Thread: Rapid Air Weapons HM 1000 Thumbhole

Rapid Air Weapons HM 1000 Thumbhole

Hello gents and greetings from America. I have been lurking on this site for a long time but I never too the time to register so I thought my first post should be a review. My disclaimer: I have no financial ties to RAW, this is just a first person review.

As many of you know Theoben UK is gone and with it's demise one of the greatest air rifles was laid to rest. The good news is America stole another gunsmith (Martin Rutherford) from England and the Theoben Rapid has been reborn with quite a few refinements. I loved my Rapid but I always had a hangup with the fact that the gun was lacking a gauge and a modern straight pull bolt. Now on with the review...

The facts:
    The new Rapid Air Weapons (RAW) has taken the Rapid action and added a straight pull bolt similar to the ones found on the excellent Air Arms S510 and Weihrauch hw100 along with a much needed fill gauge. The RAW HM1000 Thumbhole comes with an 11mm dovetail mount and Martin’s own carbon fiber moderator that really quiets the gun. The barrel is 24.5 inches long with the attached RAW moderator and the barrel itself comes in at 19 inches. The overall length is 44.5 inches and she weighs 8 pounds. The trigger pull is two stage with the take up short and just a few ounces. The trigger is crisp and quick with the final stage breaking at 0.6 pounds. The new thumbhole is set for a right handed shooter and I am not sure if left handed models are available yet. This gun was shooting 18.1 JSBs at 33 foot pounds and the JSB Monster 25.39 at a whopping 36 foot pounds. The gun is equipped with a 400cc bottle that delivers on a full 210 BAR 50 shots before I need a refill. The mean FPS on the JSB 18.1 showed an average for 50 shots at 906 fps with a deviation of 18 fps. The RAW HM 1000 is comes with a small gauge and a foster fill port on the top of the gun. The gun is supplied with a 12 shot Theoben type magazine and I think genuine Theoben mags will fit this gun.

Impressions:
    The stock and gun are a pleasure to shoot. The cheek piece is generous and very comfortable on the face. I found the gun very well balanced and because of this fact the gun feels lighter. The grip is very ergonomic and a single had carry is easy with the use of the thumbhole. There is also a thumb platform if the shooter chooses to use it. The gun is very easy to shoot off hand and the accuracy is lights out. This gun will out perform my capabilities. The best part of the gun is it’s noise reduction. The snap on FAC guns can be quite loud and this can cause a problem for follow up shots. The RAW carbon fiber (we leave the “e” off in American English) moderator is on par with the Huggett in my opinion. Filling the RAW is simple, no need for extra “pullers” to disconnect the foster fitting, there is plenty of room to release the fitting with your fingers. The gun cycling is butter smooth, and the straight pull bolt is a big improvement over the older Theoben type. I found I was able to stay on target while reloading the weapon. Modern PCP rifles are becoming insanely accurate and this RAW HM1000 is no different. Through magazine loading and not hand selecting pellets I was able to get pretty much same hole MOA if I did my part. This gun could be used for targets but make no mistake it is a hunting gun and that is really the intangible quality of this rifle; hunting. The gun may be a little long for in the car sniping (not sure if you guys do that in the UK but it is common here in the USA) but the balance of the gun make it perfect around the barn and feed lot. My first outing with the HW1000 yielded 155 feral pigeons in and around the feed lot. This will surely get me a second invite by the farmer. The gun was quiet enough to take multiple shots on the pest but the sound of the pellet striking the body of the bird proved to be enough to scare the birds. I used my somewhat slow learning curve to figure out that head shots were more quite and thus this technique put more birds in the bag. I was able to move around the farm with ease and the high shot count meant I could spend more time shooting and less time at the 4runner refilling the gun.

In closing I know many of you don't want to bother with a FAC and this review may not be that useful to you. I apologize if that is the case. I know Martin Rutherford does make sub 12 foot pound guns and if you liked the Rapid (who doesn't) you will love this new Rapid. For those of you who don't know Martin used to work for Theoben and I believe he is continuing the long and wonderful gunsmithing tradition of the English gunmaker. Air gunning is becoming very popular here in the USA and we'll be happy to take anymore gunsmiths into our country

Desert in January

After Sunrise

RAW grip

Action

The Moderator

12 shots 50 yards

Gauge

Foster fitting

Supplied dust cover

Magazine

Cocking lever

A great review Mat, and welcome to the BBs forum,
    atb brian

Hi Mat

Thanks for the review. I am also a fan of the Rapid Air Weapons rifles and have owned my TM1000's for over a year now.

The TM1000 have been popular over here for Bench Rest and a few of us are using theirs for HFT.

James McLachlan has had some great results with his (one of the first to use it in the UK) and won the UKAHFT national series last year and looks like he is going to win the Daystate Midlands series this year. Mind you, that is more down to James than the rifle but I believe he has great confidence in it.

I have owned a number of different PCP rifles over the last few years including Walther, Air Arms (sporter and target), Weihrauch, Steyr etc etc and was a serial buyer & seller but I have not been tempted to move the TM1000's on at all.

