Thread: the best way to get rid of pitting on a project rifle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by valboskie View Post
    What is the best method or products to get rid of pitting on the action of a rifle.
    Im trying to restore a 1965 webley Falcon for my son as an open sight plinker.
    I sanded the bluing off with 80 grit wet and dry nearly 4 hours of sanding and the whole
    Action looks leopard print it feels smooth in places but there are darker grey marks and a few small holes.
    I know a few on here have restored rusty pitted rifles.How did you solve the problem.I want to blue it so any advice would be brilliant.
    Atb
    David
    If it is a cheap old plinker, some kind of hard paint done in several thin coats would smooth it out eventually.

The other thing you could think about would be getting it plated with nickel or chrome. Colin Malloy at Manchester Air Guns can do this or you might be able to get a local plating firm to do it for less money. Just make sure they don't plate the bore or inside of the cylinder. I've never done this but a think enough layer of plated metal will cover up the problem.

I've had Mr Colin Malloy recue some almost 'scrappers' by his polishing techniques then re bluing.

Contact Colin and see what he thinks.

Cheers

Steve ( ;-)>