Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MPL comp shooting - Place your rants here!

Update:

Well, there was some peace & quiet available in my lounge / dining room / 6 yd shooting range last night, so I decided to shoot all my Feb match cards (.177 & .22) in one go... that's only 30+30=60 shots (plus sighters), which I believe is the same as a ladies or juniors match (?)...

The .177 cards went well... I was fairly relaxed, I'm getting better at setting my feet for a repeatable stance, and was trying to concentrate on little else but the sight picture... first 4 cards were all in the 40s, with cards 3 & 4 scoring my joint 'best ever' of 44s... pulled a bad shot high & right into the white on card 5, getting a bit too 'casual' with the trigger... managed to rescue that card for a 39, then really struggled with concentration & trigger release throughout card 6, and felt lucky to end with a 42.

Score: 253 ex 300. I'm quite happy with that. I should have been able to ignore the bad shot that made the rest of the session so much more difficult, and need to remember the 'easy' & 'in control' feeling during the cards that gave the best scores

I think I'll raise the rearsight, to allow me to 'area aim' a little lower... as I'm getting more 'automatic' with my breathing & aiming etc, I realise the good shots are all about concentrating on the sight picture... and moving the black further away should make it less distracting.

Phil

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

always interesting to hear how others approach the score card climax! .its quite a lesson in self analysis;not wanting to loose what is becoming a successful formula and repeating it consistently. in my case ive found that setting everything up as near to the point of release as possible before rising the arm, and not finding that i have anything extra beyond the aim/release is critical for me.silly things like finding that i havent quite got the grip correct or the trigger finger isn't just at the optimum position.my personnel challenge is now to make the trigger pull almost without thought ie when the sight picture is set i release almost automaticly giving me no chance to build up that dreaded finger lock when i just cant quite pull that last smidgen without pulling the aim point out of place. then my latest thing is after shooting a couple of cards in the low 40s which is very good for me ,do i carry on as im on a roll or do i stop before i waver through concentration and follow up later in the week!! but if ive had a bad week i could return below par! who said im taking this to seriously [LOL] keep it up phill im gonna have to nail myself to your coat tails to keep up ,still im breaking the 40s now.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

Thanks Bob I think we have a lot of the same thoughts about this pistol shooting lark.

I'm really enjoying the MPL, and although I'm only really competing against myself, it's interesting to see how others are doing with different pistols. And I like reading how others approach their shooting...

I see your March .177 scores are in - with a big improvement. So you must be doing something right!
    Looks like you are getting right in among the recoilless match pistols, which I think is mighty impressive with a Webley Hurricane
    I had a nice condition .177 Hurricane recently, which I'd re-lubed & put a new spring in, so it was shooting fine - yet I couldn't hit a barn door with it...

I've had right trouble with my .22 MPL Tempest... I was shooting it fine in Jan, but had a mare with the Feb match cards.
    Seems like it lost most of it's FPS, and was flinging the shots off to the right.
    I've had the same symptoms with steel Webleys before - when they're down on power, they seem to twist under recoil & shoot right, soon running out of 'left' sight adjustment.
    So I was having to 'aim off', and the pellets were ripping the match cards, without enough speed to cut neat hole like before... I somehow rescued the same score as Jan, so I guess I must have improved my shooting a bit.
    I don't want to give up on the Webley, but it's on the sub's bench for now. I'll have to take it to bits for a look inside...

I didn't have another .22 pistol, so in a bit of a panic, I bought a .22 Nemesis - which I've been playing with over the past few days... it's looking pretty good (although it's no target pistol)... I'll soon find out what happens when I break out the March comp cards!

Best wishes, and good luck to all in the MPL!

Phil

hi phill ,i had the same problem with my .22 tempest ,in the end i felt that it was a little short of balance compared to the hurricane ;and to quote tescos every little counts especially when taming a kicker .another habit i have now got into is shooting three practise cards before the grouping tightens up enough to shoot the comp card.my last .22 card was spoilt somewhat by a new tendency to o so slightly snatch the trigger as i feel the moment to shoot is going off!!. a top notch pistol shooter will drop the arm and reset rather than chancing a flyer. my biggest improvement is now that when i knock out a flyer ,i can tell what caused it ;frustrating in itself but no where near as bad as staring at another wide with no idea what the cause was.
    i must admit to purchasing a compact and an hw45 for future comp use but i have learned a great deal from "bill and ben" my hurricanes and that untill i feel that i cant improve further i will stick with them.im pretty certain that the trigger pull is their main constraint judging by the amount of concentration required to balance grip against pull.you mention that you were considering the nemesis ;i was collecting them for a while and enjoy shooting them but found personally that the pull weight on the trigger a tad heavy and lacking in feed back ,this might well be me as i tend to stiffen my finger as i gradually pull in the trigger;i still feel that for the money the compact once run in is pound for pound serious value for money and certainly gave me my best scores .
    Last edited by red bob; 22-03-2014 at 12:02 AM.