I would highly recommend them.

https://www.rapidairweapons.com/xcar...cat=262&page=1

Tony

Looks good and again welcome to the bbs.
    I have the regulator/QF/gauge fitting on one of my my Rapids running at 34 ft lb and it works well. The cocking lever a la HW100/AA S510 is an interesting development although I'd be interested in how the linkage lasts with the heavier hammer spring used with a FAC rifle. As anyone of the Rapid persuasion knows the extra effort required to activate the bolt in FAC rifles is quite a bit more than for legal limit even when they are properly set up. This will inevitably put strain on the linkage.
    As for the stock if it isn't available in either left handed or ambi I'll be very disappointed.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

funkedup is offline Surely you can do better than that!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    As for the stock if it isn't available in either left handed or ambi I'll be very disappointed.
    I wouldn't it's ugly!!!!
    Wanted - Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 tactical

It looks like the result of a three way between a rapid an airwolf and an hw100 to me. Now let me be clear, that is not meant to be disparaging. Their rifles are the first in ages that have got me trying to work out how I can afford and justify a purchase. However I will wait to see how little I have after my divorce gets sorted. Peashooter money I suspect :-(
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    It looks like the result of a three way between a rapid an airwolf and an hw100 to me. Now let me be clear, that is not meant to be disparaging. Their rifles are the first in ages that have got me trying to work out how I can afford and justify a purchase. However I will wait to see how little I have after my divorce gets sorted. Peashooter money I suspect :-(
    I have just ordered one in .20 left handed thumbhole and cant wait to get hold of the gun. Always fancied something decent in this calibre which will be a pleasant change to the usual .177 currently available in the rest of my armory! Owned a few Rapids over the years and have always regretted getting rid. They are a fine hunting rifle, if not the best in my own humble opinion.

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    I have just ordered one in .20 left handed thumbhole and cant wait to get hold of the gun. Always fancied something decent in this calibre which will be a pleasant change to the usual .177 currently available in the rest of my armory! Owned a few Rapids over the years and have always regretted getting rid. They are a fine hunting rifle, if not the best in my own humble opinion.

Andy
    Hi Andy,
    Be interested to hear how you get on with .20 as I'm looking to get one myself, either a second hand Rapid MK2 if I can find one, a GSX200 or HM1000.

hi guys . i owned a very early .20cal rapid bought it in 1994 i think . i was set at 27ftlb which shot some pellets at 1100fps , not accurate .
    so dropped it down to 25 and used crossman prems , it loved them (die no 1). when they stopped them in the uk that was it for me . testing against a rapid 22fac the 20 shot flatter and i have taken rabbits at 90 yards with it .
    i used it on the back of jeeps partnered by a 22lr and the combo worked well in pest control. i still use a 22fac rapid which is probably 20 years old as its number is in the sub 00500. think my 20 was 00376 0r 00476.
    have fun with your new gun .
    rapid 7 fac - bsa ultra multi - anschutz 22lr - cz 452 .17 hmr -243 sako 75 - berretta 686 20 bore -

Like most of my PCPs I moved the .20 HM on after about a year. I very much regret it as I am now going to have buy another ! Will go .177 this time and use heavier pellets probably Bis Mags/Barracuda Match. They are a really fine gun and beautifully well made. Highly recommended!
    Andy

Like most of my PCPs I moved the .20 HM on after about a year. I very much regret it as I am now going to have buy another ! Will go .177 this time and use heavier pellets probably Bis Mags/Barracuda Match. They are a really fine gun and beautifully well made. Highly recommended!
    Andy
    I'm sorry I missed your sale Andy as I'd really like a HM1000 AND as an added bonus you are left handed too!!
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Hi Nick!
    I must admit that I was surprised that you didn't buy the last HM. They really are a fine gun with superb build quality and a real solid feel to them. Accuracy wise comparable with a German converted match rifle. Yet another gun I should have kept hold of, just like the MK2 Rapid you bought from me on here, what, 15 years ago now?
    Hopefully picking the left handed thumb-hole HM from Mike Tawn on Tuesday, weather permitting!
    Hope you continue to enjoy your own shooting.
    Andy

Hi Nick!
    I must admit that I was surprised that you didn't buy the last HM. They really are a fine gun with superb build quality and a real solid feel to them. Accuracy wise comparable with a German converted match rifle. Yet another gun I should have kept hold of, just like the MK2 Rapid you bought from me on here, what, 15 years ago now?
    Hopefully picking the left handed thumb-hole HM from Mike Tawn on Tuesday, weather permitting!
    Hope you continue to enjoy your own shooting.
    Andy
    Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

I will put some in the magazine soon. The new gun really is fantastic. It just feels so well put together and performs superbly well with the usual RAW accuracy. Even the thumb-hole stock is gorgeous and I have been lucky to get one with such nice graining. Trigger superb and breaks at a measured 6 ounces. 4 fps variance over 34 shots with unweighed JSB Heavy's. I would have to say that it is accurate as my fully fettled Anschutz target rifle, but is far more fun to shoot!
    Andy

They are good (own all versions bar the BM and .357) but can be improved on........ the carbon on the barrels is crap, silencer is so so. Action can be made near silent quite easily. I look on them as the mk3 rapid.