Thread: Newton? NV set up review

Newton? NV set up review

Hello All,

About 3 weeks ago I bought an unknown make of night vision scope with a Bresser DSA, I'm still not 100% sure but it looks very similar to the Newton 2.5x scopes I've seen online.

I've been using it since for ratting at close range and this is my impression.

Fitting the NV to the 2-7 x 32mm Hawke scope I use proved to be a little fiddly and took me a few minutes. A lot of the problem was down to the knurled ring on the ocular adjustment lens. Once it was in place and tightened up with the thumbscrews it was fixed firmly enough. Adjusting the focus to clearly show the image was the next thing but after a couple of minutes of adjustment the image came into focus to my satisfcation.

In use

The DSA was already fitted to the scope but I found it to be a flimsy affair and would liked to have seen it designed a lot more sturdier. It seems to be made from a hard type of plastic and 1 of the side lugs which hold the mount at 90 degree to the mounting bar was broken hence the NV scope was not 100% square to the telescopic sight. This was easily moved but any slight knocks and the cross hairs were showing to one side in the sight picture, it was easily rectified but was an annoying thing.

On 1st use the controls took some setting up, the on/off switch is a large top mounted wheel affair which turns clockwise to switch it on and anti clockwise for off. The further round clockwise the brighter the image gets. I found this to be very good for quick adjustment to the sight picture but it does tend to white out the image if you go too far. The contrast however is excellent and the image although slightly grainy is very good on the eyes. The magnification showed the target at about 4-4.5x its size and this made it great on the eyes. The rat was fully shown and headshots were easily taken. The 2nd controls for the onboard infra red illuminator proved to be very fiddly and difficult to find it the dark being a slide affair my thumb tended to slip off rather than moving the slider and I had to use a thumbnail to work it. Another bonus of the NV scope is that there is a video out socket which I assume you could use to record your outings.

The rats started to come out and I took 4 for 4 shots on the 1st outing, all head shots so the NV scope worked well and I'm well satisfied with what is a cheap budget set up. I've used the Yukon NVMT set up and the Cobra Merlin as well and personally I prefer the black and white image of the Newton to the green phosphur image of either of the other two set ups I've used. Probably down to my old eyes and the extra contrast the black and white gives me but who knows things may be different to someone elses eyes.

Anyway there you have it, a cheap night vision system that works well, what more can a man want?

Regards
    Last edited by Greylag; 31-12-2013 at 07:11 PM.
    Dave (www.kwacs.org.uk) "Wildfowlers do it in the mud"