Is that the GAMO Compact you have bought for the next MPL series Bob ?

We have one of these as a club pistol and it is a nice and accurate pistol that is very popular with anyone that has had a go with it.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

sure is bob and ive been tempted to give it a few goes but put it away again till its time comes round.i dont want to confuse my mind setup for the hurricane twins .

Quote Originally Posted by red bob View Post
    sure is bob and ive been tempted to give it a few goes but put it away again till its time comes round.i dont want to confuse my mind setup for the hurricane twins .
    The next season will be much easier for you with a recoilless pistol so we will be looking for a sharp increase in your scores

..no pressure then

Quote Originally Posted by red bob View Post
    hi phill ,i had the same problem with my .22 tempest ,in the end i felt that it was a little short of balance compared to the hurricane ;and to quote tescos every little counts especially when taming a kicker .another habit i have now got into is shooting three practise cards before the grouping tightens up enough to shoot the comp card.my last .22 card was spoilt somewhat by a new tendency to o so slightly snatch the trigger as i feel the moment to shoot is going off!!. a top notch pistol shooter will drop the arm and reset rather than chancing a flyer. my biggest improvement is now that when i knock out a flyer ,i can tell what caused it ;frustrating in itself but no where near as bad as staring at another wide with no idea what the cause was.
    i must admit to purchasing a compact and an hw45 for future comp use but i have learned a great deal from "bill and ben" my hurricanes and that untill i feel that i cant improve further i will stick with them.im pretty certain that the trigger pull is their main constraint judging by the amount of concentration required to balance grip against pull.

you mention that you were considering the nemesis ;i was collecting them for a while and enjoy shooting them but found personally that the pull weight on the trigger a tad heavy and lacking in feed back ,this might well be me as i tend to stiffen my finger as i gradually pull in the trigger;

i still feel that for the money the compact once run in is pound for pound serious value for money and certainly gave me my best scores .
    Hiya Bob, yep, I think it's all about the trigger. I can only get 'so good' with the heavy pull of the Tempest... when I get time, I'll try some drastic measures to hone it & perhaps find a lighter trigger spring.

When the 2 Nemesis arrived (boy and a girl) I was horrified at the 5lb pull on the triggers... practice groups, I was throwing plenty out into the white. I even missed the pellet catcher once (at 6 o-clock), putting a hole in my Lewis Hamilton biography / backstop!

Then I found some info on another forum - changed the incredibly stiff Webley trigger springs for a couple of lighter ones I found in the garage - plus a drop of thin oil on the linkages - job done! (only a case of removing the grip panels to get to it).

Now the trigger is much lighter. Very predictable. With zero creep... simple job, that totally transforms a Nemesis. And I've tried banging on the butt to see if it'll discharge, and it doesn't

Let me know if you want me to take pictures of how it's done (if you still have a Nemesis). Bucause it's made an aweful trigger into a very nice one!

ATB - Phil

Hi Phil,

Some pictures of the Nemesis trigger fix would be very interesting to see.

I can see you and red bob raising up the MPL ranks with your SSP acquisitions ......but it is much more satisfying to squeeze a good score out of a springer - even if it is only now and again

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Hi Phil,

Some pictures of the Nemesis trigger fix would be very interesting to see.

I can see you and red bob raising up the MPL ranks with your SSP acquisitions ......but it is much more satisfying to squeeze a good score out of a springer - even if it is only now and again
    Here we go Bob - With pictures! http://umarexboysclubforum.myfinefor...php?f=25&t=894

I've done a bit of practice and a couple of match cards with the .22 Nemesis this evening, and I notice the muzzle flip is more than many spring guns! Must be the light muzzle + those heavy pellets!

And there's some wierd magnetism thing going on, keeping me out of the 9s and 10s

That looks like a nice simple fix.

Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    That looks like a nice simple fix.

Well done!
    I was lucky to find that thread, and some lighter springs in my man-garage!

As Jef (author of the thread) says "I now have the pair set up with target like triggers and the consequent improvement in grouping was staggering".

So of course, I now want to make my lighter trigger even lighter!