Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10m airpistol training techniques

10m airpistol training techniques

Do anyone have some training techniques they use, know of and have found particularly useful they want to share?

Please feel free to post some photos, video links or anything else that might be useful?

Cheers!
    Last edited by Eidem; 09-02-2014 at 12:13 PM.
    Wanted part new/used: Model 65, 80, 90 part 1600.178.1 Führungsachse, hinten ø 4,615 Guide axle, rear, ø 4,615

I will start

I have found it hard to practice on a proper aiming point. I have tried various aiming points.
    Aiming at the bulls eye I find to be hard, it is hard to see accurately where one is aiming and
    it is hard to see if the sight picture changes slightly.
    I tried aiming at the bottom of the black, but the front sight tends to bend the view a little
    making it hard to aim at the same point.
    So I found that one needs to sight at a point a little under the black.
    To practice getting used to aiming at the same point and to get used to "seeing" the 10
    I practise on targets where I have drawn a solid black line where I am supposed to aim at.
    Aiming point

Targets
    Wanted part new/used: Model 65, 80, 90 part 1600.178.1 Führungsachse, hinten ø 4,615 Guide axle, rear, ø 4,615

Pick up your gun, shove a bullet up the spout
    It's the Major Dennis Bloodnok Rock'n' Roll Call Tango

Eidem,

Some aspects of technique remain the same & others develop. The books written by Laslo Antal in the 1990's are still worth reading & much is still relevant. Coming up to date the following book is as good as it gets:
    http://www.edinkillie.co.uk/ecatalog....html?cPath=35

I used to shoot 50m free pistol & 10m air pistol was an important part of the training for free pistol & also a worthy competition in it's own right.

A few techniques I used & which are well known were dry firing when holding the pistol facing a white or light coloured wall - this enables good inspection of any movement of the sights when releasing the trigger.

A more interesting technique was firing a string of shots on a reversed blank white target - generally the group may extend vertically as there's no aiming reference point but the width of the group should quite small as the actual sides of the target give an unconscious reference point. Using this technique there's no desire to try to hit a 10, only the desire to release a perfect shot. The group size is secondary to this ideal of a perfect 'release' but over time it's amazing how small the groups fired on a blank target can be.

Regards
    Russell

Also read somewhere about Having a cross on a window and dry firing while aiming through that cross also aiming at a point outside to determine if it is the arm or the body moving.

and not as rules. ATB. Pete.I've been doing a lot of experimenting with my HW45, mainly because its still giving me problems with consistency. Theres a lot of advice on grip. Which fingers to apply most pressure with. Death grip to fledgling hold. I'm of the opinion that mastering the trigger release is the thing to work on. Not disturbing the sight alignment and sight picture when moving that trigger are the most difficult to master for me. With all this in mind, I've now settled on a "holding a childs hand" pressure (22 Plinkster & Nygord advice) which is easy to get consistently and causes least strain over extended practice sessions. In fact I now don't even think about the grip once instated, and can concentrate just on trigger squeeze, and watching the front sight for movement. I use middle and ring finger (equal pressure) on front strap pulling straight back into inside bulge of thumb fat. Little finger and thumb just relaxed. I've seen conflicting advice on which fingers to use on front strap, so have come up with my own hold. Some state that ring finger should be used to apply most pressure, and others say it can cause elevation issues. Some say only middle finger to apply any pressure. I reckon were all unique and should use all advice as a guide
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Somethings gone wrong with my post above. Hope you can make sense of it. ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by webley701 View Post
    A few techniques I used & which are well known were dry firing when holding the pistol facing a white or light coloured wall - this enables good inspection of any movement of the sights when releasing the trigger.

I was doing this earlier before I saw the post, felt like a good thing to do to practice trigger control and follow thru
    Thanks - Geoff.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by webley701 View Post
    A more interesting technique was firing a string of shots on a reversed blank white target - generally the group may extend vertically as there's no aiming reference point but the width of the group should quite small as the actual sides of the target give an unconscious reference point. Using this technique there's no desire to try to hit a 10, only the desire to release a perfect shot. The group size is secondary to this ideal of a perfect 'release' but over time it's amazing how small the groups fired on a blank target can be.
    Depressingly so sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post
    I was doing this earlier before I saw the post, felt like a good thing to do to practice trigger control and follow thru
    Me too, yesterday with a HW40, which even with it's sweet trigger, this technique allowed me to see very small movement of the front sight. This technique will help trigger release and follow through with all my pistols, especially those with much more recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    Me too, yesterday with a HW40, which even with it's sweet trigger, this technique allowed me to see very small movement of the front sight. This technique will help trigger release and follow through with all my pistols, especially those with much more recoil.
    Do most pull trigger all the way back and hold till pellet has hit, or pull just to the point of let off. Reason I ask is, Im finding my trigger action different for different triggers and think maybe I should have the same technique for all guns. ATB. Pete.

I tend to holding it at where it released, still viewing through the sights.
    Most of the times I can see the pellet fly , and then release.

Quote Originally Posted by peteswright View Post
    Do most pull trigger all the way back and hold till pellet has hit, or pull just to the point of let off. Reason I ask is, Im finding my trigger action different for different triggers and think maybe I should have the same technique for all guns. ATB. Pete.
    I have not thought about it in that detail, but I'm fairly sure I gently squeeze the trigger until the release and do not stop until the pellet has landed (whilst keeping the sights on target for follow through). I do not think I would alter my pressure on the trigger whilst the pellet is about to be propelled.

A very useful practice technique for me has been standing close, say 10ft, and shooting a pellet at center of blank target, then trying to shoot 5 or 10 shots into the same hole (or a small group). Then further away a ft or two, but don't move back until consistent groups are achieved. If its not a good group, you stay at that distance until it is! This is one and two handed. I'm still struggling to do this back to 6yds ATB. Pete.