Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: match grips

Ergonomics of match grips

I have experimented with carving some grips for my Feinwerkbau model 80.
    I have tried some different shapes adding support and removing material where it
    seemed necessarily and are fairly happy with the result.
    I now want to carve a new set, the final set, but I find it hard to find good information
    on the theory behind good match grips and what features that makes a good grip.

I want my next grip to be following whatever rules they have to follow to be allowed
    as match grips as well as to follow any good theory behind a good functional set of grips.

I find it hard to find any good information on the subject other that that they (the gun)
    should fit in a 5cm wide box.
    Maybe it is my language skills that comes in short, I do not know?

Does any one have some experience, pointers, good links or any other information they would
    want to share with me?

Cheers.
    Last edited by Eidem; 01-02-2014 at 01:18 AM. Reason: More describing title
    Wanted part new/used: Model 65, 80, 90 part 1600.178.1 Führungsachse, hinten ø 4,615 Guide axle, rear, ø 4,615

Some info here,

http://www.issf-sports.org/academy/t...ng/pistol.ashx

under "Right Hand Position"

Also the Rink Grip site may be of help.
    Evo 10 Compact.

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Quote Originally Posted by silvershooter View Post
    Some info here,

the Match Guns site is better.

http://www.matchguns.com/en/tailored-gun-grip

See attachment sheets (bottom left under pictures) for details of measurements required.
    ATB
    Mike
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Quote Originally Posted by silvershooter View Post
    Some info here,

Nice one, found this one to be great. It explained quite a few things about the ergonomics of the grip. Cheers!
    Wanted part new/used: Model 65, 80, 90 part 1600.178.1 Führungsachse, hinten ø 4,615 Guide axle, rear, ø 4,615

Quote Originally Posted by mikec4 View Post
    the Match Guns site is better.

http://www.matchguns.com/en/tailored-gun-grip

See attachment sheets (bottom left under pictures) for details of measurements required.
    ATB
    Mike
    Can not really see anything regarding the grip, yes it shows what to measure on ones hand, but nothing on how to translate that into the grip?
    Although it did show me a few more things to be aware of so it is helpful. Cheers!

www.tenrings.co.uk sorry haven't learned how to do links yet....... Hey it did it for me !!
    Pick up your gun, shove a bullet up the spout
    It's the Major Dennis Bloodnok Rock'n' Roll Call Tango

http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?...d59239ab34333c This is a good read and should give you some ideas.

How about showing us some photos of what you are doing?

Best regards,

Mick

Cheers for the links guys, most welcome!
    I will take some photos tomorrow showing and explaining what I've been doing so far.

Also wanted to add a couple links to the thread that I've found helpful to assist others looking for
    pointers.

Pistol shooting basics by Efim Khaidurov:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSW1sFMCMCs
    Last edited by Eidem; 01-02-2014 at 01:24 AM.

Some photos of development of match grip

Sorry that took awhile :-)

First attempt of shaping the grips.

Grip I just started carving out for fingers.

GripThe grip was rather wide

Grip
    I made a slightly curved down position for the thumb as it felt natural
    I later used plasticine that I baked to reshape the space for the thumb, at first I used the width of the grip building the grip so it almost went around the thumb.
    No photos of that unfortunately. I felt good and gave a really good support and the gun was almost glued to my hand fitting like an glove.

I read about that the thumb should be straight almost parallel to the barrel so I reshaped the thumb space to a straight position, still gripping around the thumb.

GripAt this point I had not much support for the bottom of my hand

Grip I used the plasticine to add a bottom support and baked it.

The grip I had at that point was very good I felt it really supported my hand well and I could be very relaxed in the wrist when shooting. There was not even a need to hold proper on to the grip when firing. I was almost tempted to leave it at that point. But I knew that the whole pistol could only be 5cm wide and I did not want to learn myself shooting with to many bad habits.

Grip
    So I sacrificed the thumb hole to make it 5cm wide. It felt more natural to sacrifice around the thumb than sacrificing palm and middle finger support.

Grip
    Next was to make the grip longer adding further support to back and bottom of my hand

Grip
    I also built up some plasticine under the middle finger to give further support.
    Grip

Grip My next step, I think I want to remove some material under my index finger to get it closed to the gun. It does not feel bad the way it is. But I want to see how it can feel. If it is worse I will just build it up with some plasticine again. I honestly do not believe this will do much difference. But there is only one way to find out

Grip I also want to try to give the thumb space to bend down a little as I think that will feel slightly more of a natural position.
    Grip More toward this position

Grip I have also read that middle finger, ring finger and little finger should be 90 degrees to the gun, mine are not. I have tried putting material under my fingers to bring it out a little achieving 90 degrees. But honestly I did not feel much difference?

Grip The pistol now sits fairly well in my hand. I can have a very relaxed wrist and do not need to clamp my fingers around the grip when firing. I have a feeling that I might have made the support a tad long for regulations?

If any one have some ideas and knowledge I am happy for any input!
    I got a few ideas from the links posted, but prior to that it has mostly been based on instinct.
    So any experience shared is mostly welcome!

My goal is to achieve the "perfect" grip withing match regulations with this experiment, then to get a nice piece of walnut to attempt to carve out the final grip.

Cheers!

Very cool, I just carved a LH grip for mine, but I basically copied the RH grip, and then tweaked it a bit from there.

I like the mod for the middle finger.

PS, what are you carving with? finish looks nice.
    Thanks - Geoff.

Thanks for the photos. Good project, if it's comfortable and you shoot well with those grips then I'd consider that a job well done.

I am fairly sure that the grip must not come back further than the wrist so the pistol does not rest against the bottom of the arm. Apart from that it looks really good
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

Quote Originally Posted by Bjacobs571 View Post
    I am fairly sure that the grip must not come back further than the wrist so the pistol does not rest against the bottom of the arm. Apart from that it looks really good
    I had a feeling it might be so. It does not really rest on the arm even if it is long The pressure is only on my palm, so taking some of will of affect the fit or support.
    Last edited by Eidem; 07-02-2014 at 06:28 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post
    Very cool, I just carved a LH grip for mine, but I basically copied the RH grip, and then tweaked it a bit from there.

I like the mod for the middle finger.

PS, what are you carving with? finish looks nice.
    It is made of birch, I just picked a log from my fire wood that had nice and straight grain. For tools I have used a standard chisel set and a knife. I have then sanded it with the grain with some 40 grit paper to create grip. For modding and adding material I have just used some plasticine that can be baked.

The birch is colored with balsin stock oil and finished with boiled linseed oil.

For my final grips I will try to carve an identical copy out of some walnut, not using any plasticine or other material.