Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: crosman 1377 what mods are a must have ?

Indeed.
    I must say rifles really annoy me, if a little 1377 can do 6fltbs (and more in the states), why do rifles have to be so bloody big and heavy?
    I've got an HW45 that's running at 5.2 ftlbs, why doesn't someone make a rifle version of that, barrel over the cylinder style? It would be half the length of a normal springer and it would give firearm feeling recoil.
    I've made one of my 1377s into a carbine, with a QD stock attachment. Using the peep sight I've basically got a take-down Sharp Innova, albeit running at 5.8ftlbs and not 11 or so. But thinking on a 177 pellet launched at 6ftlbs is faster than a 22 launched at 12, so if you can shoot 22 out to 45yds I should be able to shoot my 1377 out to the same range.
    Rambling a bit, but I think I'm trying to say - don't get hung up on power, if you're not hunting you don't need it.

Thanks to all for the great information. Definitely will look into polishing up the action as suggested by Biker_Bob. Just received the black pump arm from SDCustom to avoid being bitten when pumping (plus black Crossman grips). Bought a used 1377 running at around 3ft.lb on 5 pumps and around 4.5 with 10 pumps. I will look at whether the tranfer port mod needs to be done. Not sure about the flat top piston mod yet (cost v benefit).

Quote Originally Posted by Biker_Bob View Post
    why do rifles have to be so bloody big and heavy?
    I've got an HW45 that's running at 5.2 ftlbs, why doesn't someone make a rifle version of that, barrel over the cylinder style? It would be half the length of a normal springer and it would give firearm feeling recoil.
    Yes, Bob, I have often made the very same request.
    When you look at how compact the 45 is, for 6ft.lbs, with its dimunitive cylinder dimensions, a rifle version could be compact and lightweight. Even with a longer cylinder, it'd still be mega compact with the barrel over cylinder arrangement. Superb trigger, too.

Not so sure about the recoil/surge characteristics, though?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    It is a pistol, is logged as a pistol, so if you fit the longer barrel and shoulder stock, it is still a pistol and must remain at below 6 ft lb, which makes it unsuitable for hunting!

Mmm.....a topic that's been debated many times.

Any clear / definitive answers?

Whilst some will say, "Once a pistol, always a pistol, no matter the modifications", many others have stated that if the stock is permanently attached, and if the barrel is over 12" long (which you would want, and more, for power production), then it's legal.

Of all the pump up platforms, I love the 1377....An absolute doddle to work on, parts plentiful and cheap, very accurate and, with a little trigger work, even easier to extract accuracy from.

I've often thought of a 14" barrelled version, even running 9ft.lbs, for some short range ratting duties. Either nice, soft flat heads, or maybe just stick a .22 Ratcatcher barrel on.

Quick follow up shots would always be an issue, though!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I'm very happy with mine now.
    I've done the power tune, made a QD shoulder stock attachment, polished the trigger.
    I cut 2mm off the (far too wide) front sight blade and inset a 1mm pin, ground to a point - this greatly improves the accuracy when using the peep sight at the rear.
    The only thing I'm thinking of now is a silencer, they're pretty loud when running at full power.
    Is the Gmac brass barrel band and silencer adaptor (£40) the cheapest way to do it?

I've looked loads to see what can be done for silencer, the Gmac threaded band is only one out there (shame it's not black as brass doesn't go with my 13xx) the only alternative is longer barrel and adaptor, so if you can get for less than £40 which is quite possible, then do that (drill out existing band or buy the 2289 band. After that the metal bands are all £30 plus so the threaded one works out cheaper....

I will probably end up buying one and seeing if I can have it duracoated or something

Quote Originally Posted by StuartC View Post
    Aside from the stock, the steel breech, which lets you use either a scope or better open sights, you should consider getting a forearm from a Crosman Backpacker.

It is wider and deeper than the really skinny one that comes on the 1377. Being deeper, it will save you from taking a chunk of flesh out of your palm. After getting bitten for the last time by my 1377, that's what I did. THIS is one of the best mods. Custom wood grips are out there that achieve the same thing. A black forearm from a Backpacker also looks good with the 1399 stock.

You won't regret it. Ever!

Stuart
    I have just fitted the black forearm from SDCustom, this seems to be the same as the one fitted to the backpacker. It was really difficult to fit because the size of the holes in the plastic were extremely tight when putting the pins back into it. But now that it is fitted it does greatly aid pumping the gun and is very securely attached (it's on forever).