Thread: Giffard Rifle

Giffard Rifle

Hi

I have a Picture of a Giffard Rifle.

Can any knowledgeable Giffard expert tell me which type it is and approximate date.

Co2 or pneumatic and French or English manufacture.

Pics from -------------redairuk@gmail.com.

Many thanks

Richard D

Picture link to follow from David Clyde
    Last edited by redair; 31-01-2014 at 08:27 PM.

your link does not work
    there is an american air gun building forum that has info on them someone built a replica
    if its the one they took to america and gave to Indians and used it to fascinate them an gain access across america it had the part of the valve that seats was made of horn and the reservoir was leather and i think copper ? there was a video on you tube about them as well
    this is not the forum i was talking about but thought it may be of some interest http://www.mlagb.com/cgi-bin/forum/Y...m=1306803736/1
    Last edited by luap; 31-01-2014 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luap View Post
    your link does not work
    there is an american air gun building forum that has info on them someone built a replica
    if its the one they took to america and gave to Indians and used it to fascinate them an gain access across america it had the part of the valve that seats was made of horn and the reservoir was leather and i think copper ? there was a video on you tube about them as well
    this is not the forum i was talking about but thought it may be of some interest http://www.mlagb.com/cgi-bin/forum/Y...m=1306803736/1
    Sorry Paul but you are thinking of the Girrandoni air rifle, which is much earlier and totally different.

I can't tell you about model i.d. but I did see one recently sell for £1,500.00 if that is any help.
    Pete.

Here's a thread (on here) concerning an identical Giffard pneumatic rifle, post #6 has the pics..

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by redair View Post
    Hi

I have a Picture of a Giffard Rifle.

Can any knowledgeable Giffard expert tell me which type it is and approximate date.

Co2 or pneumatic and French or English manufacture.

Pics from -------------redairuk@gmail.com.

Many thanks

Richard D

Picture link to follow from David Clyde
    Hi l think you will find its a pneumatic, pumped up by a rod bicycle style, just like the early Benjamins, French c1860s if memory serves me well.

Pictures of a very similar pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by micky View Post
    Hi l think you will find its a pneumatic, pumped up by a rod bicycle style, just like the early Benjamins, French c1860s if memory serves me well.
    Pistol in poor condition and never finished to Giffard standard.
    Had this for around 15 years.

Pictures to follow from Troubledshooter.

Richard D

Lawrie Amatruda is the man to contact on Giffard rifles.The ones I have seen are powered by C02, in 6mm and 8mm calibre, smooth or rifled bore.As mentioned above they go for around £1500, the pistol version for £2500.

Baz

As you say, this one has a built in air pump similar to the Bahco, Excellent and old Benjamin.This means low power output normally, but seems to be a rare beast.

Baz

Hi it looks like a home made one to me, l have a Co2 Giffard model pistol that is home made no where near the quality of the real thing.

Refference

The Jan,Feb,March 2008 issue of Airgun Hobby has an article on this model Giffard by Larry Hannusch. There are photos of a similar gun. Mr Hannusch writes that this designed was patented in England in 1864 and that his was made in Belgium in the 1870s. both long guns and pistols have been seen and known specimens have calibers of 4.5, 6, 8, and 10 mm.

The gun described was an 8mm and with 12 pumps fired a 46 gr ball at 408fps (17 FPE).

I think that the owner of this gun would do well to get a copy of this magazine. It is now Airgun Hobbyist, but they always seem to have back issues.

Blueflax

as usual i lent my catalogue and album to somebggr that had the indecency to cark it before giving it back. (tend to find that as you age)

where was the air cylinder on that one? looking at it it seems it was under barrel but some had them stored in the butt.
    i am assuming it was not a sprung bladder.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.