Thread: Powder preferance

Powder preferance

I've being using Swiss No 2 with a ROA and getting a presentable score. Couldn't get any Swiss so changed to FO triangle.
    I couldn't believe the difference, it was if I was shooting with a shotgun.all over the place.Gone back to the Swiss and I'm back on target.
    I use 20 grns B/P, semolina filler. and either wad of 50% beeswax/lard or 100% lard over the chamber, which doesn't seem to make a difference with the accuracy.
    Has anyone done a comparison with different types of powder?

Strangely mine both prefer 20gns of TS2 but don't seem to like Swiss. I also use semolina and an over ball lube.
    My 5 1/4" one is consistent through out the session but my 7 1/2" needs a round of shots to "lead" the bore before
    it becomes accurate. Just one of the joys of shooting B/P. Tim.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    The powders are very different in burn rate, which means that the "sweet load" for the two powders will be different. I find that my ROA likes 18 grains of TS2 and (a very long time ago) I arrived at 15.7 grains for FOT.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

at what ranges are you testing your bp loads at ?
    ballkeeper

local club 25yds and at Melville.

iam using 15gr of kranks fine in the .36 and 22gr in the .44. both with cornflour ond topping of the .44 using e45 on top of ball
    ballkeeper

Quote Originally Posted by gtpkeeper View Post
    at what ranges are you testing your bp loads at ?
    Standard MLAGB and MLAIC pistol distance - 25 yards (or is it metres now? - anyway 25 of them)
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Winning loads

Thought you might find this interesting.

http://www.mlagb.com/shooting/pistol/2002loads.pdf
    TANSTAAFL

Interesting to see that Swiss is the powder of choice by a long way.
    What I do find confusing is that whilst the powder will have a different burn rate and thus changing the velocity why was I not getting at least some resemblance of a group.
    I've got some Henry Kranks fine plus the Swiss and FOT. I'm at Melville next Sunday so I'll have a play with different loads and powders and see what results I get.

Swiss #2, Black Silver (now not available) and Curtis and Harvey (also no longer available) are all "fast" and high density powders.

This should come as no surprise to those of us who used to shoot centrefire precision - the fast double base nitro powders (Bullseye, Accurate #2, Red Dot, I think there is a fast Viht too) with relatively light charges proved accurate.

The only reason I don't use Swiss #2 all the time is the cost - but I see that TS2 is now comparable in cost so I might have to move over.
    TANSTAAFL

You are using too small powder charge. As already stated swiss powders do appear "more powerful" than others. This has nothing to do with the density but to do with the recipe used; that is the ratios of fuels and oxidiser. Also swiss powders feature significantly less free graphite, that is added to help the powder flow though the manufacturing and packaging processes. I use FO triangle in my old army and shoot scores in the upper 80's and low 90s. Load is 28 gr. powder, corrugated card board wad and .457 ball. In my musketoon I use 75gr. of FO Triangle as opposed to just 60 swiss 2.

Standard MLAGB and MLAIC pistol distance - 25 yards (or is it metres now? - anyway 25 of them)
    ah , iam shooting at 2o yds using NSRA PL12 cards
    might have a go at 25m using the p7 targets they seem massive
    Last edited by gtpkeeper; 29-01-2014 at 07:18 AM.
    ballkeeper