise I'd probably just hit books

I think the box shape pellet catcher here: http://www.nsrashop.co.uk/acatalog/Target_Holders.html would fit in better than my funnel type... I might order me one of those.

I also need-ish some pellets! Question: Why can't we buy the Chinese pellets that they use at all the international events??

I was under the impression that the 6yd / 10M NSRA targets were carefully scaled to be equally easy / difficult?... like they do with the 'Match 89' cards...? No?

Try this for a target holder - Rossendale Models has them in stock and they work a treat.

http://www.classicapa.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=489

http://www.rossendaletackle.co.uk/ba...et-holder.html

I understand the targets are scaled to the 10 meter ones - but I still find them more difficult
    Last edited by zooma; 03-04-2014 at 10:11 AM.

Yup
    Totally addictive and you can do it at home, i've gone from no pistols from 3 months ago to well lots and has spurred me to join a club and get a couple of PCP pukka pistols but the 6yd is easier to do by far, shooting every evening and practicing is a good way to de stress.

George

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post

)
    Qiang Yuan, they are only made in rifle weights but I know a lot of pistol shooters including some of the top level use them. We have them at our club they are all rifle 8.3 gm weight but are available in 4.49 and 4.50. We get them through a shooter who brings them in as a sideline but I think Intershoot has them.

Yes, you did remember shooting higher scores with a .22rf at 25 yds/mts, the 25 mt targets are a lot easier than the air pistol targets as they are designed for timed fire, the 25 mt target was always the same size as the free pistol target shot at 50 mts, and that s difficult! The 25 mt cards are proportional to the 10 metre rapid fire air pistol target (Air 10/97) and that has a ten half way across the nine and the nine is bigger than the eight on a standard 10 mt air card.

If the 6yd is proportional to the 10 mt it should be slightly easier as the pellet is the same size and not reduced, I think a lot of prortional short range targets get lower results as its a mental thing, you think its easier so don't try so hard. I promised Bob I'd shoot the MPL 10 mt for fun so I need to get cracking this week.
    So try harder, but whilst having fun.
    Good shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Try this for a target holder - Rossendale Models has them in stock and they work a treat.

http://www.classicapa.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=489 [...]
    Ooo, that's a nice one, Bob I may just treat myself...

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    Qiang Yuan, they are only made in rifle weights [...]
    Ah, thanks Robin... I suppose they may be a bit heavy for my low powered SSPs.

Yes, you did remember shooting higher scores with a .22rf [...]
    After searching the old memory banks, and looking at the NSRA's targets here: http://www.nsrashop.co.uk/acatalog/Pistol.html I believe we were shooting something like the PL12 targets, and I think it was at 20 yards, not 25. So yep - that was all rather flattering!

If the 6yd is proportional to the 10 mt it should be slightly easier as the pellet is the same size and not reduced, I think a lot of prortional short range targets get lower results as its a mental thing, you think its easier so don't try so hard.
    Or, you think you should shoot above your 10M index - then you put yourself under too much pressure if you don't!

I promised Bob I'd shoot the MPL 10 mt for fun so I need to get cracking this week.
    So try harder, but whilst having fun.
    Good shooting
    Robin
    Thanks Robin

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

this is an ideal way of being more disciplined about your pistol shooting without the worry that your going to be overstressed about getting consistent
    max scores.i have relearned some basic rules about accurate and consistent pistol shooting by taking part ,this has led to my enjoying my plinking sessions all the more .who'd have thought something as simple as using the correct part of the trigger finger at the same point can have such a critical effect .due to a stress injury problem ive had to learn shooting in my left hand ,initially i thought this was going to be an uphill task with little likelihood of success but im in the black all the time now and high 30s seem attainable from a single stage kicker .im using both my hurricanes in the .22/.177 and found them to be individuals in the release point so prep before shooting the score card is important.the .22 is smoother to cock and trigger release point a tad more predictable against the .177, but practise has instilled in my mind what each needs to get the best out of them.i hav e quality target pistols where everything is tune able to pellet on pellet well almost!.but if a more straight forward pistol demands more of you to get
    on target you cant help but learn to shoot more instinctively and with more satisfaction ultimately in my opinion.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

Quote Originally Posted by red bob View Post
    this is an ideal way of being more disciplined about your pistol shooting without the worry that your going to be overstressed about getting consistent
    max scores.i have relearned some basic rules about accurate and consistent pistol shooting by taking part ,this has led to my enjoying my plinking sessions all the more .who'd have thought something as simple as using the correct part of the trigger finger at the same point can have such a critical effect .due to a stress injury problem ive had to learn shooting in my left hand ,initially i thought this was going to be an uphill task with little likelihood of success but im in the black all the time now and high 30s seem attainable from a single stage kicker .im using both my hurricanes in the .22/.177 and found them to be individuals in the release point so prep before shooting the score card is important.the .22 is smoother to cock and trigger release point a tad more predictable against the .177, but practise has instilled in my mind what each needs to get the best out of them.i hav e quality target pistols where everything is tune able to pellet on pellet well almost!.but if a more straight forward pistol demands more of you to get
    on target you cant help but learn to shoot more instinctively and with more satisfaction ultimately in my opinion.
    Shooting Webley spring powered air pistols at home is a lot of fun when I have a few minutes to spare and it is a challenge at 6 yards.

I prefer to shoot my old classic air pistols at home even though I would seldom consider taking them to the club range and I know what you mean about the Webley pistols being "individuals" - even when you think you have got two the same - they are different!

The 6 yard postal competition is a real pleasure to take part in and I really look forward to shooting every round - it must be even better for anyone that cannot get to a local club as it provides a competition from your now home.....or garden.......or almost anywhere really
    Last edited by zooma; 06-02-2014 at 10:24 PM.